Requested BBQ Smoking Thread ****Part 3****

If anyone would share a really good steak marinade, would be appreciated.

Best beer to drink while you are thinking about smoking ribs and brisket.

Best beer to drink while you are actually smoking ribs and brisket.

Best beer to drink while you are eating ribs and brisket.

That's all I've got for now.
Since I have a Kegerator in the Man Pit, I'm partial to the following:

A) Cold

B) Free

C) Easily accessible

D) Shiner Bock

E) Whatever I have in the keg

Reactions: Bear19
Here are the issues I ran up against on my first try on the smoker (which Joeywa helped me for hours on end with):

- How to start the fire in the pit and keep it hot.

- How to know when it's time to put the meat on.

- What to do if you're having trouble maintaining temp. (This was my biggest and most frustrating issue)

- What side to put the meat on the grate (fat side up/down)

- How best to season/brine the meat.

- How often to put more wood/charcoal in the pit.

- How do I know if it's ready.

- How to clean/maintain the smoker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I have a Kegerator in the Man Pit, I'm partial to the following:

A) Cold

B) Free

C) Easily accessible

D) Shiner Bock

E) Whatever I have in the keg
A free, cold Shiner Bock at your fingertips that came from your keg sounds like a damn good choice.

Reactions: joeywa
If anyone would share a really good steak marinade, would be appreciated.
For really god, well-marbled steaks, I find that just salt & pepper are more than sufficient. For a lesser cut, I've used orange juice, (ie on skirt steak for fajitas,) as well as Sweetwater Spice brines.

Reactions: SFlonghorngirl
I second Sweetwater Spice brine for fajitas.  Have not found anything better.

Steaks, just salt, pepper, and butter.  Buy Choice/Prime grades of beef if possible.  Makes a huge difference.  

Reactions: joeywa
I second Sweetwater Spice brine for fajitas.  Have not found anything better.

Steaks, just salt, pepper, and butter.  Buy Choice/Prime grades of beef if possible.  Makes a huge difference.  
For steaks, esp higher end cuts, (filets, ribeyes, NY,) SFLG is exactly right on Choice/Prime. 

Joeywa, when do you expect beef prices to drop, if at all?  Looking to practice on some Prime Rib before the holidays. 

Joeywa, when do you expect beef prices to drop, if at all?  Looking to practice on some Prime Rib before the holidays. 
Not for quite some time.  I saw a projection from one of my analysts on Thusday.  These were the prices.

Choice steers, $/cwt & vs year-ago:

2012: $122.86, +7.09%

2013: $125.89, +2.47%

2014: $152.50, +21.14% (Projected 2014 avg)

2015: $155.50, +1.97% (Projected 2015 avg)

Keep in mind, herd sizes are down, exports are up.  I'm not a commodity analyst, but I think you're looking at 2016 when there's going to be some relief.  The '14 & '15 numbers are merely projected numbers, and the analysts were all way off for 2014 last year, in many categories. 

Not for quite some time.  I saw a projection from one of my analysts on Thusday.  These were the prices.

Choice steers, $/cwt & vs year-ago:

2012: $122.86, +7.09%

2013: $125.89, +2.47%

2014: $152.50, +21.14% (Projected 2014 avg)

2015: $155.50, +1.97% (Projected 2015 avg)

Keep in mind, herd sizes are down, exports are up.  I'm not a commodity analyst, but I think you're looking at 2016 when there's going to be some relief.  The '14 & '15 numbers are merely projected numbers, and the analysts were all way off for 2014 last year, in many categories. 
Geez, big increase in prices.  Due to drought across America?

Supply down, demand/exports up, herd sizes down.

Just so y'all know, I'm smokin' three fatties right now. No, not of the weed variety. I've got Jimmy Dean sausage logs rubbed with Salt Lick Garlic rub on the pit right now.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d30/joeywa/2E024471-37F1-4914-938F-F97C4A1774E4_zpsvucfmqlo.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d30/joeywa/8B91BAF7-969D-4048-9D2E-C605C6F23D0C_zpstta7pzdv.jpg
I just attempted my first Fatty (bacon wrapped, blue and gold) and its was unbelievable greasy. Folks at my work loved it but I wont be making another. Maybe I did something wrong idk. Got my brisket on right now for tomorrow evening, trying some or your tricks! Gonna make for great football watching

Bout to put a brisket on and beff short ribs for the game and fight. Joey, do beef ribs cook quicker due to the bone? It's my 1st go at em

I just attempted my first Fatty (bacon wrapped, blue and gold) and its was unbelievable greasy. Folks at my work loved it but I wont be making another. Maybe I did something wrong idk. Got my brisket on right now for tomorrow evening, trying some or your tricks! Gonna make for great football watching
Why did you wrap it with bacon?

i just dry run a breakfast sausage roll then smoke it. 

Why did you wrap it with bacon?

i just dry run a breakfast sausage roll then smoke it. 
It's something the guys at work have had before so I looked up the recipe under "smoking a fatty" it's a bacon weave around the whole thing. Looked super tasty but I just wasn't a fan....

also so I tried to smoke drum sticks this weekend to go with my brisket in my electric master built smoker and it was a fail, they never reached the correct internal temp. Even cookin for 6 Stinken hrs on 250... used a drum leg holder my wife bought me the sits in a trey and they hang over the trey. Could this be why? Because this was first time they have never finished and first time I have used that trey? Any ideas