Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More attrition on the way?

Mike Roach

What a crazy day. Following the news on Cherry, multiple outlets are reporting that redshirt freshman running back Duke Catalon is no longer on the team. Horns Digest led the way, and Jason Suchomel of Orangebloods stated that the writing has been on the wall for a while. We are working to confirm this story but with press allowed at practice tonight we should know more.

The bright side is that both running back and linebacker are among the deepest positions on the team. One has to wonder if the pressure has been turned up a notch and is too much for some players.

The word in late July was that Duke was homesick. (I know, I know ... second time I've played the "I already knew this" card. I didn't hear anyone say he'd transfer, though.)

I have no idea how to embed tweets, but Nick Castillo nailed it: In sum: two guys at Texas' two deepest positions are transferring.

Duke's problem was that he was always banged up. He would have contributed this year and looked good doing it. I have serious doubts that he would have been available all year. 

As to what this news means, Kirk Johnson to the courtesy phone. I see him as the clearest competitor to what Duke was, but I thought we'd be able to redshirt Kiko if Duke stayed healthy. I'm very high on Johnson so I'm excited about the chance to see him early. I still expect Tristian Houston to redshirt, especially now that I see the roster still lists him at 200 pounds, not 215 like T-Rob claimed at media day. I'm cautiously optimistic about D'Onta Foreman — the mid-4.4 time is crap but not it's not that far off, and he's gained 26 pounds since last season. If the coaches can convince him that he's as big and strong as he is, watch out.

Thanks, Will. I can't keep up with where I've said what. We'll go into detail in tomorrow's 4th & 5, but this stuff isn't unprecedented for Charlie Strong. There is nothing to be worried about.

"Normal for Charlie Strong" at this point is pretty much code for "mid-major program level drama." At some time in the relatively near future, Coach Strong needs to move UT from the traits of a mid-major program and start delivering to the "UT standard."

Seriously. I understand why things under Coach Strong have occurred, but the drama is getting to be a bit much. More wins, less drama, back to what one expects from a well run, high level program. That would be a welcome change.

"Normal for Charlie Strong" at this point is pretty much code for "mid-major program level drama." At some time in the relatively near future, Coach Strong needs to move UT from the traits of a mid-major program and start delivering to the "UT standard."

Seriously. I understand why things under Coach Strong have occurred, but the drama is getting to be a bit much. More wins, less drama, back to what one expects from a well run, high level program. That would be a welcome change.

I honestly don't think it's that much drama to be honest. At least not any more drama than most collegiate programs have on a yearly basis. We're simply more clued into the thoughts and actions of the kids these days. 

I honestly don't think it's that much drama to be honest. At least not any more drama than most collegiate programs have on a yearly basis. We're simply more clued into the thoughts and actions of the kids these days. 

The irony that our resident drama queen bitches about drama. . . . .

CFS ain't playin'

It's about football . .. . and football players. . . .good luck to these young men

Last year was extreme drama. Three days in this year and we have multiple individuals walking away from the program, neither of which were related to Charlie enforcing his rules. Both were simply recruits Charlie offered walking away.

The "normal for Charlie Strong" needs to start moving towards "the UT standard." We have 79 scholarship players and I believe the 79 includes Clairington and Major. That isn't the UT standard. Just saying.

This is a genuine question..Is there a Div 1 program that did not lose atleast 2 players due to transfer/dismissals or any other reason this off season?

This is normal attrition...It's just under a micro scope because it's UT and we are also watching and anxious

"This offseason!?" The offseason drama is already behind us. Try "the third day of practice."

Name me one other major program with multiple recruits walking away this early, or that is down to 79 scholarship players and still with multiple recruits still not through the clearinghouse. This is not the UT standard.

drama-queen-graphics12.gif

Never let a good crisis go to waste, right Duke?

Looks to me like two young guys who didn't see much playing time in their immediate future bailed.

No hard feelings to either. And no drama.

When is the last time UT was down to 79 scholarship players with two more still not through the clearinghouse three days after practice had started?

