Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Busy week in Bellmont: Patterson's axe, a new radio deal, and beer!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow!   The idea that Patterson wants quality control to work for $24K, in Austin, is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard.  Cut Stevie's salary by $150,000, or just fire the out of touch

Friends, Longhorns, Texans: I have just read this entire thread. Drumroll, please...   fwiw, Stevie used very poor judgement in raising ticket prices when he did, but I don't think he has much peop

Normally I agree that Chip Brown has a tendency to jump the gun on issues but whatever his true motivation may have been, this was one of the best pieces he's ever put out. He used direct sources with

UT athletics just released major news. Long-time SID John Bianco is leaving "to pursue other interests"

That is BIG!  Not sure what direction Patterson goes here with a hire. 

One thing, in my mind, it that Texas' presence with regards to Social Media has been sorely lacking.  That part of the "brand" needs a makeover.  Just my 2-cents. 

• Administrators

That is BIG!  Not sure what direction Patterson goes here with a hire. 

One thing, in my mind, it that Texas' presence with regards to Social Media has been sorely lacking.  That part of the "brand" needs a makeover.  Just my 2-cents. 

Agree. The way UT started approaching marketing/ticket sales changed substantially over the last 12 months. I'm sure the social media platform will continue to develop.

None of that is Bianco's bailiwick though. His departure will definitely cause a rift in the info flow.

Agree. The way UT started approaching marketing/ticket sales changed substantially over the last 12 months. I'm sure the social media platform will continue to develop.

None of that is Bianco's bailiwick though. His departure will definitely cause a rift in the info flow.

John's list of approved media outlets was very selective....and small. 

• Administrators
AUSTIN, Tex. (June 16, 2015) – Texas Athletics and IMG-College/Longhorn Sports Marketing today announced that the Austin Radio Network will become the new radio home for Texas Athletics.

The multi-year partnership between ARN and IMG will bring fans more live Longhorns athletics events and shoulder programming while adding a Spanish-language football broadcast flagship, beginning with the 2015 football season.

IMG, a global sports and media leader which manages Texas Athletics’ multi-media rights, negotiated the deal on behalf of the university.

ARN will simulcast across its platform of four FM radio stations and two AM stations live Longhorns sports events including football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, softball, and Longhorn Weekly coaches’ shows. ARN’s 104.9 FM “The Horn” will become the new flagship station.

The new broadcast rights partnership includes promotion across all of ARN’s six Austin stations and will bring fans more live game broadcasts, including the addition of softball, and new Longhorns news and talk programs. 

Through a co-venture with Fiesta 97.1 FM and KXNZ 1530 AM, ARN will broadcast all Longhorns football games in Spanish.

“Our new partnership with ARN will bring more Longhorn events and coverage to fans in Austin,” said Scott Willingham, General Manager of Longhorns IMG Sports Marketing.  â€œWe’re particularly excited about an abundance of programming in addition to football, including more exposure for Longhorns’ Olympic sports. The university’s student-athletes, teams, fans, and corporate supporters will all benefit.”

No changes are anticipated for the Longhorn IMG Radio Network talent or crew for the 2015 football season. 

“I want to thank IMG for their hard work and commitment in bringing a valuable broadcast partner into the Longhorns family. I’m impressed with ARN’s commitment to aggressively promoting all Longhorns sports in new and innovative ways,” said Steve Patterson, Texas Men’s Athletics Director. “Games will be heard by more fans, in more places, than ever before. ARN is a creative, home-grown commodity that has a genuine passion for The University of Texas and our community.”

Longhorn IMG Radio Network broadcasts for football, men’s basketball and coaches shows are available statewide on more than 30 radio stations. Texas games also will be streamed live world-wide (without cost) to Longhorns fans on TexasSports.com and on a separate digital streaming platform that is being developed in collaboration with ARN. The platform will feature live and archived content.

“Since 1893, The University of Texas Longhorns Athletics programs have been the absolute definition of hometown sports in Austin, Texas,” said Bob Cole, ARN’s Chief Executive Officer. “In 2012, we formed the Austin Radio Network, dedicated to the return of ‘hometown radio’ – both in ownership and programming. ARN is founded on the basic principle of being ‘hyper-local.’ We don't hesitate or apologize for going over-the-top in exhibiting any and all of the unique assets that embody the heart and soul of Austin's proud culture. Being locally owned is just the beginning. Being entrusted with the responsibility of broadcasting from UT's biggest stage is truly prime-time! We are abundantly grateful for the confidence placed in us by IMG. Our staff is as enthused, as we are humbled.”

