Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

'Mad Men' Star Jon Hamm accused of Violent Frat Hazing at UT in 1990

Looks like he really was a mad man.

‘Mad Men’ star Jon Hamm accused of violent frat hazing while student at University of Texas in 1990, victim's pants set on fire

Before he was a “Mad Man,†John Hamm was a very bad boy.

The Emmy-nominated star, in a cruel fraternity hazing ritual, shoved a pledge’s face in the dirt, whacked the man with a paddle — and then lit the student’s jeans on fire, recently uncovered documents show.

“He rears back and hits me left-handed, and he hit me right over my right kidney, I mean square over it,†Sigma Nu hopeful Mark Allen Sanders said in a lawsuit. “Good solid hit and that, that stood me right up.â€

The brutal hazing occurred in 1990 when the actor belonged to the fraternity’s chapter at the University of Texas, records from the school and court showed.

Hamm participated in the pledge abuse “till the very end,†according to the Sanders lawsuit.

The actor became “mad, I mean really mad†after Sanders flubbed his response after a demand to recite certain phrases about different brothers, the lawsuit charged.

Hamm’s list reportedly included the phrases “MC Hammer,†“UT Football Punching Bag†and “Young Bobby.â€

The incident produced criminal charges against Hamm and four other fraternity members — and forced the disbanding of the Texas chapter.

A spokesman for Hamm did not return a request for comment from The Associated Press, nor did a representative for “Mad Men†creator Matthew Weiner.

It was the latest bad news for Hamm, who announced last month that he spent 30 days in a rehab for alcohol addiction. The paperwork in the hazing case was dug up by Star magazine.

The actor plays boozy advertising executive Don Draper on the acclaimed “Mad Men.†There are just six episodes of the show remaining in its final season

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/jon-hamm-accused-violent-fraternity-hazing-1991-article-1.2180124