I will give you a hint - not in any of our lifetimes.

And if anyone doesn't think there is still more drama to come, they are clueless.

This isn't the UT standard. Facing having 77 scholarship players even after moving up a grey shirt is not how serious programs operate.

At some point, things need to start turning around.

Last year was extreme drama. Three days in this year and we have multiple individuals walking away from the program, neither of which were related to Charlie enforcing his rules. Both were simply recruits Charlie offered walking away.

The "normal for Charlie Strong" needs to start moving towards "the UT standard." We have 79 scholarship players and I believe the 79 includes Clairington and Major. That isn't the UT standard. Just saying.

The UT standard. Was that the standard that included scholarship athletes being suspended or reprimanded for drug and alcohol use during the Mack Brown era? Let's be honest, we all expect the most out of Texas. But we haven't been "up to standard" in a very, very long time. 

If you want the UT Standard, you're going to have to be patient and let Strong get us back there. Losing players because of depth issues, is the best reason to lose a player. I don't think "attrition" is an issue another two-three years down the road. But it's not only reasonable to have attrition right now, it's expected. Rome wasn't built in a day. Let's not tear it down as quickly as Rome was.

When is the last time UT was down to 79 scholarship players with two more still not through the clearinghouse three days after practice had started?

I will give you a hint - not in any of our lifetimes.

And if anyone doesn't think there is still more drama to come, they are clueless.

This isn't the UT standard. Facing having 77 scholarship players even after moving up a grey shirt is not how serious programs operate.

At some point, things need to start turning around.

I have no idea if we've ever had 79 players on schollie in our history. You don't either.

It could also be argued things ARE turning around.

We lost two spare parts. This isn't a mackovic-AZ mutiny. Forgive me for being clueless enough not to freak out.

I have no idea if we've ever had 79 players on schollie in our history. You don't either.

It could also be argued things ARE turning around.

We lost two spare parts. This isn't a mackovic-AZ mutiny. Forgive me for being clueless enough not to freak out.

Scholarship limits went into effect on Sept 1, 1965. Since then, UT has never started a season with only 79 school players. Never. The Wickline lawsuit is going to bite the program on the ass when hiring coaches.

The program is not in good shape and it is not headed in the right direction.

Scholarship limits went into effect on Sept 1, 1965. Since then, UT has never started a season with only 79 school players. Never. The Wickline lawsuit is going to bite the program on the ass when hiring coaches.

since we have zero coaching vacancies, I won't worry to much about future hiring difficulties.

No, the program isn't in good shape. Hasn't been for years. I'll give the new guy more time to clean it up than one season.

True or false...you'll be happier if we go 6-6 so you can launch a barrage of 'I told you so's' than if we go 9-3.

How can that be? UT isn't participating in that lawsuit.  Are we so unstable in Texas that we're affected and influenced by things that have not happened?

The program is in great shape. If we march out with 30 players by God thats the 30 that want to be here and DKR would certainly smile about what Charlie is doing.

Texas has NEVER had a black head football coach before Charlie. That will likely have the same impact on 2015 as having 79 players. None.

How can that be? UT isn't participating in that lawsuit. Are we so unstable in Texas that we're affected and influenced by things that have not happened?

The program is in great shape. If we march out with 30 players by God thats the 30 that want to be here and DKR would certainly smile about what Charlie is doing.

Texas has NEVER had a black head football coach before Charlie. That will likely have the same impact on 2015 as having 79 players. None.

People conviently forget Joe Wickline came to UT at the request of Coach Strong. Yea, UT bears no responsibility. Bullshit.

Charlie offered him a job. It's not Charlie's responsibility to answer to OSU. Wickline made a choice.

Thats it right there.  Charlie offered a job and Wickline took it.  It was Wickline's choice.

And I don't care if we have the full 85 guys if 15 of them are wasted scholarships.  There was a tremendous amount of trash that needed to be taken out - and it happened.  Charlie Strong made the decision that he would rather go with the 79 guys that were willing to put in the work and that they shouldn't need to carry 6 guys with them.