Fans can find Texas Athletics sports broadcasts on:

KOKE-FM 99.3 FM

Texas Football

Texas Basketball-Men

KOKE-FM 98.5 FM

Texas Football

Texas Basketball-Men

KTAE-AM 1490

Texas Football

Texas Basketball-Men

KTXX-FM 104.9 FM

Texas Football

Texas Basketball-Men

Texas Basketball-Women

Texas Baseball

Texas Softball

"Featured Game" coverage for any or all of the other UT sports.

KTXX-HD4 - 105.3 FM

Texas Football

KLGO-AM 1260

Texas Football

FIESTA 97.1 FM (KTXX-HD2)

Spanish language Longhorn Football

KZNX-AM 1530

Please note: Texas football, and its related pre- and post-game programming will simulcast on ALL stations in the Austin Radio Network.  

The flagship sports station of The Longhorn Radio Network, 104.9 FM - The Horn, will be the primary home for all Texas Athletics sports contests and events.  

AUSTIN, Tex. (June 16, 2015) – Texas Athletics and IMG-College/Longhorn Sports Marketing today announced that the Austin Radio Network will become the new radio home for Texas Athletics.

The multi-year partnership between ARN and IMG will bring fans more live Longhorns athletics events and shoulder programming while adding a Spanish-language football broadcast flagship, beginning with the 2015 football season.

IMG, a global sports and media leader which manages Texas Athletics’ multi-media rights, negotiated the deal on behalf of the university.

ARN will simulcast across its platform of four FM radio stations and two AM stations live Longhorns sports events including football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, softball, and Longhorn Weekly coaches’ shows. ARN’s 104.9 FM “The Horn†will become the new flagship station.

The new broadcast rights partnership includes promotion across all of ARN’s six Austin stations and will bring fans more live game broadcasts, including the addition of softball, and new Longhorns news and talk programs. 

Through a co-venture with Fiesta 97.1 FM and KXNZ 1530 AM, ARN will broadcast all Longhorns football games in Spanish.

“Our new partnership with ARN will bring more Longhorn events and coverage to fans in Austin,†said Scott Willingham, General Manager of Longhorns IMG Sports Marketing.  â€œWe’re particularly excited about an abundance of programming in addition to football, including more exposure for Longhorns’ Olympic sports. The university’s student-athletes, teams, fans, and corporate supporters will all benefit.â€

No changes are anticipated for the Longhorn IMG Radio Network talent or crew for the 2015 football season. 

“I want to thank IMG for their hard work and commitment in bringing a valuable broadcast partner into the Longhorns family. I’m impressed with ARN’s commitment to aggressively promoting all Longhorns sports in new and innovative ways,†said Steve Patterson, Texas Men’s Athletics Director. “Games will be heard by more fans, in more places, than ever before. ARN is a creative, home-grown commodity that has a genuine passion for The University of Texas and our community.â€

Longhorn IMG Radio Network broadcasts for football, men’s basketball and coaches shows are available statewide on more than 30 radio stations. Texas games also will be streamed live world-wide (without cost) to Longhorns fans on TexasSports.com and on a separate digital streaming platform that is being developed in collaboration with ARN. The platform will feature live and archived content.

“Since 1893, The University of Texas Longhorns Athletics programs have been the absolute definition of hometown sports in Austin, Texas,†said Bob Cole, ARN’s Chief Executive Officer. “In 2012, we formed the Austin Radio Network, dedicated to the return of ‘hometown radio’ – both in ownership and programming. ARN is founded on the basic principle of being ‘hyper-local.’ We don't hesitate or apologize for going over-the-top in exhibiting any and all of the unique assets that embody the heart and soul of Austin's proud culture. Being locally owned is just the beginning. Being entrusted with the responsibility of broadcasting from UT's biggest stage is truly prime-time! We are abundantly grateful for the confidence placed in us by IMG. Our staff is as enthused, as we are humbled.â€

Fans can find Texas Athletics sports broadcasts on:

KOKE-FM 99.3 FM
Texas Football
Texas Basketball-Men

KOKE-FM 98.5 FM
Texas Football
Texas Basketball-Men

KTAE-AM 1490
Texas Football
Texas Basketball-Men

KTXX-FM 104.9 FM
Texas Football
Texas Basketball-Men
Texas Basketball-Women
Texas Baseball
Texas Softball
"Featured Game" coverage for any or all of the other UT sports.

KTXX-HD4 - 105.3 FM
Texas Football

KLGO-AM 1260
Texas Football

FIESTA 97.1 FM (KTXX-HD2)

KZNX-AM 1530

Please note: Texas football, and its related pre- and post-game programming will simulcast on ALL stations in the Austin Radio Network.  

