Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
joeywa

Requested BBQ Smoking Thread ****Part 3****

If anyone would share a really good steak marinade, would be appreciated.

For really god, well-marbled steaks, I find that just salt & pepper are more than sufficient. For a lesser cut, I've used orange juice, (ie on skirt steak for fajitas,) as well as Sweetwater Spice brines.

I second Sweetwater Spice brine for fajitas.  Have not found anything better.

Steaks, just salt, pepper, and butter.  Buy Choice/Prime grades of beef if possible.  Makes a huge difference.  

For steaks, esp higher end cuts, (filets, ribeyes, NY,) SFLG is exactly right on Choice/Prime. 

Joeywa, when do you expect beef prices to drop, if at all?  Looking to practice on some Prime Rib before the holidays. 

Not for quite some time.  I saw a projection from one of my analysts on Thusday.  These were the prices.

Choice steers, $/cwt & vs year-ago:

2012: $122.86, +7.09%

2013: $125.89, +2.47%

2014: $152.50, +21.14% (Projected 2014 avg)

2015: $155.50, +1.97% (Projected 2015 avg)

Keep in mind, herd sizes are down, exports are up.  I'm not a commodity analyst, but I think you're looking at 2016 when there's going to be some relief.  The '14 & '15 numbers are merely projected numbers, and the analysts were all way off for 2014 last year, in many categories. 

Not for quite some time.  I saw a projection from one of my analysts on Thusday.  These were the prices.

Choice steers, $/cwt & vs year-ago:

2012: $122.86, +7.09%

2013: $125.89, +2.47%

2014: $152.50, +21.14% (Projected 2014 avg)

2015: $155.50, +1.97% (Projected 2015 avg)

Keep in mind, herd sizes are down, exports are up.  I'm not a commodity analyst, but I think you're looking at 2016 when there's going to be some relief.  The '14 & '15 numbers are merely projected numbers, and the analysts were all way off for 2014 last year, in many categories. 

Geez, big increase in prices.  Due to drought across America?

Just so y'all know, I'm smokin' three fatties right now. No, not of the weed variety. I've got Jimmy Dean sausage logs rubbed with Salt Lick Garlic rub on the pit right now.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d30/joeywa/2E024471-37F1-4914-938F-F97C4A1774E4_zpsvucfmqlo.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d30/joeywa/8B91BAF7-969D-4048-9D2E-C605C6F23D0C_zpstta7pzdv.jpg

On 10/4/2014 at 2:29 PM, joeywa said:

Just so y'all know, I'm smokin' three fatties right now. No, not of the weed variety. I've got Jimmy Dean sausage logs rubbed with Salt Lick Garlic rub on the pit right now.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d30/joeywa/2E024471-37F1-4914-938F-F97C4A1774E4_zpsvucfmqlo.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d30/joeywa/8B91BAF7-969D-4048-9D2E-C605C6F23D0C_zpstta7pzdv.jpg

I just attempted my first Fatty (bacon wrapped, blue and gold) and its was unbelievable greasy. Folks at my work loved it but I wont be making another. Maybe I did something wrong idk. Got my brisket on right now for tomorrow evening, trying some or your tricks! Gonna make for great football watching

On 9/15/2017 at 10:00 PM, okiehorn said:

I just attempted my first Fatty (bacon wrapped, blue and gold) and its was unbelievable greasy. Folks at my work loved it but I wont be making another. Maybe I did something wrong idk. Got my brisket on right now for tomorrow evening, trying some or your tricks! Gonna make for great football watching

Why did you wrap it with bacon?

i just dry run a breakfast sausage roll then smoke it. 

2 minutes ago, joeywa said:

Why did you wrap it with bacon?

i just dry run a breakfast sausage roll then smoke it. 

It's something the guys at work have had before so I looked up the recipe under "smoking a fatty" it's a bacon weave around the whole thing. Looked super tasty but I just wasn't a fan....

also so I tried to smoke drum sticks this weekend to go with my brisket in my electric master built smoker and it was a fail, they never reached the correct internal temp. Even cookin for 6 Stinken hrs on 250... used a drum leg holder my wife bought me the sits in a trey and they hang over the trey. Could this be why? Because this was first time they have never finished and first time I have used that trey? Any ideas