Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Texas offers Hawaii OG (edit: article & quotes added)

• Administrators

FILM:

michael%20eletise.jpg

Michael Eletise ..... Kaiser (Honolulu, HI)
4-star ..... OG ..... 6-4/313​

Selected for The Opening Finals and the UnderArmour All-America Game, Hawaiian Michael Eletise sports 39 offers, posts a 4.83/shuttle and a 725/squat.

The Opening Los Angeles (March 8)

[skip to 0:22]

• Administrators
gallery_2605_2_49007.jpg

submitted Today, 12:02 PM in Recruiting By Mike Roach

In the ongoing search for offensive linemen, Texas reached all the way to Hawaii and offered Michael Eletise from Honolulu’s Kaiser high school. The offensive guard shared insight on his recruitment and what it’s like to grow up in Hawaii.

Texas defensive backs coach Chris Vaughn contacted Eletise and extended an offer earlier this week. “I’m really thankful,” Eletise said when asked how he felt about the offer. He continued, “The University of Texas has huge tradition and amazing fans. I am learning a lot by the hour about the program.”

While he was pleased with the offer, it may have thrown a wrench in his plans. While the Longhorns were a bit late to the party in offering, Eletise says that the Longhorns are not out of the race, “I’m in the process of picking my top ten. I’m really considering all my options, including Texas. I will be talking to Coach Strong in the next day or two and that will help me get a better feel.”

Hawaii is not traditionally a hotbed for high school recruiting, but the state has produced some super stars in recent years including Marcus Mariota and Manti Te’o. Eletise could be next in line to carry on the tradition, but he told us he’s not focusing too much on such prospects, “I can’t speak for all of Hawaii, I’m just a kid. I love my Island and am incredibly blessed to be a part of this community. This is an amazing place that supports their own”.

Eletise grew up a fan of USC, but the Trojans have yet to extend a scholarship offer. The Kaiser star is moving forward with his recruitment by cutting down his list of schools and said he hopes to have it completed on Sunday.

If the Longhorns make the cut following Eletise’s contact with Charlie Strong, things should get interesting. As always, HornSports will bring you continuing coverage of the Longhorns’ pursuit of the big offensive lineman from Hawaii. 

Coleman... never having played OL I've learned some good things from your posts here on HornSports. Correct me if I'm wrong:

In Eletise's Hudl it appeared that he was quite comfortable allowing DLmen into his chest, knowing that he could simply out-muscle them and/or he was too broad for them to get around him.

In the videos I posted above from The Opening, they had a drill that required him to extend his arms at the initial contact point. Then, when he was in 1v1's, I saw him extending his arms more. Maybe I'm not a very good student of yours, so what's your take?

Coleman... never having played OL I've learned some good things from your posts here on HornSports. Correct me if I'm wrong:

In Eletise's Hudl it appeared that he was quite comfortable allowing DLmen into his chest, knowing that he could simply out-muscle them and/or he was too broad for them to get around him.

In the videos I posted above from The Opening, they had a drill that required him to extend his arms at the initial contact point. Then, when he was in 1v1's, I saw him extending his arms more. Maybe I'm not a very good student of yours, so what's your take?

I'm sure Coleman will be around to school me any minute because he's a genius when it comes to evaluating linemen, but it appears you're right on his film.  It looks like he took what he learned at the opening and applied it which is fantastic because it means he adjusts and applies teaching.  A large part of the opening is strictly teaching before 1 on 1's.  In his high school film he's going on raw strength and size.

First of all, thank y'all very much for the ego boost.

Secondly Michael Eletise is going to be a very good offensive lineman, but you're correct he does seem to have a tendency to absorb instead of explode. Offensive-line play is basically made up of five key areas.

Alignment

Assignment

Base

Hands

Feet

It's hard to evaluate the first two if you don't know the play prior to its execution so, just worrying about Base, Hands, and Feet he seems to have two out of the three down great. He constantly has a solid base in both his pass protection and run blocking and other than having to stay a little lower when coming off the ball his technique is pretty solid (Kudos to his H.S. O-Line coach). This is great to see in High School lineman because with a solid base the other two phases come more quickly. His footwork only makes him more impressive in both the run and pass game because of his fast and powerful steps. His pass sets are quick and accurate and his wide base keeps him in great position most of the time. His hands however, seem to lack some suddenness and violence. He's still, clearly, a strong cat because he's still finishing kids with that massive frame and lower body strength.

Bad news is that he won't be able to out muscle Division 1 football players. Good news is his college coaches can get him not only more explosive, but more skilled with his hands. "Violence into the block, drive through, and finish"

Obviously at 5'5" and 119, I am not an offensive lineman, but explosive power is generally achieved by driving through a particular muscle group and finishing strong.

That's even true for dancers and gymnasts (think leaps). How do you think those tiny little girls achieve such remarkable elevation and extension? Coordination and strength helps, as well.

Obviously at 5'5" and 119, I am not an offensive lineman, but explosive power is generally achieved by driving through a particular muscle group and finishing strong.

That's even true for dancers and gymnasts (think leaps). How do you think those tiny little girls achieve such remarkable elevation and extension? Coordination and strength helps, as well.

Absolutely! This 'explosion' is why you see football players throwing medicine balls, broad jumping, and performing Olympic lifts. The Explosion is best utilized with the largest muscle grouping in the body (Hips and Quads).

Yep. Directional force is amazing when one harnesses and uses it.

We first started working with plyometrics about 20 years ago to increase quick twitch & explosive force. At the time it seemed that the research was in the early stages, but that could have been simply from our pov.

Yep. Directional force is amazing when one harnesses and uses it.

We first started working with plyometrics about 20 years ago to increase quick twitch & explosive force. At the time it seemed that the research was in the early stages, but that could have been simply from our pov.

Oh yeah! There are some interesting new theories about training this explosion in football players. One of my old Strength Coach, Frank Wintritch, believes that you can either create Olympians or Football players. He uses NO Olympic lifts due to the time and technique it takes to perfect Hang Cleans, Power Cleans, Hang Snatch, or Clean and Jerks. He is now the Director of Football Performance at BYU and was listed as one of the Top 12 "under the radar" coaching moves.

Keep an eye out for Lord Frank! I imagine his practices will begin to gain momentum, and he has several pod-casts and web-casts further explaining his methods if you're interested in human movement the way I am.

I love this stuff. As a 15 year old, I just watched an athlete who moved the way I wanted to move, visualized it, and worked on it. Eventually, the effort paid off. Over the last 20 years, training methods have evolved into an art form.