The flagship sports station of The Longhorn Radio Network, 104.9 FM - The Horn, will be the primary home for all Texas Athletics sports contests and events.  

Which station can be heard in and around Houston? 

I like Bob Cole, listen to his morning show on KOKE 99.3 every morning on the drive in but this is a terrible deal. 

No more listening to Texas night games on the radio with the TV sound off for me.  I live in Western Travis County on Lake Travis.  104.9 disappears when the sun is setting.  All of Cole's stations lack broadcast strength, even the morning sun coming up disrupts all the signals.

I could pick up KVET 98.1 when I lived in San Antonio.

Cussword!

I like Bob Cole, listen to his morning show on KOKE 99.3 every morning on the drive in but this is a terrible deal. 

No more listening to Texas night games on the radio with the TV sound off for me.  I live in Western Travis County on Lake Travis.  104.9 disappears when the sun is setting.  All of Cole's stations lack broadcast strength, even the morning sun coming up disrupts all the signals.

I could pick up KVET 98.1 when I lived in San Antonio.

Cussword!

I'm worried about signal quality on 104.9, 99.3, and 98.5 as well. Their 1490 AM station is nothing compared to 1300 as far as distance. Also, will we have partner stations in the large metro areas of San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, El Paso, etc?

I have noticed the past few years that the radio footprint has shrunk quite a bit. I used to be able to hear Texas football on 1150 in College Station of all places back in the late 90's, early 2000's and that's no longer going. Also stations in Houston and San Antonio quite having basketball games and/or moved football to smaller stations that barely reached anywhere.

So I hope overall this agreement had some kind of distribution coverage lingo that made them upgrade the 104.9 signal quality to encompass the entire Austin metro and surrounding areas.

The biggest win in this agreement is that you will be able to stream for free live sporting events from Texas Sports. As it stands now, if you pulled up AM 1300 on your iphone/android device, it would have some stupid talk show on during the live football broadcast. They made you pay for the live feed through Yahoo I believe. (or you had to have satellite radio)

• Administrators

And the busy week continues.....this comes courtesy of UT's SID office:

AUSTIN, Texas—Beer and wine will be sold in all public and private areas at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium during Texas home football games beginning Sept. 12, with the 2015 home opener against Rice.

While beer and wine sales in the stadium do not require approval from the UT System Chancellor or Board of Regents, President Gregory Fenves and Chancellor Bill McRaven had thoughtful discussions on the matter, and Chancellor McRaven is supportive of President Fenves’ decision.

The new policy for home football games comes after a lengthy pilot program conducted at other Texas Athletics events since early 2014. All involved parties — Texas Athletics, UT Police, Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission and licensed vendor Sodexo Sports and Leisure — evaluated the effectiveness and safety of the trial. It was determined the service should be expanded to include all football public areas since the outcome was positive from a safety, community impact and fan experience standpoint. 

“Fan safety and enjoyment remains our number one priority as we work through the process of expanding beer and wine sales into all seating areas of the stadium,” said Texas Men’s Athletics Director Steve Patterson. “During our extensive pilot, we found fans and staff handled the situation responsibly and we had no negative issues or situations. We will continue to monitor the service closely.”

Just as similar services are offered in eateries, sports facilities, theaters and other establishments around Texas, all adult beverage sales at UT events is conducted through licensed vendor Sodexo and within regulations established by the state, university and Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. 

“We are expanding what we already do, in an effort to be more inclusive of all fans. Texas Athletics and Sodexo have vended these beverages in football private suites and club areas for several years without incident,” Patterson added. 

Texas Athletics has long participated in "21 means 21" campaigns with campus and local vendors and also works diligently during home events to ensure under-age individuals are precluded from consuming alcohol.

UT became the fourth UT System school — after The University of Texas at El Paso, The University of Texas at San Antonio and The University of Texas at Arlington ­– to serve adult beverages at sports events. Other in-state institutions offering similar service are the University of North Texas, SMU and the University of Houston.

The HD article is a free read. It's damning, but it's one-sided as well. 

People are resistant to change. How much of Patterson's work is needed/necessary change, and how much is accurately portrayed in Brown's column is the pertinent question.

Everything Chip wrote might be 100 percent correct. I just don't like the timing at all. I've been told Chip and Bianco are buddies. I don't think it's a coincidence the article was released a couple days after Bianco's "firing".

Like you said, there's always two sides to the story. The truth is probably in the middle.