139 replies to this topic

#1 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:02 AM

The good news, it sounds like Eric Davis and Kerwin Roach are 100 percent committed to Texas. That's huge as both are great fits in Shaka's system. 

Texas needs to go find a forward, maybe Tevin Mack. I wouldn't be surprised if Shaka goes after a transfer. 

IMO Lammert, Ridley and Ibeh aren't great fits in Shaka's system. Ibeh should be fine but not sure about Lammert and Ridley. It will be interesting how Shaka adapts his "havoc" system until he gets the players he likes. It won't surprise me if one of these guys transfers to another school (mutual parting). Cleare is actually the best fit IMO.

#2 JimR

JimR

V.I.P.

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationAustin
  • Longhorns

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:55 AM

The good news, it sounds like Eric Davis and Kerwin Roach are 100 percent committed to Texas. That's huge as both are great fits in Shaka's system. 

Texas needs to go find a forward, maybe Tevin Mack. I wouldn't be surprised if Shaka goes after a transfer. 

IMO Lammert, Ridley and Ibeh aren't great fits in Shaka's system. Ibeh should be fine but not sure about Lammert and Ridley. It will be interesting how Shaka adapts his "havoc" system until he gets the players he likes. It won't surprise me if one of these guys transfers to another school (mutual parting). Cleare is actually the best fit IMO.

good coaches adapt to the roster and do not try to shoehorn players into a system. I will be surprised bordering on shocked if he runs someone off. these guys are very close, and that would be a major mistake, imo.

• bcherry168 and Bear19 like this

#3 Chris Flanagan

Chris Flanagan

Veteran

• Premium Members
  • 952 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:11 AM

Shaka is going to have to live with the cupboard this year but he gets at least 5 scholarships for 2016 so Shaka will get his guys that year. And Shaka is already hitting the ground running knowing that he has a crucial class for success. 

• TheContractor, KatyHorn, JimsTexas and 1 other like this
Chris Flanagan
Contributing Author

Follow Chris Flanagan On Twitter!
Email: hookemheadlines@gmail.com

Posted Image

#4 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

Per Eric Bossi New Texas head coach Shaka Smart has offered 2016 Javin Montgomery-Delaurier per his summer coach Ty White of @teamloadedaau

Shaka also offered 2016 wing Bruce Brown of Vermont County last night.

#5 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

2016 SF Braxton Blackwell was just offered. 

#37 player in the country per 247.

• dillohorn likes this

#6 gmcc

gmcc

On the 40 Acres

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

I am glad to see this thread about BB.  I have always felt there was more interest in Longhorn BB than shown in the past 3-4 years.  I think Mr. Smart will bring more enthusiasm with his up tempo style.  I remember how much I liked Tom Pender's style, although I'm not sure he was certain what defense was- it was still fun.

• bcherry168, Bear19, primal defense and 1 other like this

#7 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

@GoodmanESPN: Cleveland State transfer Trey Lewis visited Louisville and also heavy interest from UConn, Ohio State, Xavier & Texas.

Averaged 16 points a game this year.

#8 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:41 PM

Offered 5-star PG Matt Coleman from VA.

'17 class. 

#9 Epictetus

Epictetus

Veteran

• Members
  • 969 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

Nat'l signing, initial date: Apr 15,... Final date for Div I is May 20. (nationalletter.org)

Have wondered if due to the coaching change and it being Shaka Smart, if any key players from this state might flip.
Happens a lot in football but don't keep track of bb signing.

Alignment

#10 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

Nat'l signing, initial date: Apr 15,... Final date for Div I is May 20. (nationalletter.org)

Have wondered if due to the coaching change and it being Shaka Smart, if any key players from this state might flip.
Happens a lot in football but don't keep track of bb signing.

The problem is a lot of players have already signed their LOIs with teams. Basketball has an early signing period. 

I do think we might flip one of the VCU signees if the school lets them out of their LOI, which they should based on the coaching change. I also think we might sign a transfer (the transfer market is pretty deep). 

#11 MikeV73

MikeV73

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:38 PM

The problem is a lot of players have already signed their LOIs with teams. Basketball has an early signing period.

I do think we might flip one of the VCU signees if the school lets them out of their LOI, which they should based on the coaching change. I also think we might sign a transfer (the transfer market is pretty deep).

What is our scholarship count? Do we have spots available with our two early signees, and losing Turner and Holmes as the only departures thus far?

#12 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:51 AM

2016 class will be huge for Shaka. Ridley, Ibeh, Lammert, Felix and Holland gone. Will be able to take a big class.

#13 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:02 PM

Roach

#14 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:05 PM

Jeff Goodman: Just talked to Nigel Williams-Goss. Said UNLV definitely in the mix, and he plans to visit Texas. Michigan State and G'Town also involved.

Would love this pickup.

#15 Juan

Juan

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 19,757 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

VCU released Tevin Mack from his NLI,

• TheContractor, utisdabomb12 and tejasrulz like this

#16 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

2016 PG Kameron McGusty was offered tonight. Only a 3 star, but he's about to blow up. Kind of like Roach last year. 

• java likes this

#17 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:51 AM

http://www.gogamecoc...m-vcu.html?rh=1

This article makes it seem like Mack to Texas is probable if not already done. 

#18 utisdabomb12

utisdabomb12

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

If Texas were to land Mack, Shaka would have 3 top 50 recruits in this class (per ESPN). I think Scout and 247 have Mack rated a little bit lower. 

