Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

mitchlovell96

2015 predictions

Really need some football talk so I figured why not, I'll start with saying I think swoopes and heard split time first few series in south bend then heard takes job and runs with it. At ND I'm probably a little optimistic but I do believe we have a good shot because they aren't much better than us I think they're overrated as usual so I say we win a close one by a field goal. Home vs rice a good confidence boost and game to get some of the stud freshman experience beat rice. Home versus cal it'll be closer than some think but we win. Osu at home we win don't see where people say they are better than us. At Tcu very hard game to win we fight but lose. OU we win stoops is like Mack at the end of his era not good. K-state at home will be better than people think but at home we win a tight low scoring game. At Iowa state on Halloween we win. KU at home simple as they are Kansas we win. At West Virginia tough place to play I say we lose close one.Tech at home on thanksgiving our D will be damn good by then we'll win. At Baylor the end of year very hard game to pick but I say Charlie has the team rolling and we crush their playoff hopes! So I have US going 10-2 I know probably a little optimistic but that Norte dame game is huge if we can win it'll be a great confidence boost. I just don't see why where people have us with 6 wins. Let's hear your predictions fellow horns!

Really need some football talk so I figured why not, I'll start with saying I think swoopes and heard split time first few series in south bend then heard takes job and runs with it. At ND I'm probably a little optimistic but I do believe we have a good shot because they aren't much better than us I think they're overrated as usual so I say we win a close one by a field goal. Home vs rice a good confidence boost and game to get some of the stud freshman experience beat rice. Home versus cal it'll be closer than some think but we win. Osu at home we win don't see where people say they are better than us. At Tcu very hard game to win we fight but lose. OU we win stoops is like Mack at the end of his era not good. K-state at home will be better than people think but at home we win a tight low scoring game. At Iowa state on Halloween we win. KU at home simple as they are Kansas we win. At West Virginia tough place to play I say we lose close one.Tech at home on thanksgiving our D will be damn good by then we'll win. At Baylor the end of year very hard game to pick but I say Charlie has the team rolling and we crush their playoff hopes! So I have US going 10-2 I know probably a little optimistic but that Norte dame game is huge if we can win it'll be a great confidence boost. I just don't see why where people have us with 6 wins. Let's hear your predictions fellow horns!

I say we could beat everyone on the schedule save TCU. Realistically, I see us finishing with 8-9 W's + a bowl victory.

I'll say this, I think the Notre Dame game is much more winnable than people think. 

1-ND returns a lot, but they weren't a very good team last year. They finished 8-5 and these are the teams they beat. Rice 7-5, Michigan 5-7, Purdue 3-9, Syracuse 3-9, Stanford 8-5, North Carolina 6-7, Navy 8-5, and LSU 8-5. In other words, they didn't beat a team last year that had fewer than 5 losses. 

2-They remind me a lot of OU a couple years ago after the beat Alabama. A lot of hype around ND simply because they beat LSU in their bowl game. That LSU team wasn't very good last year, and they were in the middle of a messy divorce with Chavis. 

3-Malik Zaire, ND's QB, is relatively inexperienced. A QB that's only thrown for 266 career yards sure is getting a lot of hype. 

TCU is not unbeatable. Any given night, it can come apart for them. The key is, having the coaching savvy to cause that to happen. Hard to do against Patterson but it's doable.

I think good coaching pays big dividends. We will get "there" sooner than most think, certainly sooner the the pundits have been suggesting. I think this year will provide plenty of promise for 2016. We will play tough defense, something we all love. We will see improved QB and OL play. And I think we get an injection of energy in the special teams due to the new coach.

I think we end up playing several of the true freshmen. Lots of talent there to just see it sit a year. We'll be young and exciting, but we'll also make mistakes.

We'll be a different team this year. IMO, we'll see 8-4 at least.

TCU is not unbeatable. Any given night, it can come apart for them. The key is, having the coaching savvy to cause that to happen. Hard to do against Patterson but it's doable.

I think good coaching pays big dividends. We will get "there" sooner than most think, certainly sooner the the pundits have been suggesting. I think this year will provide plenty of promise for 2016. We will play tough defense, something we all love. We will see improved QB and OL play. And I think we get an injection of energy in the special teams due to the new coach.

I think we end up playing several of the true freshmen. Lots of talent there to just see it sit a year. We'll be young and exciting, but we'll also make mistakes.

We'll be a different team this year. IMO, we'll see 8-4 at least.

Come on Mark, I counted the word "sooner" twice in your post. Let's get with it!

Bad news is we get TCU early. . . I think the target on their back gets heavier with each win and the pressure grows.

Having said that, we get Baylor at the end and I've already called that a win for us.   1st trip to the toilet bowl (hey that's what it looks like)  Think we are rolling by year end with Heard at the helm.

As I've said all offseason. . .we face opponents in 3 tiers:

Tier 1, games we are underdogs

ND, TCU Baylor

Tier 2, toss ups,  +/- 6 points either way

OU, Cal, OSU, WVU KSU

Tier 3, games we are favored 6+

Rice, KU, ISU, TT

We go 1-3 vs top tier, 3-2 vs mid tier and sweep bottom tier, that's 8 wins.

I'll take a stab at it.  One of the interesting things about the schedule is how many home games we have.  That's important.

Notre Dame 9/5 - South Bend

The Domers are tough to beat at South Bend.  We lose this game, but we open some eyes and we make some conference members take note.

27-20  ND.  Heard never sees the field.

Rice 9/12 - Austin

Rice is better than most think, but the outcome is never in doubt.  Heard gets some relevant playing time.

