Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Big 12 Expansion Project

Well, let's play around with it a minute or two and see what we come up with, shall we?

1. Texas

2. Aggy

3. Nebraska

4. LSU

5. Arkansas

6. Arizona

7. Arizona St

8. OU

9. Okla St

Neither AZ school is "geographically close". They may be a good fit culturally, though.

I doubt Nebraska ever rejoins a league with UT in it, but never say never. 

ACC is the only option I like.  No way I'd go SEC.   It might just be personal preference but I like to think of Texas as being a poor fit for that conference considering how I think aggy fits perfectly (outside of competitive athletics).  I'd like to see:

1)  Independent.  I only like this option if we can broker a deal for annual games against say, 4 teams, with ND being one of them.

2)  Merge with ACC

3)  My favorite option.  Somehow cherry pick.  SEC is off limits as far as I'm concerned.  I met a person from Louisiana once and this was back when LSU sucked.  When I asked where they were from they told me "the SEC".  None of them would leave and frankly I don't like any of them as an institution outside of maybe Florida.  Couldn't we grab OU, OSU (insert 2 Texas schools, Baylor/Tech?), ND, BYU, FSU, Clemson, and then who cares who else??   Cincy and Louisville?  Maybe take Kansas with us for BB and a patsy FB game??   

So,

West:       East:

Texas      ND

OU          FSU

OSU       Clemson

Tech       Louisville

Baylor     Cincy

BYU        Kansas

There, greatest conference of all time.

West:       East:

Texas      ND

OU          FSU

OSU       Clemson

Tech       Louisville

Baylor     Cincy

BYU        Kansas

I admire your creativity, Brasky.

How and why do we dismiss TCU, K-State, Iowa State, and West Virginia? I do love the idea of being in a league with ND and FSU, though. BYU? Not so much.

I admire your creativity, Brasky.

How and why do we dismiss TCU, K-State, Iowa State, and West Virginia? I do love the idea of being in a league with ND and FSU, though. BYU? Not so much.

I don't think we have to give anyone a reason.  It's a new conference.  Did aggy or Nebraska ask what was going to happen to anyone when they left?  We can't just bring everyone along.  I think BYU would be fantastic in this type of scenario.  In our present conference, I agree, I don't see them bringing any excitement.  But in a conference like the one I proposaed I think they'd be a very exciting adversary for everyone.  They're very capaable which makes them dangerous and they're apparently fun for lots of people to hate.  

Just to make you happy I'll let you have WVa and give back Cincy or UCF/Kansas.  You can choose   :)

Well, let's play around with it a minute or two and see what we come up with, shall we?

1. Texas

2. Aggy

3. Nebraska

4. LSU

5. Arkansas

6. Arizona

7. Arizona St

8. OU

9. Okla St

TCU

Baylor

UH

Tech

W Va

Cincy

Memphis

UCF

KU

KSU

ISU

CSU

Look before you leap. This conference would include the only major conference schools located within DFW and Houston. It would include an ACC footprint team (W Va), an Ohio/BIG 10 footprint team (Cincy), an SEC footprint team (Memphis) and a foothold in Florida (UCF). Not to mention KU in basketball and an entry into the Rockies (CSU). We'll call it the Fertile Crescent Conference (FCC) or, if Texas is leaving, we'll just call it the BIG XII.

Or to put it another way, maybe Texas should concern themselves with winning the state back on the field and in living rooms before NSD. Texas will ultimately be stronger if they adapt to the bed they find themselves laying in (BIG XII).

I notice with all these hypothetical conferences that Texas is placed in the position of having a monopoly on recruiting within the state of Texas.

Damn those pesky Horned Frogs, Bears, Cougars, etc... How do we defeat them?

Realignment?

I kept Baylor and Tech in my dream conference.  UH isn't in our conference now and TCU came along late enough that I wouldn't feel too bad leaving them.  Besides, they don't support their teams.  In my eyes it isn't the level of competition in the SEC that separates it, though that is the case here and there, it's the support of the fans and the gameday pageantry from top to bottom.

I kept Baylor and Tech in my dream conference.  UH isn't in our conference now and TCU came along late enough that I wouldn't feel too bad leaving them.  Besides, they don't support their teams.  In my eyes it isn't the level of competition in the SEC that separates it, though that is the case here and there, it's the support of the fans and the gameday pageantry from top to bottom.

TCU doesn't support their teams?

