Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Soft Big 12 non-conf sked

So getting tired of hearing this . . . 

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/99828/null

Soft nonconference scheduling leaves Big 12 with little margin for error

Last season’s Big 12 nonconference slate featured four marquee matchups that placed the league in the national spotlight. Collectively, the conference gained respect and performed valiantly. But ultimately, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Texas and Kansas State came up just short of toppling Alabama, Florida State, UCLA and Auburn, depriving the Big 12 of a signature nonconference win to slap on its résumé for the playoff selection committee.

This offseason, the Big 12 has gnashed its teeth trying to determine why it was the only major conference left out of the playoff even with a pair of worthy 11-1 squads. The lack of a conference title game. The lack of a 13th game. The lack of a One True Champion.

But with apologies to eight-win Minnesota, and seven-win Maryland, Iowa and Tennessee, nothing injured the Big 12 more last year when it came to making the playoff than its failure to produce a single noteworthy victory during the nonconference.

Which brings us to the upcoming season.

The Big 12 has gone soft with its nonconference scheduling again, leaving the league with even less margin for error.

Last year at least the conference had several opportunities to garner high-profile wins. This year, those opportunities are few.

Minnesota, Maryland, Iowa and Tennessee are back on the slate. And Texas Tech will have another crack against Arkansas. But Texas’ opening weekend trip to Notre Dame figures to be the Big 12’s only chance of landing a win against a top 15 opponent. And should the Longhorns fail to pull off the upset in South Bend, the Big 12 could be in the same predicament as last year when playoff deliberations begin.

"The better schedules we can play in the nonconference, generally speaking, the better off we are," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told reporters during Big 12 spring meetings last month. "We want to make sure we're matching up against the best in the country, because that's the way you demonstrate that you deserve to be in the playoff."

The Big 12, however, is going to have a difficult time achieving that in 2015.

Oklahoma and Texas are the only Big 12 schools without an FCS opponent on their schedule. And the toughest nonconference team the trio of Baylor, Kansas State and Oklahoma State will face might just be Louisiana Tech. Meanwhile, a sampling of showdowns from the other Power 5 conferences includes Oregon-Michigan State, Wisconsin-Alabama, Texas A&M-Arizona State and Louisville-Auburn.

Because it doesn’t have a 13th game or a conference championship, the Big 12 — fair or not — already seems to be operating at a disadvantage in the eyes of the playoff committee.

Nonconference scheduling is just one more area where the league is going to be working from behind the 8-ball.

"There's just no question that the committee compares those non-conference schedules,†playoff executive director Bill Hancock recently told ESPN’s Heather Dinich. “Teams who want to be in this playoff are going to have to prove themselves with their schedules.â€

For that reason, with only eight games in-conference, the SEC and ACC have adopted mandates, which require their schools add at least one Power 5 conference opponent in the nonconference.

Bowlsby said the Big 12 has deliberated on ways to improve its nonconference scheduling, from implementing a Power 5 mandate, to eliminating FCS games. But at last month's spring meetings, the status quo won out, for now.

"I really do believe that nonconference scheduling should reside with the institution. They know best what they think it takes to get their team ready for the [conference] season,†Bowlsby said. "Having said that, we have talked about the very real circumstance of a situation where you have a weak schedule and you've got two teams that are about the same, and one played a good nonconference schedule and one played a poor nonconference schedule.

“I don't think there's any question the one with the good nonconference schedule is going to get in.â€

That’s why Baylor could finally be coming around to upgrading its scheduling. Athletic director Ian McCaw indicated last month that the Bears are on their way to boosting their nonconference schedules from 2016-2020.

Still, that's not going to help the Big 12 with the committee in 2015.

Without a notable nonconference win, the Big 12's margin for error was slim last year.

With a weak nonconference schedule this year, those margins will be even slimmer.

If the Big12 had perennially competitive programs outside of Texas and OU, a strong OOC schedule wouldn't be necessary to prove your worth. The conference schedule would be more than enough.

Yep

The talking heads at ESPN, etc., don't give the Big12 any credit for our 9-game league gauntlet. Meanwhile, SEC teams play an FCS scrub or two - no harm done. It's about pedigree and TV ratings, unfortunately.

This is non conference schedule for the Big 12 for 2015. Pretty pathetic. These teams need to beef up their schedule or UT needs to leave the Big 12 once they become a power again.

Baylor - Lamar, SMU, and Rice

Oklahoma State- Central Michigan, Central Arkansas, and UTSA

Kansas State- South Dakota, UTSA, and Louisiana Tech

Kansas- South Dakota State, Memphis, and Rutgers

Oklahoma-  Akron, Tennessee, and Tulsa

TCU- Minnesota, Stephen F Austin, and SMU

West Virginia- Georgia Southern, Liberty, and Maryland

Iowa State- Northern Iowa, Iowa, and Toledo

This is non conference schedule for the Big 12 for 2015. Pretty pathetic. These teams need to beef up their schedule or UT needs to leave the Big 12 once they become a power again.

Baylor - Lamar, SMU, and Rice

Oklahoma State- Central Michigan, Central Arkansas, and UTSA

Kansas State- South Dakota, UTSA, and Louisiana Tech

Kansas- South Dakota State, Memphis, and Rutgers

Oklahoma-  Akron, Tennessee, and Tulsa

TCU- Minnesota, Stephen F Austin, and SMU

West Virginia- Georgia Southern, Liberty, and Maryland

Iowa State- Northern Iowa, Iowa, and Toledo

Agree that it isn't stellar and UT's is the most difficult road to the CFB Playoffs (not that we'll compete for a spot in 2015). But, let's look at the blue-blood SEC teams' OOC slates before passing harsh judgement.