48 - 10 UT

California 9/19 - Austin

This game is hyped as a tough one.  It isn't

35-10 UT

OSU 9/26 - Austin

This game WILL be a tough one and it will be back and forth, but UT has basically owned OSU in DKR.

24-17 UT

TCU 10/3 - Fort Worth

The first half will be close, but in the 2nd half, TCU runs away with it.

48- 21 TCU

OU 10/10 - Dallas

There will be much gnashing of teeth in Norman and Stoops will go on the hot seat.

35 - 10 UT

10/17 OPEN

KSU 10/24 - Austin

Snyder magic won't help him here.  Our superior talent will prevail

35 - 17 UT

ISU 10/31 - Iowa

Mis-match and it will look like it

35 - 3 UT

KU 11/7 - Austin

Beyond a mis-match - every member of the team will play.

55 - 3 UT

WVU 11/14 - West Virginia

We are upset in a close one.

21 - 20 WVU

11/21 OPEN

11/26 TTU - Austin

Barring any critical injuries and with our freshmen growing up, we are turning into a juggernaut

41 - 10 UT

12/5 Baylor - Waco

After this game, Baylor will consider re-installing their tarp.

55 - 35 UT

Season - 9 - 3

I think our defense will be good enough to keep us in every game. The key is going to be the offense. I expect it to be much improved over last year. That may or may not translate into a lot more wins. I would think 8-4 could be there, maybe even 9-3 with some breaks. A lot will depend upon the quarterback play.....as we all know.

I'll take a stab at it.  One of the interesting things about the schedule is how many home games we have.  That's important.

Notre Dame 9/5 - South Bend

The Domers are tough to beat at South Bend.  We lose this game, but we open some eyes and we make some conference members take note.

27-20  ND.  Heard never sees the field.

Rice 9/12 - Austin

Rice is better than most think, but the outcome is never in doubt.  Heard gets some relevant playing time.

48 - 10 UT

California 9/19 - Austin

This game is hyped as a tough one.  It isn't

35-10 UT

OSU 9/26 - Austin

This game WILL be a tough one and it will be back and forth, but UT has basically owned OSU in DKR.

24-17 UT

TCU 10/3 - Fort Worth

The first half will be close, but in the 2nd half, TCU runs away with it.

48- 21 TCU

OU 10/10 - Dallas

There will be much gnashing of teeth in Norman and Stoops will go on the hot seat.

35 - 10 UT

10/17 OPEN

KSU 10/24 - Austin

Snyder magic won't help him here.  Our superior talent will prevail

35 - 17 UT

ISU 10/31 - Iowa

Mis-match and it will look like it

35 - 3 UT

KU 11/7 - Austin

Beyond a mis-match - every member of the team will play.

55 - 3 UT

WVU 11/14 - West Virginia

We are upset in a close one.

21 - 20 WVU

11/21 OPEN

11/26 TTU - Austin

Barring any critical injuries and with our freshmen growing up, we are turning into a juggernaut

41 - 10 UT

12/5 Baylor - Waco

After this game, Baylor will consider re-installing their tarp.

55 - 35 UT

Season - 9 - 3

Ok, I got excited reading this. Nice post. I hope you're right.

If the offense gets it together: 10-2.  ND and TCU being the only losses.  Baylor wont be as good as everyone thinks, with Petty gone.  OU will be worse than last year.  TCU will win the division.  We place second behind TCU.

If the offense and special teams are terrible again: 6-6

If the offense gets it together: 10-2.  ND and TCU being the only losses.  Baylor wont be as good as everyone thinks, with Petty gone.  OU will be worse than last year.  TCU will win the division.  We place second behind TCU.

I predict 7-5, but yeah, if Jerrod Heard is starting and improves rapidly we could get to 9-3. Defense will be young, but should be solid again. Special teams need to step it up.

I just wanna see improvement over the course of the season. Last year ended with a resounding thud.

If the offense gets it together: 10-2. ND and TCU being the only losses. Baylor wont be as good as everyone thinks, with Petty gone. OU will be worse than last year. TCU will win the division. We place second behind TCU.

Curious who do you think starts most of the games at qb?

I see 7-5 but an improved team. just too many question marks and a tough schedule. I will be glad to be wrong though. The defense will be fine. Offense and special teams must improve. Special teams were an embarrassment last year. It was hard to watch. Can't wait to for the season.

Hook 'em!!

I predict 7-5, but yeah, if Jerrod Heard is starting and improves rapidly we could get to 9-3. Defense will be young, but should be solid again. Special teams need to step it up.

I just wanna see improvement over the course of the season. Last year ended with a resounding thud.

It really falls on how fast we start the season with Notre Dame being the biggest barometer imo. Win the first game or keep it extremely tight until the end and I think we can get to 9 wins. Get blown out and I'll start getting worried.

I think we could surprise quite a few teams this year.  Most of this depends on Offense and Special Teams of course.  I think we were better than OU last year and should have won that game and the Baylor game.  So 10-2 isnt beyond reach. 

I am very optimistic on our incoming freshman.  IMO the DB's and LB's could end up being one of the best classes UT has ever had.

Curious who do you think starts most of the games at qb?

My guess is Swoopes starts since he has the most experience.  He will most likely be the starter unless he starts having meltdowns like in TCU and Arkansas games.  If that happens we will see Heard.  

I worry about Swoopes confidence level, when things went bad last year it would get drastically worse as the game wore on.  If it happens again I am sure Strong will pull him in favor of Heard.