Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Big 12 Expansion Project

From your recent posts on the expansion issue it appears the BIG XII may have leveraged the UH's and Cincy's to get themselves a nice raise. I can't read the tea leaves but I really want UH in the conference. Can you imagine what would happen if they receive an SEC invite at the end of this? 

That's my prediction - UH & UC plus a raise and GOR extension thru 2031 (LHN's expiration date)

Sorry, but no way in hell UH ever gets an SEC invite. They've already got aggie as their Texas B-lister. UT would be the only other team from TX they'd accommodate, IMO.

That's my prediction - UH & UC plus a raise and GOR extension thru 2031 (LHN's expiration date)

Sorry, but no way in hell UH ever gets an SEC invite. They've already got aggie as their Texas B-lister. UT would be the only other team from TX they'd accommodate, IMO.

Am I reading you correctly? You think we add UH & Cincy, get a raise from ESPN/FOX and extend the GOR?

I must have been unclear. From the releases it appears to me that the threat of adding UH and Cincy is all the BIG XII needs to do to get a pay raise from the networks, provided they DO NOT ADD ANYONE.

Am I reading you correctly? You think we add UH & Cincy, get a raise from ESPN/FOX and extend the GOR?

I must have been unclear. From the releases it appears to me that the threat of adding UH and Cincy is all the BIG XII needs to do to get a pay raise from the networks, provided they DO NOT ADD ANYONE.

Big12 will leverage the verbiage in the current TV contract to get a pro rata increase - if not more - for adding two.

The networks have to give us one regardless. Live sports is the most valuable programming on TV and Bowlsby contends that the Big12's T1 & 2 rights are undervalued. The win for FOX is keeping UT & OU inventory with no threat of their departures until 2032. They'll be picking up most of the tab.

It isn't all about TV money. Navigate Research's data says the best route to the CFB Playoff is an 8-game league schedule plus conference championship game. Think about it - it'll mirror the SEC's winning template and there will be less self-cannibalization. The Big12's round robin hurts us in football. 

This is what OU really wants along with the flexibility 4 OOC games gives them to schedule another marquee P5 home date. Maybe they'll renew the Nebraska series? Their fans have been complaining for years that their home schedule isn't sexy enough.

Everybody wins. TV gets valuable Big12 programming. OU gets a more flexible schedule. UT gets enhanced political clout in TX - and a satellite research campus in Houston - by endorsing a viable UH program.

— Twitter API (@twitterapi) November 7, 2011

Translated – OU is trying to leverage Texas' support of UH as one of the two primary additions.

Think about it. Boren has been tripping over himself trying to get the league expanded. He's been one of the loudest advocates for it. Then Texas came out in support of Houston. Silence from Boren. Now this.

Plus – his reason is BS. I don't think ESPN would deny the Big 12 its right to be like other conferences just because they want to save a few. I think ESPN looks at these things with the eyes of opportunity, not burden. And I don't think the Big 12 should accept less just because an OU moron is afraid of upsetting ESPN.

Translated – OU is trying to leverage Texas' support of UH as one of the two primary additions.

Think about it. Boren has been tripping over himself trying to get the league expanded. He's been one of the loudest advocates for it. Then Texas came out in support of Houston. Silence from Boren. Now this.

Plus – his reason is BS. I don't think ESPN would deny the Big 12 its right to be like other conferences just because they want to save a few. I think ESPN looks at these things with the eyes of opportunity, not burden. And I don't think the Big 12 should accept less just because an OU moron is afraid of upsetting ESPN.

That's kinda what I read into Boren's nonsensical posturing, too.

OU had better not overplay their hand. They've got more to lose than we do if the okies follow thru on their threat to leave the Big 12. They've gotta be able to recruit TX and one game a year with aggy ain't gonna get them the exposure they need.

I doubt very seriously that OSU will get to tag along with them if they bail.

I like our conference. I am hoping that all the wide open offense eventually attracts the greatest defensive minds to counter what I think is our perception problem nationally: football fans across the country (IMO) cannot stand 67-62 games. They think it is making a mockery of the game. In some ways I think they are right but I also think if anyone could stop it they would. For better or worse, the BIG XII seems to be the whipping post for the trend. I think Leach at OU was the genesis. Thereafter, he moved to Tech and the Air Raid made Tech a legitimate threat. Now you can add OSU, TCU, and others to that mix. Add to that the new veer with the aerial threat that Baylor (Briles) introduced and that Texas has adopted and what we have is a Petri dish of yet unstoppable offenses. Therefore, the BIG XII can't play defense. Therefore, the BIG XII doesn't play real football.

Sigh, then we get articles like this: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2016/09/14/doc-shame-big-12-chase-cant-just-played/90371708/

When the schools who appear to be in the final running for addition to the conference show zero confidence in our ability to follow through our negative perception becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

"There's a strong feeling remaining in the television industry that the Big 12 is taking Tony Soprano negotiating tactics to the table by taking advantage of the pro rata clause. "ESPN and FOX have never been more aligned about anything than how they feel about this shakedown," said a television industry source. " - Pete Thamel

Interesting conjecture since the TV networks' crack legal teams approved the verbiage in the contracts. Now they're surprised that the Big12 actually intends to act on it? Foolishness

"Shakedown"? Tramel is a hack

Big 12 Expansion Drags On with No Clear Outcome

Typical politician administrator screw ups go gung ho on expansion, then quibble, waffle, and back stab.

It will be fun to see OU cut off their collective nose to spite their face by joining the S E C! But, maybe they do have a B1G invite in their pocket? Will the OK state legislature allow them to abandon little brother, OSU? Stay tuned...

I may be in the minority, but I'd like to see UT push to bring the band back together for SWC 2.0 rather than joining another league. I just can't see us playing 2nd fiddle to anybody else. We're Texas, by God!  \m/

TCU to the Pac-16 instead of Tech is feasible, I guess. Better market and travel to DFW. However, it's probably unlikely when you consider that every university in the current Pac is secular with no affiliation to a church.

But, UH to the SEC is pure fantasy. UT is the only other TX school they'll accept, IMO. Neither A&M nor LSU is likely to sign off on their addition.

Call me crazy, but I actually like the revamped Big 8 at the end of EDBS's article. Only 7 league games and greater flexibility to schedule meaningful OOC? Sign me up