Alabama - Wisconsin, Middle Tennessee, Louisiana-Monroe, and Charleston-Southern 

LSU - McNeese St., Syracuse, Eastern Michigan, and Western Kentucky

Florida - New Mexico St., East Carolina, Florida Atlantic, and Florida State

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/2015-college-football-schedules.php

Yeah, but looks at the SEC's in conference schedule.

Admittedly, Iowa State & Kansas should be gimme wins. But who else?

Which SEC sked in particular? Arky, Ole Miss, Miss State, & aggie haven't accomplished much in the BcS Era. Mizzou has won the SEC East twice in three years. They never did anything while members of the Big12. Oh, and they lost to B1G doormat Indiana last year.

SEC football is the BIG myth. Believe the hype if you want to - I don't.

Agree that it isn't stellar and UT's is the most difficult road to the CFB Playoffs (not that we'll compete for a spot in 2015). But, let's look at the blue-blood SEC teams' OOC slates before passing harsh judgement.

Alabama - Wisconsin, Middle Tennessee, Louisiana-Monroe, and Charleston-Southern 

LSU - McNeese St., Syracuse, Eastern Michigan, and Western Kentucky

Florida - New Mexico St., East Carolina, Florida Atlantic, and Florida State

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/2015-college-football-schedules.php

I could care less if the SEC has a weaker schedule than the Big 12. My only concern is UT in 2016 with one loss kept out of the four team championship because Texas's schedule is weak due to schools like Baylor playing schools like University of Incarnate Word.

I could care less if the SEC has a weaker schedule than the Big 12. My only concern is UT in 2016 with one loss kept out of the four team championship because Texas's schedule is weak due to schools like Baylor playing schools like University of Incarnate Word.

let us hope we have an 11-1 Texas to fret over.

I hope Big12 Commissioner, Bob Bowlsby, is encouraging teams to not schedule FCS moving forward. I don't think that Baylor has an easy time lining up P5 opponents, but they should keep it FBS at minimum. Hey, look who has the highest rated schedule in 2015. \m/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/395yqf/2015_p5_strength_of_schedule_visualized/

If the Big12 had perennially competitive programs outside of Texas and OU, a strong OOC schedule wouldn't be necessary to prove your worth. The conference schedule would be more than enough.

Per ESPN,

2014 saw teh BigXII as the top CFB conference in the land. . .

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/99397/power-rankings-big-12-not-sec-is-no-1

Admittedly, Iowa State & Kansas should be gimme wins. But who else?

Which SEC sked in particular? Arky, Ole Miss, Miss State, & aggie haven't accomplished much in the BcS Era. Mizzou has won the SEC East twice in three years. They never did anything while members of the Big12. Oh, and they lost to B1G doormat Indiana last year.

SEC football is the BIG myth. Believe the hype if you want to - I don't.

Who besides Texas and OU in the Big12 have been in a MNC game since 1980.  No one.  Who in the SEC has?  Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, and LSU.  It's not about who has the best teams at a given moment or year, it's about the track record of the conference as a whole over the long haul.  You can't tell me that the pollsters would see a matchup with a 3 in conference loss Texas Tech team late in the season would be perceived as harder than a 3 in conference loss Georgia team.  Won't happen.  

I hope Big12 Commissioner, Bob Bowlsby, is encouraging teams to not schedule FCS moving forward. I don't think that Baylor has an easy time lining up P5 opponents, but they should keep it FBS at minimum. Hey, look who has the highest rated schedule in 2015. \m/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/395yqf/2015_p5_strength_of_schedule_visualized/

I don't buy that at all. . . 

Baylor's schedule is pathetic by choice. . .

I don't buy that at all. . . 

Baylor's schedule is pathetic by choice. . .

I agree with that to an extent, but Baylor hasn't scheduled strong OOC games for years. Nobody in the P5 owes them a home & home and who'd wanna play them now? It's not really attractive to TV, either.

Who besides Texas and OU in the Big12 have been in a MNC game since 1980.  No one.  Who in the SEC has?  Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, and LSU.  It's not about who has the best teams at a given moment or year, it's about the track record of the conference as a whole over the long haul.  You can't tell me that the pollsters would see a matchup with a 3 in conference loss Texas Tech team late in the season would be perceived as harder than a 3 in conference loss Georgia team.  Won't happen.  

I'm not arguing that the six SEC teams you've referenced don't have better pedigrees than every Big12 team but UT and OU. I'm saying their OOC games are weak and their reputations are bolstered in the polls because of the SEC myth. SEC teams get more credit for winning league games than Big12 teams and play one fewer game.

Underrated Big12 teams of the past include 2008 Tech and 2011 OSU, among others. 

I'm not arguing that the six SEC teams you've referenced don't have better pedigrees than every Big12 team but UT and OU. I'm saying their OOC games are weak and their reputations are bolstered in the polls because of the SEC myth. SEC teams get more credit for winning league games than Big12 teams and play one fewer game.

Underrated Big12 teams of the past include 2008 Tech and 2011 OSU, among others.

11 okie state I'd agree. 08 tech got worked by a mediocre ole miss in the cotton bowl.

I know a lot of you guys worry about media coverage, bias, favoritism and the like. I guess my position is until we're not gripping over becoming bowl eligible ourselves, who cares?

If an 11-1 Texas gets left out, I'll be leading the charge screaming about the unfairness of it all. Until then let's try and be better than last year and have a winning record.

An 11-1 Texas team will be more likely to get in over an 11-1 Baylor team. As mentioned before, the SEC has as many name programs as the Big 12 has winning programs, having a pedigree or a well-respected coach gives you a much better reputation in the polls and on the selection committee. It is the same reason that a team like UCLA gets in the NCAA tourney in basketball this season and Virginia (Brian O'Connor) gets in with a 3 seed in baseball this year.