Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Juan

Notre Dame Game

Malik wants to be the Big 12 defensive freshman of the year. Sounds doable.

Carlton: Why Texas linebacker, Mesquite Poteet graduate Malik Jefferson is not the typical freshman

AUSTIN – No matter what the Texas roster or the registrar’s office says, Malik Jefferson refuses to sound like a new guy.

“It’s amazing because some of the freshmen don't think he’s a freshman,†coach Charlie Strong said.
His fellow freshmen could be excused for the mistake. After arriving in January as an early enrollee following graduation from Mesquite Poteet, Jefferson has already acclimated as much as possible in the classroom and on the field. Looking every bit a bulked-up 240 pounds, Jefferson has taken first-team reps at middle linebacker in early practices — maybe the key position in the Texas defense.

“It’s a lot different,†Jefferson said. “You have to be real smart and know exactly what you’re doing.
In a talented freshman class, he’s clearly the most intriguing talent. He said his approach to Texas has been ingrained in him from his father and two brothers.

“They told me never act the age you are,†Jefferson said. “I knew coming as a freshman in the spring, I had to act older and grow up faster. That was part of the whole process.â€
Before ever taking a snap, he was answering questions at Texas’ first media availability. His responses were measured. If he was overwhelmed by the attention, it didn’t show. As one of the nation’s top outside linebacker prospects and one of the top recruits in the state of Texas, he had plenty of attention.

He understands the pressure he faces. At the same time, his own expectations are as high as anyone’s. He wants to start against Notre Dame in the season opener and become Big 12 defensive freshman of the year.
“I never say that I feel I’m better than anybody,†Jefferson said, “but I feel if I just go out and play my game, the sky is the limit.â€

Jefferson’s high-stakes recruitment came down to Texas, Texas A&M and UCLA. The rivalry between the Aggies and Longhorns gained new life online. Jefferson said he made his decision with Poteet teammate DeAndre McNeal after both prayer and meditation.
“I’m a yoga guy,†Jefferson said.

He’s also adjusted his allegiance. He once viewed one-time A&M standout Von Miller as a model. Now that he’s moved to middle linebacker, he’s adopted ex-Longhorn Derrick Johnson.
Don’t expect Jefferson’s adjustment at Texas to be smooth. For all his gifts, he’s struggled at times.

Jefferson drew rave reviews from media and fans after the spring game after forcing a turnover that led to a defensive touchdown.
Linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary had a different view. Jefferson graded out at 53 — the bottom of the linebacker group.

“Obviously, I have to be harder on him because we want him to be perfect,†Jean-Mary said. “But he showed you some of his big-play ability by some of the things he did. As far as the other 67-77 plays that he played, he was about 50 percent wrong.â€
He’ll have to be better.

Jefferson has already impressed the Texas upperclassmen. Defensive back Duke Thomas has noticed his leadership skills. Receiver Daje Johnsonsaid the hype isn’t misplaced.
“Everyone takes notice when a five-star [recruit] shows up,†Johnson said. “But he backs it up. He works hard, plays hard and has earned everyone's respect.â€

Infusion of talent
Breaking down freshmen who are already having an impact at Texas:

Middle linebacker Malik Jefferson: Has added more than 20 pounds since enrolling in January while his maintaining his quickness.
Offensive tackle Connor Williams: The Coppell product impressed in the spring and has a good chance to start at right tackle.

Tight end DeAndre McNeal: Jefferson’s high school teammate at Mesquite Poteet has made an impact in drills since moving from wide receiver.
Receiver John Burt: After a drama-filled recruitment process, the former Florida high school star has shown he might be the kind of playmaker that Texas has lacked.

Defensive back Kris Boyd: With fellow freshman Holton Hill sidelined by injury, Boyd is getting second-team looks.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/columnists/chuck-carlton/20150810-carlton-why-texas-linebacker-mesquite-poteet-graduate-malik-jefferson-is-not-the-typical-freshman.ece

— Twitter API (@twitterapi) November 7, 2011

..... Breckyn Hager, a former three-star recruit, is going to make it hard on you to forget his name by the time this class' time on the 40 Acres is over.

Hager, the No. 80 outside linebacker in 2015 who switched commitments from Baylor to Texas, made quick work of fellow freshman, 235-pound running back Chris Warren, in the "bull in the ring" drill at Sunday's practice where Charlie Strong calls two players to the middle of a circle where the object is to get your opponent to the ground.

He then crushed a running back in a drill involving both lines, running backs and linebackers, which prompted some head turning from Jefferson and fellow linebacker Dalton Santos.

"That boy Breckyn boy," Jefferson said.

"That boy Breckyn the truth," Santos said.

This all shouldn't come as too big of a surprise for those that have followed the Longhorns, or even the Big 12. Britt Hager, Breckyn's father, is UT's all-time leading tackler. He tallied 195 tackles in 1988 [record number at Texas] and 187 in 1987.
Breckyn's brother, Bryce Hager, was a 2014 All-American at Baylor that finished his collegiate career with 322 tackles, 24 for loss and 26 QB hurries.