How can you say that? They've just invested millions in upgrades to their football stadium and basketball arena. They've also made B2B College World Series.

You may not like TCU, but they're doing the right things to move their athletic department forward.

A blogger over at Big12 Fanatics, Johnny Incognito, has a good idea for hypothetical divisions if we added Cincinnati and Houston. This will include one crossover rivalry game to protect UT vs OU, BU vs TCU, Farmageddon, etc. IMO, the only stinker in that arrangement is UH vs KU. 

Tell me this league doesn't kick ass in basketball? 

West        East

Texas      Oklahoma
Tech        Oklahoma St.
Baylor      TCU
Cincy       WVU
KState     Iowa St.
Kansas    Houston

A blogger over at Big12 Fanatics, Johnny Incognito, has a good idea for hypothetical divisions if we added Cincinnati and Houston. This will include one crossover rivalry game to protect UT vs OU, BU vs TCU, Farmageddon, etc. IMO, the only stinker in that arrangement is UH vs KU.

Tell me this league doesn't kick ass in basketball?

West East

Texas Oklahoma

Tech Oklahoma St.

Baylor TCU

Cincy WVU

KState Iowa St.

Kansas Houston

Some excellent baseball teams in there as well

TCU doesn't support their teams?

How can you say that? They've just invested millions in upgrades to their football stadium and basketball arena. They've also made B2B College World Series.

You may not like TCU, but they're doing the right things to move their athletic department forward.

I like TCU just fine.  In fact I don't dislike htem in the least and find myself pulling for them any time they play outside of one date.  It certainly isn't that.  I don't know the numbers but the attendance seems pitfiful for a perennial top 15 team.  Am I wrong?

I like TCU just fine.  In fact I don't dislike htem in the least and find myself pulling for them any time they play outside of one date.  It certainly isn't that.  I don't know the numbers but the attendance seems pitfiful for a perennial top 15 team.  Am I wrong?

TCU claims to have averaged over 45k per home game in 2015. Look under "Schedule and Results"

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/longhorns/article/Digital-traffic-sign-hacked-to-read-OU-still-6834825.php

920x920.png

Digital traffic sign in Austin hacked to read 'OU still sucks'

A digital traffic sign was hacked to read "OU Still Sucks" Tuesday morning at Rio Grande and 24th Street in Austin, according NBC affiliate KXAN.
No one is sure who the digitally savvy pranksters behind the hacking are, but considering the location and message, the search should probably start within Burnt Orange Nation.

Times have been tough for Longhorns football fans, with the team sputtering to two consecutive losing seasons for the first time since 1988 and '89, but Texas has managed to upset Oklahoma in two of their past three meetings.

• 3 weeks later...
Let me tell you how you identify a hit piece such as this: There is not one new quote from Boren contained therein that bolsters the articles premise. My point is not to defend Boren or his stance on Big XII expansion but to point out propaganda when I see it. Further, as for this gag order that the conference has imposed on its members, just what is the conference going to do if members do not abide? The gag order is just a trumped up way of Texas telling Boren to shut up. No repercussions are to follow if OU breaks ranks and speaks its mind. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Let me tell you how you identify a hit piece such as this: There is not one new quote from Boren contained therein that bolsters the articles premise. My point is not to defend Boren or his stance on Big XII expansion but to point out propaganda when I see it. Further, as for this gag order that the conference has imposed on its members, just what is the conference going to do if members do not abide? The gag order is just a trumped up way of Texas telling Boren to shut up. No repercussions are to follow if OU breaks ranks and speaks its mind. Nothing to see here. Move along.

And yet here you are  ;)

I won't disagree with your "hit piece" assertion, but I believe it's written from a KU fan/alumnus perspective. So, you see, it's not just mean ol' Texas who'd like for Boren to shut up. No, there won't be any "repercussions" if the okie buffoon, Boren, continues to posture and make empty threats like a has-been politician clamoring for attention.

Frankly, I doubt he'll live long enough to see the end of the current Big12 GoR. I also suspect he doesn't have the votes necessary to push through anything this summer, but maybe I'll be surprised. I guess we'll see.

The Texas comment was meant to illicit a response. I was just throwing around ridiculous ideas like the artlcle that was linked.

On a serious note, has anybody been able to determine which teams are pro and anti rapid expansion.

I think we can say OU is pro with Texas and apparently KU against. What is your read on the other 7 co-members of the BIGXII?