Requested Smoking BBQ Thread***PART 1***

Dinner tonight. Smoked my first pork shoulder.  Also made grilled corn salad.

IMG_20140806_171652_zps79a709f1.jpg
20140806_171244_zps44576817.jpg
IMG_20140806_183849_zps7c5a92bc.jpg
I was JUST about to say we need some pics!  Excellent job!  Looks delicious!

Reactions: joeywa and monarch
Looks amazing PH! Nice smoke ring! What is the difference between using rib racks vs laying ribs flat directly on smoker?

Looks amazing PH! Nice smoke ring! What is the difference between using rib racks vs laying ribs flat directly on smoker?
Thanks and they were great.  The racks let you cook more ribs although I wasn't doing that many this time.  They also let you spray both sides with the apple juice.  I don't always use them but for some reason I did this time.  i do use them if there's a brisket too cuz I need the room.

Yeah except it really don't, but what it's really good at is lowering your temps though
When I didn't have a pan filled with water, my brisket came out rock hard.  Maybe different style smokers then. So many variables to play with,

Boys - she is smart, plays golf, fishes, loves football and sports -  and, obviously, can cook.  She is also cute and I'm not sure if she has a boat - but what does it matter?

And she is single. 
Thanks Doc, but not single.   ;)   Back with the BF.   :wub:

When I didn't have a pan filled with water, my brisket came out rock hard.  Maybe different style smokers then. So many variables to play with,
Now hear this......You don't need a pan of water. You must have trimmed off too much of the fat, temps too high or erratic and too long. That's the only way it will come out that way. The natural moisture in the wood ( If you are using a stick burner) as it burns and smokes promotes plenty of moisture. If you're using an easy bake, well you need to foil it 2/3rds of the way through.

Now hear this......You don't need a pan of water. You must have trimmed off too much of the fat, temps too high or erratic and too long. That's the only way it will come out that way. The natural moisture in the wood ( If you are using a stick burner) as it burns and smokes promotes plenty of moisture. If you're using an easy bake, well you need to foil it 2/3rds of the way through.
LOL....my temp was high......I'll try my next bbq without water!  Thanks! One less step is always a plus!  :)

Reactions: Dude65
In my opinion the SINGLE MOST important thing to keeping your meat wonderfully moist is to wrap it securely after the cook, preventing moisture from escaping, and letting it rest.  For a brisket let it rest for at least an hour.

In fact this holds true for pretty much anything taken off of a grill or smoker.  You can almost salvage an overcooked steak by wrapping it or covering it securely and allowing it to rest for about 5 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Baron and joeywa