February Landscapes – Oh Deer!

Sirhornsalot

**The Official Horn Sports Landscaper and Landscap
Nov 6, 2013
deer-resistant-plants-1653052972.jpg

Oh Deer!
Both urban and rural landscapes face challenges from the local wildlife

With the ever-increasing expansion of America’s suburban development reducing the natural habitat of our wildlife, we are seeing an increase of this wildlife venturing into our neighborhoods. They are here for the food. These plants should be a feast for the eyes, not for the deer.

This is especially true during heatwave/drought conditions where natural food sources dwindle down to nothing. In desperation, they will venture to places they normally would not in order to feed.

Our rural homeowners are all too familiar with this issue. Our suburban folks are learning how to live with it.

nVbHi2VvFWTBZRfNMnH2hW.jpg

Several years ago we installed a landscape in Austin which included a ground cover named “Mountain Pea.” The customer’s neice had just graduated with a degree in landscape design and this was a plant she included in a design she did for them. We followed and created the designed landscape.

As you may know, there are a large number of deer who live in the neighborhoods of Austin. The urban environment offers them some protection from predators and ample food sources. Residents certainly aren’t a threat to them. They get treated like pets.

Once we installed the plants and planted the 120 Mountain Pea the design called for, we headed out. Before I could get to the hotel room, I received a call from the customer, saying that the deer moved in right after we left and ate every one of those Mountain Pea. All of them. Chewed them to the ground.

We then found a way to replace the Mountain Pea with a ground cover that tolerates shade and that the deer won’t eat. That led us to “Horse Herb,” a plant that deer leave alone. You cannot get rid of the deer, so go with plants they do not like to deter them from your landscape.

During the late 1990s, a Dallas suburb conducted a coyote extraction program. This lasted a couple of years. They would trap or capture the coyotes and relocate them to rural settings. This was done after complaints from residents who feared for their kids and pets’ lives.

Wild-rabbit-in-the-flowers.jpg

The program worked as it was designed to, a huge success. However, the absence of ethis predator allowed the rabbit population to explode. Folks were having their landscapes grazed on by the rabbits. They love our seasonal flowers and even some perennial flowers. When those items are gone, they move on to shrubs like dwarf Nandinas. Most homeowners aren’t aware of what is happening. In most cases, they just see their stuff disappearing.

But there are ways to deal with this unique problem.

One of the ways we can deter deer and rabbits from our landscapes is by planting plants and flowers that they do not like and want to avoid. Also, highly fragrant plants will discourage them from coming around.

The following list is of plants we grow in Texas that deer do not like or want to be around.

1. Society Garlic

2. Marigolds

3. Verbena

4. Floss Flower

5. Snapdragons

6. Butterfly Bush

7. Cinquefoil

8. Spirea

9. Russian Sage

10. Bee Balm

11. Peony

12. Dusty Miller

13. Lambs Ear

Include any of many of these plant varieties in your landscape and your deer and rabbit damage will likely be greatly reduced.

Products you can use

There are products on the market that can be used to help keep the varmints away as well. These include Coyote Urine, Fox Urine which are sold in a granular form and often come in salt shaker-like container/dispensers.

Fox and Coyote Urine deters them because the rabbits and deer smell “predator.” So naturally, they will try to avoid these areas.

These products have to be reapplied after any rain event and also after spinkler cycles. Humans cannot smell these products, but the wildlife will.

There are other products, such as Rabbit Scram! and also Deer Scram! which are also fairly effective to use. Both products will last longer and can be reapplied less frequently.

The To Do list for February

1. Apply pre-emergent
to your lawns and beds this month. Do not apply this product to a bed which have flowers that reproduce by seed.

2. Check over all lawn care equipment, replacing spark plugs, oil and filters. Sharpen blades, You will be using this equipment in March.

3. Trim your Crape Myrtles this month. Trim them as you would any other tree. Do not hack them short.

4. Trim back all ornamental grasses. You will want to trim these way back, close to the base. You can cut straight across or give it a rounded effect.

5. For you gardeners, make sure you get your potatoes planted by Valentines Day!

Rat bastard deer. I'll have to high proof my garden, hell maybe my whole yard. My crepe myrtles don't have any leaves from 4' down. They ate my chile pequin down to the ground. They even destroyed my spearmint. I'm about to the point that I'm gonna earhole some with my .22 and drag them off into the pasture.

Rat bastard deer. I'll have to high proof my garden, hell maybe my whole yard. My crepe myrtles don't have any leaves from 4' down. They ate my chile pequin down to the ground. They even destroyed my spearmint. I'm about to the point that I'm gonna earhole some with my .22 and drag them off into the pasture.
don't waste that backstrap! lol

Plant Society Garlic around the stuff you don't want them to eat. Surprised they went after your spearmint. They don't like loud smelling stuff as a norm.

Reactions: Baron
Can I get perennial marigolds?
I don't know where you're at, but yes, they do exist though they won't look like the Marigolds we commonly see.

Mexican Marigold (grows to 6 ft high) is perennial as is Mountain Marigold (3 ft high). One other perennial, Mexican Mint Marigold, will grow to 3 ft and is often used in cooking and for teas.

Mexican+Mint+Marigold+2-1198484187.jpg
Mexican Mint Marigolds

Tagetes+lemonii-3262031863.JPG

Mexican Marigolds

Signet, French, and African Marigolds are annuals and are the ones we commonly see. These varieties can act as perennials though it is new growth each year from seeds dropped by the previous year's flowers.

The perennial types I showed you are good in zones 8 through 10.

I don't know where you're at, but yes, they do exist though they won't look like the Marigolds we commonly see.

Mexican Marigold (grows to 6 ft high) is perennial as is Mountain Marigold (3 ft high). One other perennial, Mexican Mint Marigold, will grow to 3 ft and is often used in cooking and for teas.

View attachment 7144
Mexican Mint Marigolds

View attachment 7145

Mexican Marigolds

Signet, French, and African Marigolds are annuals and are the ones we commonly see. These varieties can act as perennials though it is new growth each year from seeds dropped by the previous year's flowers.

The perennial types I showed you are good in zones 8 through 10.
I'm in Fredericksburg. Are the Mexican marigolds deer proof and repellent?

Reactions: Sirhornsalot
For those of us who didn't get the pre emergent down is it too late if clover and dandelions are already popping up in the yard?

When should we put weed and feed down?

Reactions: Sirhornsalot
For those of us who didn't get the pre emergent down is it too late if clover and dandelions are already popping up in the yard?

When should we put weed and feed down?
It's late, but it's better to have than not have. I would go ahead and put the pre emergent down.

If you have Bermuda turf, you can use a product called "Speed Zone" that will kill those dandelions during cool weather. If you have St Aug or Zoysia, don't use it. You can get Speed Zone on amazon. Site One Landscapes sells a product called "Red Zone" that is exactly like Speed Zone. Mix with water in a sprayer and put a dab of dish soap in it and then spray.

April 1 is your date on fertilizer. Anytime after that in April.

SHA
Go ahead and post a pic of the deer in my backyard.

Bear lives in a neighborhood north of Houston. He sent me this photo in response to the deer in the garden column, above.

He says these deer are frequently about and have no real fear of humans. He said if you work it right, you can have them eating out of your hands.

IMG_5525.jpeg

Reactions: Bear19 and Baron