Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
HornSports Staff

2016 Recruiting - Week #7-14

It's going to be interesting how many O-line we take. The more I look at the numbers I think we may only take 3 this cycle. Several recruiting guys think we are only taking 20 commits this year (sounds about right to me, maybe a couple more). Just a guess but this is what I'm thinking. 

QB-2
RB-1
TE/FB-2
WR-3
OL-3

DL-4
LB-2
Safety-1
CB-2

Looking at the offensive line. After this year, we will have 13 O-lineman on scholarship. Say we take 4 more in the '16 class that will get us at 17 scholarship O-lineman. Unless there's attrition I just can't see us taking more than 3 or 4 in the '16 class. 18 o-lineman on scholarship seems excessive, but I'm not real sure how many o-lineman are normally on scholarship. 

SRs (Doyle, Flowers, Hutchins) 
JRs (Hughes, Hodges, Perkins) 
SO (James, Nickelson, Raulerson)
FR (Thomas, Rodriguez, Anderson, Williams, Cuney, Vahe, Major)

Southall must have hit a growth spurt, turned a corner or something. His stock has blown up.

Okafor will be a Texas-OU battle. OU has had an edge at Lewisville through past coaching eras. This coach hasn't sent one to OU though. 

One way at looking at recruiting is seeing how many seniors there are and fill thier spaces by position. This usually keeps a balanced depth chart. Which is three players at each position or 66 plus kickers and punters. This leaves extras for positions like QB which needs at least four. So 15 OL plus 3 or maybe 4 would be about right IMO. ON of Macks faults usually had more recievers than OL IMO.

Charlie's first full recruiting class at Louisville had nine players drafted. Two were 4 stars recruits and the other seven were 3 stars. Seven 3 star players drafted by the NFL is not too shabby.

Four years ago, none of the major online recruiting sites ranked Charlie Strong's first full recruiting class at Louisville in the top 25, but it produced three first-rounders (Teddy Bridgewater, Calvin Pryor and DeVante Parker); three third-rounders (John Miller, Jamon Brown and Lorenzo Mauldin); two sixth-rounders (Deiontrez Mount, Charles Gaines); and one seventh-rounder (Gerod Holliman).

In all, Louisville had eight picks drafted in the first three rounds in the past two years. The Cards had only seven players picked in first three rounds in the previous 10 years. U of L also had four first-rounders in the past two years compared to just two first-rounders in the 16 years before Charlie Strong was hired.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2455921-texas-football-charlie-strong-will-make-longhorns-relevant-on-draft-day-again

Feel free to disagree. 

After watching some more film. 

1-Erick Fowler is probably my favorite player in the state. 
2-The offensive line talent in Texas is terrible. 
3-There's not an elite RB in Texas this year. Really don't care if we pass on RB this year.
4-Kaden Smith should be a top 5 player in the state of Texas. Probably the best TE to come out of Texas in some time. 
5-Not real sure what the aggys are doing at CB. Fuller seems like a guy you offer if you can't land more elite prospects. I honestly have no clue what Sumlin is doing in terms of secondary recruiting. 
6-Kofi Boateng is drastically underrated. I will not be mad if that's the 3rd WR we end up with (granted we have to offer him). 
7-Dontavious Jackson not being a top 100 national player is laughably bad. 
8-Don't want Kam Martin unless he wants to play in the secondary. 
9-I have no clue where Christian Wallace ends up, but kid is a player. I think if we land him you go after another safety, because I'm not so sure he ends up at safety. 
10-Seems like a ton of defensive talent this year in the state, but man the offensive talent isn't great.

Feel free to disagree. 

After watching some more film. 

1-Erick Fowler is probably my favorite player in the state. 

2-The offensive line talent in Texas is terrible. 

3-There's not an elite RB in Texas this year. Really don't care if we pass on RB this year.

4-Kaden Smith should be a top 5 player in the state of Texas. Probably the best TE to come out of Texas in some time. 

5-Not real sure what the aggys are doing at CB. Fuller seems like a guy you offer if you can't land more elite prospects. I honestly have no clue what Sumlin is doing in terms of secondary recruiting. 

6-Kofi Boateng is drastically underrated. I will not be mad if that's the 3rd WR we end up with (granted we have to offer him). 

7-Dontavious Jackson not being a top 100 national player is laughably bad. 

8-Don't want Kam Martin unless he wants to play in the secondary. 

9-I have no clue where Christian Wallace ends up, but kid is a player. I think if we land him you go after another safety, because I'm not so sure he ends up at safety. 

10-Seems like a ton of defensive talent this year in the state, but man the offensive talent isn't great.

1. Agree
  2. Semi-agree or semi-disagree
  3. Agree
  4. Agree
  5. Who?
  6. Agree
  7. Agree
  8. Agree
  9. Agree - think he'll be "Hooked"
  10. Agree

Not a fan of Martin at RB either. I think of the ones we have offered 4-5 are better RBs.

I agree on most of what u said. OL talent will be better but I feel its better at 17-18 than 16 bc of physical maturity. As most, I feel OL needs that RS year in college.