Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
joeywa

Requested BBQ Smoking Thread****Part 4****

21 hours ago, Dbut82 said:

I know you currently have a barrel smoker but personally with $500 I'd look into an Oklahoma Joe reverse flow offset stick burner.  They retail for about $500-$600. I know they're now owned by CharBroil and from my understanding the quality of them has diminished but I couldn't tell you that from personal experience.  The ones I've seen appear to be well built.  I'd look at the thickness of the materials and if you're comfortable with it then pull the trigger.  There are mods that can be done to them to "upgrade" your pit and that may be a good route.  I'm only telling you this because as badly as I want to keep saving for something like a Lang, I'm getting impatient and may do exactly this. LOL!  I'm not a fan of pellet smokers (nothing against them; just call me more traditional I guess) and from my understanding the BGE are awesome but take time to master.  When it comes down to it tho, learn your pit, be happy with it and you'll produce some great que!  Good luck!

I will tell you to steer clear of any Char Broil product. They have significantly cheapened the materials that they use on the New Braunfels line of pits. This was likely done to hit a price point but they don't last. 

I would recoomend looking into the Old Country brand carried at Academy. They have on offset that runs around $499 I believe, and another that's $699. Quality built and durable. 

Whatever you buy, you will get what you pay for. 

1 minute ago, joeywa said:

I will tell you to steer clear of any Char Broil product. They have significantly cheapened the materials that they use on the New Braunfels line of pits. This was likely done to hit a price point but they don't last. 

I would recoomend looking into the Old Country brand carried at Academy. They have on offset that runs around $499 I believe, and another that's $699. Quality built and durable. 

Whatever you buy, you will get what you pay for. 

Thanks Joey! I had heard/read that the quality of those pits had diminished since CharBroil bought them. And yes, Old Country makes a solid unit for the price.

Hey Joey! I'm attempting beef short ribs for the 1st time. As far as cook times, should they take about as long as a brisket of equal weight. Or can I expect that they'll cook faster due to the bone? I got em prepped and ready but I'm trying to time em to be ready for the game. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Dbut82 said:

Hey Joey! I'm attempting beef short ribs for the 1st time. As far as cook times, should they take about as long as a brisket of equal weight. Or can I expect that they'll cook faster due to the bone? I got em prepped and ready but I'm trying to time em to be ready for the game. Thanks!

My experience is faster than a brisket but looking for the same type of signs; fork tender, heavy bark, internal of 200-205-ish.