Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tope Imade Commits to Texas (EDIT: article & quotes added)

I'd like to see Mr. Feeley's opinion about all of our OL recruits. IMO, Imade plays a little high but his overwhelming size makes up for poor technique against high school competition. I think he needs to play lower, especially on running plays, with better leverage.

A good "get" for Wickline because the young man definitely has the tools.

I'd like to see Mr. Feeley's opinion about all of our OL recruits. IMO, Imade plays a little high but his overwhelming size makes up for poor technique against high school competition. I think he needs to play lower, especially on running plays, with better leverage.

Technique right now isn't all that important IMO with Wickline. He's looking for a certain body and mold more than anything. 

We will have a spotlight up soon.  Technically he is raw.  Feeley and I watched him at the Opening together.  His size, strength, and athleticism are all plus which makes him a big ball of clay.

I just got done talking with Tope who is very excited about his decision.  He called the coaching staff and spoke with Charlie Strong and Brian Jean-Mary today.  While Wickline was the one to give him the green light on the offer, Jean-Mary is his area recruiter.  I asked what the reaction of the coaches was when he gave his commitment.  "They were very excited", Imade said.

When Imade initially received his offer he gave me some very generic answers and indicated that he had a long process ahead of him before he made a commitment.  Today when I asked him when the decision was made, he told me it was the moment he got the offer.  I ribbed him a bit for sandbagging me so hard last week.  He got a laugh out of that. 

Finally when I asked him what sealed the deal for Texas, Tope said it was the coaching staff along with the total package that Texas offers from education to athletics.  "They really care", he said.  "Even after they offered, they called me every day to check on me and my family". 

I'm planning to make Imade's spring game on Thursday and hope to have a more complete interview following that.

Here is a link to the spotlight on Tope.  This kid told me a while ago Texas would be an absolute dream for him so I'm very happy for the big guy.  Just confirmed with his coach that I would be able to attend the Spring Game this Thursday so let's hope the rain takes a break. 

http://www.hornsports.com/articles/recruiting1395317069/ol-recruit-picks-texas-r4600

OL picks Texas

submitted 8 hours ago in Recruiting By Mike Roach

In a spring that has seen offensive linemen commit left and right, the Longhorns got on the board with the commitment of Arlington (TX) Bowie offensive Lineman Tope Imade.  Imade was offered last week after Joe Wickline observed him in spring practice.  Imade is the fifth commitment of the 2016 class, and the first among offensive linemen. 

Imade is a prospect who flew under the radar coming into this spring, but really started to pick up steam as the evaluation period went on.  After competing at The Opening regional camp in Arlington, offers pour in for Imade.  He chose the Longhorns over offers from Arizona State, Michigan, Texas Tech, Washington, and SMU among others.  Imade has the versatility and size to play either tackle or guard, and his work ethic and frame will make him an interesting ball of clay for Joe Wickline to mold. 

Film Analysis:

Imade has a big frame at 6’5 324 lbs.  His technique is a bit rough, but he more than makes up for that with raw strength.  Imade is a high-effort player that finishes blocks all the way to the whistle.  Although he is stronger in the run game than pass protection, Imade will benefit from technique refinement at the collegiate level.  He moves very well in space and looks good working to the second level of the defense.  He is prone to geting overextended in pass blocking, but that is a trait that can be coached.  Imade shows good awareness on the field, and if he locks up on a defender they are usually going for a ride.  Imade also shows the flexibility necessary to transition to the tackle position and exhibits plus athleticism. 

Final Verdict:

As we’ve seen from Joe Wickline in the past, he prefers the raw prospects with big frames who have not reached their developmental ceiling.  Imade’s combination of strength, athleticism, and work ethic make him a prized recruit who is just scratching the surface on what he can truly do.  If he reaches his ceiling, Imade could be an all-conference performer with a chance to be drafted in the early rounds.

• 8 months later...