Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Notre Dame Game

Juan

Let's hope that it is a perfect storm game for Charlie Strong and the young Texas Longhorns... everything coming together and an epic upset of the Irish.

It could happen...

if it does, I have already told my oldest son he will help me drag our den sofa out to the back yard, set it on FIRE and then hoot and holler like we have lost our minds!!!

After the win click your heels together three times and you, your son, and your en fuego sofa will appear on a Morgantown street corner.

After a long offseason I think we're all a little bored talking to the same people over and over again. Good to mix it up this way. Plus I like UT, as do a lot of ND fans. You beat U$C in 2005/2006. 

In the spirit of that, let's turn yesterday's question around. What are the strengths and weaknesses of your team? What does UT need to do to pull out a win? 

That's a fair question since I asked you. The strengths and weakness of our team brings up a simple answer of I don't know.

QB Right now we have one QB who had a bad season last year. The other QB hasn't played a down, however is very talented. Right now no one knows what kind of play we'll get.

The WR and OL are both young and inexperienced so again I don't a clue on how they will play. Especially, against the great Notre Dame. :)

I believe Johnathan Gray will have a good season as long as he gets good QB and OL play to support him.

We loss some good defensive players from last year, but recruited some talented freshman which have already had a big effect on the team. I'm excited to see the defense play, especially our Malik. Under Mack Brown freshman were quiet, but not under Charlie Strong. CS said they have brought a lot of confidence to the team. We will see if they still have that confidence after playing you. My main concern about the defense is mental mistakes for easy TDs because of inexperienced.

To pull off the upset Charlie Strong will have to live up to the reputation of being one of the top defensive coaches in college football.

On offense to pull off the upset my hope is since Notre Dame has no film on us running the spread that will give us an advantage on offense. Although there are reports that it's the same offense, but at a faster pace. Hopefully, we can wear your teams sorry butts down :lol: since it's the first game of the season. Especially since we have to train in the miserable Texas heat.

That and we need improved QB and OL play. We need a QB who not turn the ball over.

The strengths and weakness of our team brings up a simple answer of I don't know.

That kind of reminds me of ND circa 2012. We really didnt know what to expect. It took until the third game (solid win at night at MSU) to start to know the team.

If you guys beat ND you'll feel pretty good, but a lot of the press will just say ND was overrated, so you'll still have to wait a few weeks to really find out.  

That kind of reminds me of ND circa 2012. We really didnt know what to expect. It took until the third game (solid win at night at MSU) to start to know the team.

If you guys beat ND you'll feel pretty good, but a lot of the press will just say ND was overrated, so you'll still have to wait a few weeks to really find out.  

For me, a close game against ND will feel almost like a W. I'll feel good if we can start the campaign 2-1 with home wins over Rice & Cal. \m/

Chip Brown just said the following:

Last year, Charlie Strong went out of his way during a preseason tour of the state to say the Longhorns weren't about to win the national championship.

This year, the tone is a little different from Strong.

At the Gridiron Kickoff Luncheon Thursday he said of Notre Dame being at 882 wins all-time, and Texas being at 881:

"Wouldn't it be great if we go up there, play lights out and tie that thing up? That's what I expect."

Jefferson’s development key for depleted Longhorns

2015-04-18_Orange_White_Scrimmage_Stepha

Considering everything head coach Charlie Strong has accomplished in his first year at Texas, his biggest victory may have been recruiting freshman linebacker Malik Jefferson.

Coming out of Poteet High School in Mesquite, Texas, as the state’s top player and the nation’s No. 10 recruit, according to 247Sports, Jefferson joins the Longhorns carrying lofty expectations. While any immediate contribution will help the team, he has the talent to be a true impact player from day one.

After committing to the Longhorns last December, Jefferson, eager to jump-start his career at Texas, arrived on campus in January to participate in spring practices. Like most freshmen, he initially struggled to learn his position in a new scheme. Despite early difficulties, he stole the show with a huge performance during the Orange-White scrimmage, in which he forced a fumble, broke up a pass and made six tackles, including one for a loss.

“Whenever you seen an athlete like Malik come in as a freshman, you always know he’s going to have a few hiccups here and there, but he always makes up for it in speed, and he’s always going to the ball,†Strong said after the Orange-White scrimmage. “He may not do it exactly the right way, but he’s going to be there to make the play.â€

Now, with a semester of experience and an offseason behind him, Jefferson is emerging as a leader in the locker room.

“I think [participating in spring play] separated me a lot from my freshman class,†Jefferson said. “Those guys look up to me every day and ask me questions, [and] I try to help them with what to do and what not to do.â€

The Longhorns need Jefferson to lead, both in the locker room and on the field. After losing six defensive starters, including top linebackers Jordan Hicks and Steve Edmond, this offseason, the Longhorns will have to fill several holes, especially at the linebacker spot. Now, despite never playing in a regular-season game, Jefferson is already a prime candidate to fill that void.

This offseason, Jefferson has done everything he can to prepare himself, including putting on 20 pounds to help him play the inside linebacker spot. While both Strong and defensive coordinator Vance Bedford pointed to Jefferson as an immediate contributor, they still need to factor in his inexperience. He will make his share of plays for the Longhorns this season, but they won’t come without growing pains.

“It’s a learning curve for him right now. He doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,†Strong said. “Right now, people have him on such a high pedestal, and he hasn’t played a single down of Division I football.â€

Jefferson is certainly a player to watch in Texas’ upcoming season, but his growth carries bigger implications. As Strong’s highest-ranked recruit — and likely the freshman with the highest ceiling — he has a legitimate chance to become the face of Texas’ new football era over time.

“I’m ready to go out there and ball and do what I’m supposed to do because that’s what Coach wants,†Jefferson said. “We’ll put in the effort to do everything we can to get ourselves back on the map and put the ‘T’ in Texas.â€

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/2015/08/24/jefferson%E2%80%99s-development-key-for-depleted-longhorns