Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

Opening Practice - (edit: report added)

So what are everyone's thoughts on if it is a tie CS will go with the younger player? I think it is a good idea. Ultimately CS will be determining whether it is a tie or a clear cut winner. I also was told of a couple of fights in the locker room. cherry v jinkins. And hill v someone ( I can't remember who). Any info on this would be appreciated

So what are everyone's thoughts on if it is a tie CS will go with the younger player? I think it is a good idea. Ultimately CS will be determining whether it is a tie or a clear cut winner. I also was told of a couple of fights in the locker room. cherry v jinkins. And hill v someone ( I can't remember who). Any info on this would be appreciated

Ultimately, I believe CFS is using this as a motivational tool for the upperclassmen to step up.

But, yeah, I really believe CFS will start the best player regardless of age. Sounds like it's getting chippy in the locker room. Competition - gotta love it! 

Sounds like we're getting our edge back. Days of complacency are over!

So you don't think fighting in locker room will cause tension and ultimately hurt team unity?

Haha not a chance. If anything it will make the team stronger. When you're out there sweating and competing in the 100 degree weather tension is going to build and tempers are going to flare.  Sometimes a good fight can help players gain respect and even trust for each other so that when things get tough in a game they know that teammates won't back down from adversity.

That's what I was thinking too. Sometimes the competition spills over into the locker room. Nate Newton talked about multiple fights in the Cowboys locker room while he was there. Didn't hurt their chemistry. 3 outta 4 SB wins, sould a been 4/4 but that's another story. I like the fact the young guns aren't backing down or being intimidated

Marcus Johnson was a disappointment last year, pretty much forgot he was even on the field at times. 

I have much higher hopes for Money Foreman than I do for Marcus Johnson.  Foreman barely played last year and we all saw his long TD catches last year towards the end of the season.

Foreman projects well to a Marquise Goodwin role - 3 catches/game that make enough of an impact that the defense focuses on him for 4 quarters.

Marcus Johnson & Petey Warrick will be the dependable/move the sticks guys. The pair combines to average 10 catches/game.

John Burt will come along slowly. Think 'Armanti Foreman in 2014' and I think you've got a glimpse of Burt's 2015.

Mix in 5 catches between Daje, Rod Bernard, TE's & McNeal and that's 20 completions/game. That's the ceiling, IMO.

Brian Jean Mary quote from media day

The best coach in the world is competition. Obviously we picked up the competition in the room. I don't think there's necessarily heat but there's going to be a different standard to get on the field.

Matt's beard is almost Kilimanjaro-ready:

Preseason practice No. 1 in the books. Coach Strong just spoke with media. Check coverage later…

A photo posted by Texas Football (@longhornsfootball) on

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:19pm PDT
<script async defer src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>

Dude, how much does that thing weigh?

DEFENSE

• First team unit:

DL - Shiro Davis ; Poona Ford ; Paul Boyette

LB - Naashon Hughes ; Edwin Freeman ; Malik Jefferson ; Peter Jinkens

DB - Duke Thomas ; Jason Hall ; Dylan Haines ; John Bonney

2nd team unit:

DL - Jake McMillon ; Tank Jackson ; Bryce Cottrell

LB - Trey Gonzalez - Cecil Cherry - Anthony Wheeler ; Peter Jinkens

DB - Antwaun Davis ; Kevin Vaccaro ; Adrian Colbert; Kris Boyd

For all the talk about our offense, I'm a little worried about our defense. Last year our defense was beautifully dominant for the majority of the season. This year I'm worried about our ability to replicate that as a lot of these names have not played many snaps together and therefore won't have much chemistry at first

DEFENSE

• First team unit:

DL - Shiro Davis ; Poona Ford ; Paul Boyette

LB - Naashon Hughes ; Edwin Freeman ; Malik Jefferson ; Peter Jinkens

DB - Duke Thomas ; Jason Hall ; Dylan Haines ; John Bonney

2nd team unit:

DL - Jake McMillon ; Tank Jackson ; Bryce Cottrell

LB - Trey Gonzalez - Cecil Cherry - Anthony Wheeler ; Peter Jinkens

DB - Antwaun Davis ; Kevin Vaccaro ; Adrian Colbert; Kris Boyd

For all the talk about our offense, I'm a little worried about our defense. Last year our defense was beautifully dominant for the majority of the season. This year I'm worried about our ability to replicate that as a lot of these names have not played many snaps together and therefore won't have much chemistry at first

Interesting Poona Ford on 1st team rather than Tank Jackson.  Tank was a starter before the injury last year.  Where is Ridgeway?

Interesting Poona Ford on 1st team rather than Tank Jackson.  Tank was a starter before the injury last year.  Where is Ridgeway?

Ridge was in The Pit with a couple of other guys (Holton Hill was one) nursing a minor injury.

Strong said Jackson would participate in some drills but, because of his foot issue, they were having to walk softly with him for a week or two.

Walk softly - get it? Sometimes I just crack myself up!

Kirk Bohls â€@kbohls 3m3 minutes ago
Texas offense was snapping ball with 30, 31 seconds left on play clock at times.

Brian Davis â€@BDavisAAS 4m4 minutes ago
Texas K Nick Rose drills home FGs from 21, 28, 33, 38 and 43 yards. A 48-yarder was no good. Couldn't tell on 53-yarder.

Dustin McComas â€@DMcComasOB 10m10 minutes ago

John Burt continues to get work with the 1's, and looks like he belongs there right now. #Longhorns#HookEm

Brian Davis â€@BDavisAAS 12m12 minutes ago
Interesting to see freshman DeAndre McNeal with the punt return guys.

Mike Finger â€@mikefinger 16m16 minutes ago
Longhorns' offense looking mighty righteous at open practice this morning.

Ryan Autullo â€@AutulloAAS 33s34 seconds ago
Freshman safety DeShon Elliott exits Bull In The Ring with a leg injury. Trainers take him to the locker room.

Daniel Seahorn â€@CoachSeahorn 36s37 seconds ago
And Cecil Cherry just buried someone.

Brian Davis â€@BDavisAAS 3m3 minutes ago

Whoa. Horns start the day with bull in the ring.

Kirk Bohls â€@kbohls 2m2 minutes ago
Texas WR Roderick Bernard running well after an ACL injury

Joe Cook â€@josephcook89 23m23 minutes ago
Offense is working on tempo. Lots of 3 wide sets from the gun. 3 wide to the field sometimes. #hookem

RedditCFB â€@RedditCFB 27m27 minutes ago
Texas is running up-tempo. Swoopes looks comfortable running it.

RedditCFB â€@RedditCFB 49s49 seconds ago

This might be the best amount of depth Texas has had at QB in over a decade.

Daniel Seahorn â€@CoachSeahorn 2m2 minutes ago
Special teams is working on punt block techniques. Lots of double thuds.

Kirk Bohls â€@kbohls 28m28 minutes ago
Michael Becker killing punts today.

William Wilkerson â€@WVWilkerson 2m2 minutes agoAustin, TX
Not sure there is a better coach to help with @tbhmcNEal maturation as a football player than@CoachTraylor. He just knows how to Coach

Joe Cook â€@josephcook89 30s31 seconds ago
Santos looks like he's taking everything full speed in drills. No brace noticeable from where I'm at.#HookEm