Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Texas and Pac-12 expansion

CharcoalPuppy

Would anyone be opposed to this ? With Greg Abott in the governor's seat ,Texas might finally have the power to do what they have tried to do at least two times in the past.

Meh

We didn't join the PAC last time because we're gonna make a helluva lot more money with LHN. Word is, ESPN overpaid us for LHN to keep Tier 1 UT football broadcasts under their umbrella. Personally, I don't see UT making the move for two reasons:

1. Travel would be too much for every sport and inconvenient for our fans. Not to mention West Coast night games are lower rated and don't make a favorable impression on the eastern media and pollsters.
  2. Deep down, we like to be the lead dog. Do you see our people taking marching orders from L.A.? I don't. IMO, UT would rather add a couple G5 teams and keep the Big12 afloat

http://www.hornsports.com/forums/topic/10391-big-12-expansion-project/

Meh

We didn't join the PAC last time because we're gonna make a helluva lot more money with LHN. Word is, ESPN overpaid us for LHN to keep Tier 1 UT football broadcasts under their umbrella. Personally, I don't see UT making the move for two reasons:

1. Travel would be too much for every sport and inconvenient for our fans 
  2. Deep down, we like to be the lead dog. Do you see our people taking marching orders from L.A.? I don't. IMO, UT would rather add a couple G5 teams and keep the Big12 afloat

http://www.hornsports.com/forums/topic/10391-big-12-expansion-project/

Well poop.... I'm assuming Tech,Oklahoma and oklahoma state would be coming with us, so that should ease some of the travel costs.

Aside from that , our fans don't travel all that well anyways so it doesn't really seem like a huge deal....

Your second point does raise a big issue though.... Texas would have to swallow its pride.

In the end I don't know if it will happen but I hope it does.

Well poop....

Plus, your OP implied that Governor Goodhair could've somehow prevented us from joining the PAC. Why if aggy was able to leave for the SEC? We've had multiple opportunities to join the PAC (& SEC, & B1G) and declined to do so.

Yes, maybe state politics played a part in the past, but I don't think that was the case during the last realignment wave.

Plus, your OP implied that Governor Goodhair could've somehow prevented us from joining the PAC. Why if aggy was able to leave for the SEC? We've had multiple opportunities to join the PAC (& SEC, & B1G) and declined to do so.

Yes, maybe state politics played a part in the past, but I don't think that was the case during the last realignment wave.

One thing I didn't think about earlier, is how much more successful the Pac-12 has become in football overall as a conference. 

They don't really need Texas like they did 5 years ago, and then there is that pesky old Longhorn Network.  

Lastly - just to play devil's advocate - let's say UT does agree to join the PAC. The only scenario I think would be palatable is if we take our block of four Big12 defectors to form exciting (and incomparable) PAC-16 South.

UT

OU

OSU

Tech

AZ

ASU

USC

UCLA

Hell, sign me up! But, I don't think the northern CA schools and original Pac-8 members would be agreeable to this because everyone wants annual games in SoCal for recruiting. Too many political and scheduling hurdles to overcome.

Maybe it's possible that something like this comes to fruition. I just don't see it happening, but never say never!

One thing I didn't think about earlier, is how much more successful the Pac-12 has become in football overall as a conference. 

They don't really need Texas like they did 5 years ago, and then there is that pesky old Longhorn Network.  

Our LHN contract runs through 2030. I don't see how that can be assimilated into the Pac12 Network. 

Hey, I really like Pac-12 football. It's underrated, IMO, but I rarely stay up late to watch the night games. No, they don't "need" UT - especially if the Pac12 Network can't broadcast any games until 2031.

Lastly - just to play devil's advocate - let's say UT does agree to join the PAC. The only scenario I think would be palatable is if we take our block of four Big12 defectors to form exciting (and incomparable) PAC-16 South.

UT

OU

OSU

Tech

AZ

ASU

USC

UCLA

Hell, sign me up! But, I don't think the northern CA schools and original Pac-8 members would be agreeable to this because everyone wants annual games in SoCal for recruiting. Too many political and scheduling hurdles to overcome.

Maybe it's possible that something like this comes to fruition. I just don't see it happening, but never say never!

Hmmm.....What if they divide it up between the East and the West ? It's not as desirable but it would make it work better. 

To be honest, I'm not so sure this matters as much as it did even 5 years ago with social media and tech.

Our LHN contract runs through 2030. I don't see how that can be assimilated into the Pac12 Network. 

Hey, I really like Pac-12 football. It's underrated, IMO, but I rarely stay up late to watch the night games. No, they don't "need" UT - especially if the Pac12 Network can't broadcast any games until 2031.

Ok "need" is a strong word....desire ? want? 

and about that Longhorn Network, what a Cluster F*** that is...

Hmmm.....What if they divide it up between the East and the West ? It's not as desirable but it would make it work better. 

To be honest, I'm not so sure this matters as much as it did even 5 years ago with social media and tech.

So the Pac-16 East would be : UT, TTU,OU,OSU,UA,ASU,CU,Utah.

and the Pac-16 West would be : USC,UCLA,CAL,Stanford,Oregon,Oregon State,Washington,Washington State.