• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 joeywa

joeywa

Unofficial HS BBQ Consultant & Baseball Pundit

• 12,502 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

Y'all remember when we started the BBQ Smoking series and I told you that you're going to screw something up?  Well, this morning it was my turn.  I had some turkey legs and a bourbon pecan pie on the pit.  Unexpected flare up sent major flames into the smoke chamber.  I had to shut down the damper and the smoke stacks.  Singed my eyebrows and the pie was scorched and ruined.  Back to the drawing board, (or kitchen as it was.)  The turkey legs will be fine.  The pie had to be remade. 

My point?  Fear not.  The smoking gods chose me today.  Hopefully all of your smoked turkeys, hams, pies, prime ribs, etc., turn out well today. 

And don't worry if you do screw it up, just gather yourself and try again!

Happy Thanksgiving all.  Hook Em!

"This is the place where brilliant minds assemble to willfully pool
ignorance with questionable logic in order to reach absurd conclusions."

-Sign hanging in Study Butte General Store, Study Butte, TX

@joeywa_44

#22 streettopeschel

streettopeschel

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:16 AM

Thoughts and prayers for the pie. And eyebrows.

#23 JimsTexas

JimsTexas

V.I.P.

• Members
  • 505 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
  • Longhorns

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

Y'all remember when we started the BBQ Smoking series and I told you that you're going to screw something up?  Well, this morning it was my turn.  I had some turkey legs and a bourbon pecan pie on the pit.  Unexpected flare up sent major flames into the smoke chamber.  I had to shut down the damper and the smoke stacks.  Singed my eyebrows and the pie was scorched and ruined.  Back to the drawing board, (or kitchen as it was.)  The turkey legs will be fine.  The pie had to be remade. 

My point?  Fear not.  The smoking gods chose me today.  Hopefully all of your smoked turkeys, hams, pies, prime ribs, etc., turn out well today. 

And don't worry if you do screw it up, just gather yourself and try again!

Happy Thanksgiving all.  Hook Em!

i like to BBQ as much as the next guy and find my self cooking out side as we travel across the country. But a pie on the BBQ pit is a first. My friends y'all have a great day

• Shevis Irons likes this

#24 joeywa

joeywa

• 12,502 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

i like to BBQ as much as the next guy and find my self cooking out side as we travel across the country. But a pie on the BBQ pit is a first. My friends y'all have a great day

Don't knock it, Jim.  You've had my BBQ before.  That smoked pie is off the charts! 

@joeywa_44

#25 streettopeschel

streettopeschel

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

i've never heard of it either jim. i think joey's making sh*t up. and i'm guessin' the fire started because not all the bourbon was in the pie.
  • joeywa likes this

#26 joeywa

joeywa

• 12,502 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

:rolleyes: I'll never tell.

@joeywa_44

#27 JimsTexas

JimsTexas

V.I.P.

• Members
  • 505 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
  • Longhorns

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:09 PM

Don't knock it, Jim.  You've had my BBQ before.  That smoked pie is off the charts! 

I look forward to trying it and yes you can fix a some great BBQ. Deb will vouch for that. My friends y'all have a great week

#28 UTK66

UTK66

Veteran

• Premium Members
  • 2,308 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:27 AM

Did my first ever brisket on Saturday for my wife's birthday. Interesting day to say the least. She sprung the news that she wanted a brisket on me about 6:00 Friday night and then invited a bunch of friends and family over for a day of drinking, playing games, goofing off and waiting to see what I was gonna screw up. Got the fire started later than I intended and had to cook it hotter than I wanted but I got it done. Did brisket, fresh corn on the cob and smoked some potatoes as well all on the pit. Thoughts?? Be nice, or not, I don't care. No one has reported being ill yet so there is that.

Attached Files

• Aaron Carrara likes this

@UTexas66

#29 joeywa

joeywa

• 12,502 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

Honest thoughts here UTK, on the pit, looks good.  Bark developing nicely. 

On the cutting board, the flat looks a bit dry and not much smoke ring.  I attribute this to you having to ramp up the heat to meet the wife's deadline, so in essence, you baked it rather than smoked it.  No biggie.  You were under time constraints, so it's completely acceptable.  For your first effort, you done good. 

Couple of thoughts for your next smoke:

If your wife tells you that there's going to be folks coming over for supper, and she wants it by 6, tell her it'll be ready when it's ready, and stock up on more beer for the guests.  They'll wait, I promise.  Never had anyone walk out and say "Screw this noise, I ain't waitin' for the brisket to be ready." 

Secondly, when you slice it, slice it across the grain, which is not necessarily from side to side, it's usually going to be at a slight angle.

a59e8e73-ec5d-4328-90ed-e7c8c6b3cd60_zps

When you smoke it low and slow, you'll get a better smoke ring.  When you get up above 300 degrees, you lose quite a bit of the smoke process.

Overall, good job.  Keep at it.  You'll pick up little things, (that others won't necessarily notice, but you will,) that will make your briskets better almost every time you smoke one. 

• UTK66 likes this

@joeywa_44

#30 Aaron Carrara

Aaron Carrara

Co-Publisher

• Administrators
  • 4,262 posts
  • HornSports

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:58 PM

UTK, I'd eat that brisket! Then again there aren't many things I wouldn't eat that spawn from the grill. :-)
  • UTK66 likes this

Aaron Carrara
Co-Publisher

aaron@hornsports.com

hssig.jpg

#31 Juan

Juan

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 19,757 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:42 AM

Austin BBQ-hating commies lose another round

http://www.statesman...cue-smok/nnBzx/

"An Austin City Council member’s proposal to regulate smoke wafting from barbecue joints into residential areas has been chewed over by two committees, who have now both decided they don’t much like the taste of it....."

• Aaron Carrara and joeywa like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Food, HowTo, Additional Info, BBQ, Beer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users