Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
echeese

Shevis Irons update 14 May

Heard from our boy Dennis this morning.

He had surgery, 2 hours, trussed up like he was being crucified (his words) . . .they could not get everything done they wanted so he sounded upbeat but mildly disappointed.

He's putting up a great fight but make no mistake, this one is a battle.

Say a prayer

Light a candle

Make an offering

Kill a goat

What ever sends good karma his way. . . .

Thanks ya'll. Thanks for the support and Prayers.

Licking my wounds a bit today. A bit sore and tired.

One of the realy cool things about yesterday is that I had the same post-op nurse as when I was in MD Anderson a month ago. She had rotated to day surgery and their she stood, another of my Angels in this Journey God has put us on.

So here's the cool part. Her husband is a very important UT Grad. He invented, is responsible for the overseeing the construction of and oversees the current Space Suit used at NASA. In the world of Space Geeks, he's a Rock Star. I understand he rarely misses a home game and I hope to meet up with them At DR thus year.

I had another interesting nurse the last time I was at MD Anderson. She told me her oldest kids father played football at A&M. She said she never got a Dime or any support for that matter from the kids Dad but then again the guy had fathered over a dozen other kids by different women. Wut? This sounds familiar. Wasn't there a running back back in the early eighteen that did this? My memory is not the best theses days.

Just a funny contrast I had presented to me while I was recovering.

Heard from our boy Dennis this morning.

He had surgery, 2 hours, trussed up like he was being crucified (his words) . . .they could not get everything done they wanted so he sounded upbeat but mildly disappointed.

He's putting up a great fight but make no mistake, this one is a battle.

Say a prayer

Light a candle

Make an offering

Kill a goat

What ever sends good karma his way. . . .

good ideas, but  if all of Dennis's friends kill a goat, we won't have any goats left

I have been a reader/lurker on this site for months now. I was moved to send my prayers. I have enjoyed the insightful posts and lack of BS from many on here. Dennis I enjoy your words and admire the great attitude you show in your fight. God Bless

Please post more.

An Update......

Today I had the second Big CT Scan. Tomorrow I meet with the Clinical Trial team and find out just where I stand. 

Everyone is optimistic.

If the results are where we anticipate they may well be then the head of the Clinical trial team wants to have me participate in a follow-up piece that came out of Ken Burns Documentary "The Emperor of all Maladies." It would require me to go to Boston to be interviewed. However, the University of Texas is actually in a position to Leverage the incredible success they are having by using my situation as well as another Trial participants success. Naturally, I am more than willing to help UT and MD Anderson.

But I have to get past tomorrow with a good report. Even then it may be premature. I'll find out and share when I know.

You wouldn't believe who all has reached out to me and just who all is involved in this. I am overwhelmed. MD Anderson is on the cutting edge of some wonderful break troughs. The University of Texas is in a position to really establish itself as a world wide leader in the new Cancer technologies. I may be one of just a few that will be the examples they put forth.

Again, thanks for all the Prayers. As it turns out they are being answered in ways that no one, not a single one of us could have imagined. I am truly blessed.

And Hook Em! 

Thanks for the new info. I was one of the the first ten people in the world to have my retina welded with a laser back in the '70s at the Fort Sam Houston Ophthalmology Clinic. It worked out great for me. Here's hoping the same for you.

Loooooooooooooooooooooong day. Not even home yet. Running errands w/my daughter .

Appt went well. Much better than even expected. 24% reduction on average of all tumors. Only one that has not reduced is main Thyroid tumor but there is significant evidence of necrosis from within. Which is much more important. Than just reduction in size. It means it's dying from within. Sr Subbiah, the dude just couldn't stop smiling. He said he expects the tumor to eventually die. Yes, he said that!

However, that doesn't mean something else doesn't kreep into the picture or the Cancer Mutation morph into something the drug is ineffective on. But for now we're headed in the right direction.

He threw out some more numbers, mainly for my daughter, Jennifer since she hasn't met him or been on any of my Appts.

There are less than 200 Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer diagnosis each year in the USA. Of those only about 30 have the BRAFF Mutation. Only two or three are actually tested and discovered to have the Mutation in order to enter "proper" treatment. In other words, the Clinical Trial Drug that I'm on.

Outstanding!

OK, I just sat down at my laptop to type up a HS update now that I got home.

That is wonderful news.  I am so happy for you.  May the Good Lord keep smiling on you each and every day.

A young relative of mine, years ago, was dx'd with cancer.  It was a very slow-growth type, and there was a new treatment.  One dose of chemo, with very good survival rates.  The family was well-educated in medicine, and did their research.  They got an appointment at MD Anderson and the lead oncologist in that type of cancer.  They had never used that treatment, but were aware of and interested in it.  They got approval and did it.  Needless to say the results were excellent.

I simply cannot imagine going to any other place for cancer treatment, with perhaps the exception of breast cancer.  The last I heard, the Komen Cancer Center hired MD Anderson's lead oncologist in breast cancer a few years ago, and that was now supposed to be The place to go.  It's hard to believe that MD Anderson is playing second fiddle to anyone, though, in cancer research or treatment.  They are probably back on top again.

Did the Medical Center suffer any damage from the flooding?

I am thrilled with the reduction in the tumors.  Could you please let us know if your food is tasting good again?  That is important, you know.  This is a day for celebration, either way.  

I know your attitude played a huge part in the positive results.  Keep up the good thoughts, and we will keep up the prayers.

Hook 'em!