..... Breckyn Hager, a former three-star recruit, is going to make it hard on you to forget his name by the time this class' time on the 40 Acres is over.

Hager, the No. 80 outside linebacker in 2015 who switched commitments from Baylor to Texas, made quick work of fellow freshman, 235-pound running back Chris Warren, in the "bull in the ring" drill at Sunday's practice where Charlie Strong calls two players to the middle of a circle where the object is to get your opponent to the ground.

He then crushed a running back in a drill involving both lines, running backs and linebackers, which prompted some head turning from Jefferson and fellow linebacker Dalton Santos.

"That boy Breckyn boy," Jefferson said.

"That boy Breckyn the truth," Santos said.

This all shouldn't come as too big of a surprise for those that have followed the Longhorns, or even the Big 12. Britt Hager, Breckyn's father, is UT's all-time leading tackler. He tallied 195 tackles in 1988 [record number at Texas] and 187 in 1987.
Breckyn's brother, Bryce Hager, was a 2014 All-American at Baylor that finished his collegiate career with 322 tackles, 24 for loss and 26 QB hurries.

He can't be very good Rivals had him as a two star recruit. :unsure:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Breckyn-Hager-149346

Where do you live now Blake? Sorry been MIA due to work and personal reasons.

Chicagoland. Moved up here a little while ago. Summer has been nice, we'll see how I feel about it in 2-3 months.

Check out the background pic for Malik's twitter page

He went with it

https://twitter.com/Official_MalikJ

If you can't beat'em, join'em.

I am loving me some Frosh Malik baby!!

Frosh Hagar is nasty - just like his Dad!!

I strongly suspect Frosh McNeal will be the next Finley / Thomas at TE!!

The frosh at ou suck !!

OK let's play Where's Waldo? 

OK, how many times have I used the word "Frosh" in this post?

Chicagoland. Moved up here a little while ago. Summer has been nice, we'll see how I feel about it in 2-3 months.

If you can't beat'em, join'em.

My favorite city.  Moved back from Chicago to Houston about 4 years ago.  Miss the food, but not the blizzards.

Have you been to Pequods yet?  Best pizza in the city.

I am loving me some Frosh Malik baby!!

Frosh Hagar is nasty - just like his Dad!!

I strongly suspect Frosh McNeal will be the next Finley / Thomas at TE!!

The frosh at ou suck !!

OK let's play Where's Waldo? 

OK, how many times have I used the word "Frosh" in this post?

arg-5-50.gif

My favorite city.  Moved back from Chicago to Houston about 4 years ago.  Miss the food, but not the blizzards.

Have you been to Pequods yet?  Best pizza in the city.

It's a pretty vibrant and cultured area. I'm enjoying it so far. I haven't lived in a Blizzard yet so we'll see how I'm feeling in a couple of months. 

I haven't been there but I'll put it on the list. The relative ease and getting a 10/10 pizza up here is wonderful. With that said, I'm only three months in and I'm missing Mexican food something terrible. I've been to several places thus far but none of them can hold a candle to some of the worst places I had in Texas.

It's a pretty vibrant and cultured area. I'm enjoying it so far. I haven't lived in a Blizzard yet so we'll see how I'm feeling in a couple of months. 

I haven't been there but I'll put it on the list. The relative ease and getting a 10/10 pizza up here is wonderful. With that said, I'm only three months in and I'm missing Mexican food something terrible. I've been to several places thus far but none of them can hold a candle to some of the worst places I had in Texas.

Congrats on the move Blake! Love Chicago but haven't been back in over 10 years. 

At least you're closer to those traditonal B1G schools.  Several B1G stadiums are on my bucket list! 

Congrats on the move Blake! Love Chicago but haven't been back in over 10 years. 

At least you're closer to those traditonal B1G schools.  Several B1G stadiums are on my bucket list! 

Yeah, maybe I'll be able to make the Texas/Michigan game in 2024. If I'm still up here around that time. Winter may send me packing.

I love me some Chicago pizza too

It really is the best. Outside of Cane Rosso in DFW.

At least he has a sense of humor about it. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

I like this in a QB.

“He’s got a ton of personality,†Strong said of Heard, according to ESPN.com. “He thinks he’s the starter, and he carries himself that way. He’s got that arrogance about him, which is fine.â€

Strong says he's not afraid to play freshmen

http://www.kvue.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/08/06/strong-says-hes-not-afraid-play-freshmen/31227715/

Read on a search just now...Royal felt the band was worth 7 points on the road.

Yep, he certainly did, and he made certain that we were treated like a part of the team. He frequently would visit our rehearsals (Memorial Stadium). He would stay for quite some time and talk to Mr. D, watch practice, and even climb on the tower to observe.

It really made us feel appreciated. The rehearsals were very spirited when he was there.

Amazing men, he and Mr. D.