Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2016 Recruiting - Week #15-23

rahssan%20thornton.jpg

Rahssan Thornton ..... Shoemaker (Killeen, TX)

3-star ..... WDE ..... 6-3.5/225​

Please don't copy/paste other site's content - especially premium articles. Feel free to link it and provide the attribution like you did.

A. "Please don't copy/paste other site's content" - Does that go for everyone?

B. The third reference was posted on OB's free discussion board.

C. I would have appreciated it if you would've contacted me privately first.

........And Rahssan Thornton commits to LSU

Just a thought, but I think we take more wide receivers and safeties than I initially thought. It will not surprise me if we end up taking 4 WRs and 3 safeties.

I don't think Strong likes the WRs we have on campus outside of the FR class coming in. There's also a pretty good talent pool this year at WR. We take at least 3 at WR if not 4 IMO. 

Higdon mentioned awhile back that we could very well take 3 safeties, I tend to agree. The talent pool is pretty deep like WR. I don't think Strong is going to turn down Acy, Anderson, Jones, Wallace, or Brown if it means taking 3 safeties. We may only take 1 CB and load up at safety.

This kid looks tall. Is he stateside playing football, or down under playing Australian rules football?

I think he is now 23.  A "former Australian Rules Football player" who trained at Prokick Australia in Melbourne.

Ohio State was looking at him in 2013, but they signed another punter, not sure what happened since.

His Prokick mates claim -- 

"He has an explosive leg"

"He continually (kicks) 65 yards, ball after ball after ball"

"He can punt 80 yards"

"He has a hang time of 5.2 to 5.4 seconds"

Plus, he should be easier to get into school as he has already has met his foreign language requirement.

I think he is now 23. A "former Australian Rules Football player" who trained at Prokick Australia in Melbourne.

Ohio State was looking at him in 2013, but they signed another punter, not sure what happened since.

His Prokick mates claim --

"He has an explosive leg"

"He continually (kicks) 65 yards, ball after ball after ball"

"He can punt 80 yards"

"He has a hang time of 5.2 to 5.4 seconds"

Plus, he should be easier to get into school as he has already has met his foreign language requirement.

At 23 is he a younger Nate Boyer? Special forces bad ass down under? Or maybe just a dude who likes to kick. Wonder how long he is holding out for an opportunity if Ohio st was looking 2 yrs ago?

PS: is his foreign language prerequisite English with an Australian accent?

Ok boys, my son spoke with Denzel Okafor in a face-to-face yesterday. Okafor says his top three are TCU, Texas and OU.

My son says he thinks Texas leads. I asked him why he thought that. "its all he wanted to talk about."

Okafor was a starter on the varsity as a sophomore. My son, a senior OL at the time, took Okafor under his wing. So they are close.

I asked him what he felt was Okafor's best attributes and he quickly said "its those arms. Those long arms. You can't get near his body because of those arms. Very strong. Very agile."

I thought he signed with Wisconsin?

oops my bad, for some reason I typed Nebraska. 

Reports this morning are that he won't enroll in the summer but during the fall. That's been trending JUCO for a good bit now, I would be surprised if he ever plays a down at Wisconsin. 

Texas recruiting update: Longhorns looking to add to sparse 2016 list

shsh.jpg

The first thing you notice about the list of oral football commitments to Texas for 2016 is that it ends rather abruptly. Only six players have given head coach Charlie Strong that confirmation “Hook ‘em†he’s looking for, compared to 19 at Texas Tech. Defending Big 12 champions Baylor and TCU each have at least 11.

And recruiting services are mixed when it comes to evaluating what the Longhorns have so far. Scout.com likes the quality if not the quantity, placing the Longhorns at No. 7 in the nation, three spots higher than the Aggies and atop the Big 12. Rivals.com lists Texas’ class at No. 12, two above Oklahoma, but two below Texas A&M.

What the class does have so far is receivers, but a lack of running backs and defensive backs is just as noticeable for a program desperate to get back to Top 25 status, and not just on reputation alone.

Here’s a look at the Longhorns’ recruiting class for 2016 so far:

Biggest need: Every time someone writes that Texas has yet to decide on a starting quarterback, that has to make Shane Buechele smile. The son of former Rangers infielder Steve Buechele ranks fifth on Rivals.com’s list of 2016 dual-threat quarterbacks and says he is willing to recruit other offensive talent.

Best commit: Collin Johnson’s size is nice for a wide receiver, and it doesn’t hurt in the fickle world of recruiting that his dad Johnnie and brother Kirk have Texas ties. He’s considered one of the top national play-makers in the 2016 class in the nation by Scout.com at a position that appears to lack one at Texas thus far.

Best under-the-radar commit: At his enormous size, it’s hard to believe anyone wouldn’t see Tope Imade on a radar, but he’s ranked lower in services like Scout and Rivals.com than many of the linemen Texas has its eyes on. Still, he already possesses college measurables and has a year to gain experience before battling the better Big 12 lines.

What the class still needs: In a league in which a good pass rush is key, Texas could use some more young defensive ends. Of the eight ends on the roster, Derick Roberson of San Antonio Brennan is the only redshirt freshman. There are plenty of offers on the table, but no one has put the Horns hat on yet.

Name | Pos. | School | Ht. | Wt. | Rating

DeMarco Boyd | LB | Gilmer | 6-0 | 223 | 3 stars

Shane Buechele | QB | Arlington Lamar | 6-2 | 185 | 4 stars

Reggie Hemphill-Mapps | WR | Manvel | 6-1 | 174 | 4 stars

Tope Imade | OL | Arlington Bowie | 6-5 | 324 | 3 stars

Collin Johnson | WR | San Jose (Calif.) Valley Christian | 6-5 | 205 | 4 stars

Gerald Wilbon | DT | Destrehan (La.) | 6-3 | 305 | 3 stars

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/06/texas-recruiting-update-longhorns-looking-to-add-to-sparse-2016-list.html/