Regardless, 3 top 50 players would be a damn good start for a new coach in building a roster. All 3 of those guys are 3 or 4 years players too IMO. 

• bill_ut75 and tejasrulz like this

#19 Matt Cotcher

Matt Cotcher

Under Contract

• Administrators
  • 4,525 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Longhorns

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:23 PM

ICYMI -  (per UT)

BROOKLYN, N.Y. — University of Texas Men’s Basketball signee Eric Davis (Saginaw, Mich.) will compete for the East Team in the 2015 Jordan Brand Classic on Friday, April 17 at Barclays Center. Tip time is set for 7 p.m. CT (8 p.m. ET), and the game will be televised nationally by ESPN2.

Managing Editor

@mlcotcher

mlc.hornsports@gmail.com

hssig.jpg

#20 primal defense

primal defense

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:00 AM

Q&A: New Texas coach Shaka Smart

Shaka Smart is starts a new chapter in his coaching career. After six seasons at VCU, highlighted by a 2011 Final Four trip, Smart is taking over at Texas. CBSSports.com's Jon Rothstein talked with Smart about the choice, the Longhorns' roster and what lies ahead in the Big 12.

Jon Rothstein, CBSSports.com: How weird was it to go on the road recruiting this past weekend and not wear any apparel or clothing that was associated with VCU?

Shaka Smart: It's an adjustment. You're used to wearing a certain set of colors, but it's a good adjustment. We're excited. We're hitting the ground running with that stuff and obviously with the recruiting period being upon us it's all going fast. But that's what happens this time of year.

CBSSports.com: You turned down so many high-profile opportunities over the past few years to remain at VCU. What was so different to you about Texas?

Smart: I think just that it was Texas. That was the biggest difference. If you look at the opportunities here from the university to the city to the athletic department and the tradition that this basketball program has -- and the future opportunities that this basketball program has -- it struck me overall as a phenomenal opportunity for us.

CBSSports.com: You've been prepared to deal with a lot of things in your coaching career, but you never had to stand in front of your team and tell them you were leaving to go to another school. What was that like?

Smart: That was the hardest part, because you have relationships built up with these guys and you care about them. They came to school to play for you and in college coaching the change is so abrupt. It's unlike most other professions where there's a little bit of a time period where you can say goodbye and spend some time. I really made the decision on a Thursday night and was gone the next day.

CBSSports.com: Your high-octane style allowed your brand to grow into a national product at VCU. Do you think you'll be able to implement that same philosophy at Texas?

Smart: I think some of the things that made successful will carry over. I think that you always want to fit what you do around who you have. I think that's really important. I'm still in the process of getting a feel for the team here. The guys that we have on the team and the guys that we have coming in -- we're still figuring that stuff out. I wouldn't say our team at Texas this next year will look different than the VCU teams that we've had, but there will certainly be some similarities and we don't have to necessarily do what we did at VCU for 40 minutes. I think there will be an emphasis for us to play an aggressive style of basketball and for us to offensively hopefully play fast.

CBSSports.com: You've only been on the job for a little over week, but what are your initial impressions of the roster you've inherited on Texas?

Smart: It's a really good group of guys. Guys that care about one another and I've been really impressed by that. They seem like they get along really well, which is important. A group of guys that we're really excited to work with. We've been on the court a couple of times and we'll be on the court some more this week. I'm excited about the eagerness that these guys have shown to get on the court and work.

CBSSports.com: One major difference in your staff compared to the one you had at VCU is Darrin Horn, who was formerly the head coach at South Carolina. How big was it to you to have a former head coach on your staff from the power five level?

Smart: I think the biggest thing is Darrin's a guy that has had a lot of success as a head coach. He's coached in the Sweet 16 and has coached some terrific players. The level of experience that he brings to our staff is very high. At the same time, he has a humility level that allows him to fit in really well with our other guys. You kind of combine all those things when you're making decisions with your staff.

CBSSports.com: You're still a young head coach yourself, but several of your former assistants are currently already head coaches including Will Wade who succeeded you at VCU. How does the feeling of watching one of your former pupils have success compare to when one of your own team's have success?

Smart: I think that's something as a coach that makes you feel really good -- when guys you worked with in the past -- players, assistant coaches who can move on and have success. That's something that I don't want to say we took a lot of pride in because we didn't beat our chest about it at VCU, but it's something that's fun to watch and fun to see. Whether it's Mike Rhoades (Rice) or Will Wade (VCU) or Mike Jones (Radford) or Jamion Christian (Mount St. Mary's) or guys that have played at VCU in the past and have moved on, it's a lot of fun to see.

CBSSports.com: In addition to yourself, five other coaches in the Big 12 have reached the Final Four and the ones who didn't have all led their teams to deep runs in the NCAA Tournament. Being the head coach at Texas is a great opportunity, but how great of a coaching challenge are you specifically about to undertake considering the level of competition that's in this league?

Smart: It's a league of phenomenal coaches, really across the board. It's something that certainly presents a great challenge when you combine talented teams with terrific coaches, it presents very tough competition when you're going against the other programs in this league. We're excited about building on the success that Texas has had in the past and this is a program that as we go and continue to improve, can have a lot success. We're going to work hard at that.

img25149973.jpg

http://www.cbssports...ach-shaka-smart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users