Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
joeywa

Requested BBQ Smoking Thread ****Part 3****

Sorry for the delay, but this thread is going to discuss the types of woods used in smoking.

You can use many types of woods for smoking, and each imparts different flavors. Depending upon what tyype of meat you've got on the pit, that will help determine what type you use.

Let's discuss here, and as always, I'll try to answer questions for y'all.

Here's a list of my favorites:

Pork: Apple, Cherry, Hickory, Pecan, Maple

Beef: Pecan, Oak, Mesquite

Turkey: Cherry, Pecan

Chicken: Oak, Apple, Pecan

Fish: Alder

NEVER use pine or cedar for smoking.

I tend to use red oak as a base for most of my smokes. If I could get my hands on Post Oak logs, I'd use that instead.

I don't like white oak.

I really like Pecan

Mesquite you have to be careful with, as it can be very overpowering.

So fire away with your questions.

It really depends on where you're located. It is FAR easier to find smoking wood suppliers in Texas than in TN or WA. Check out google, searching for "smoking woods, your town," and see what is around you. Craigslist is also a good resource.

Academy carries logs, but they're expensive.

Joeywa

I only smoke two meats. Brisket and sparerib. I decided many years ago that Postoak is the best overall wood. I also love pecan. Several years ago I acquired a piece of land that is covered in Postoak and pecan.

The 2010 drought killed a few oaks and pecans. You are welcome to come get some. Just bring your chainsaw.

Joeywa

I only smoke two meats. Brisket and sparerib. I decided many years ago that Postoak is the best overall wood. I also love pecan. Several years ago I acquired a piece of land that is covered in Postoak and pecan.

The 2010 drought killed a few oaks and pecans. You are welcome to come get some. Just bring your chainsaw.

Thanks Bear. Is this property, by chance, in Seattle? ;)

If so, I'll be right up.

If anyone knows of someone willing to send some post oak/pecan/mesquite wood via mail, please let me know.  I am more than willing to pay for the shipping and any other "reasonable" fees they may charge.

I have a Diplomatic Post Office (DPO) address, so you can use the flat rate boxes and just pack them up and ship.

I've been using a combo of mesquite and pecan.  Produces great flavor with ribs and pulled pork.

I have combo of mesquite and cherry ready for brisket.  Can't find any post oak and not going out of my way to find it.  I'll stick to what they have at Home Depot.  

SFLG, try the following, (all in the DFW area):

http://www.discountfirewood.com/

http://www.rosemeademarket.com/

http://www.hirschsmeats.com/hirsch-products/hirsch_products_woodsandseasonings.htm

Also, Bass Pro sells chunks, and Acadamy has bags of chunks and/or logs. 

SFLG, try the following, (all in the DFW area):

http://www.discountfirewood.com/

http://www.rosemeademarket.com/

http://www.hirschsmeats.com/hirsch-products/hirsch_products_woodsandseasonings.htm

Also, Bass Pro sells chunks, and Acadamy has bags of chunks and/or logs. 

i know Whole Foods had some big-ass bags of pecan chunks the other day and i'd swear they had some oak as well.

My go to for anything beef is post oak. If I am running low I will use pecan which I have found works well also. I recently did a Boston Butt and used peach, which I had never tried before, and I sat very well with the pork and added a little sweetness to it. 

In the Austin area Randells is usually a good place to find bags of Pecan, Hickory and sometimes Oak.

Any thoughts for what the next segment should include? Fire away.

Best beer to drink while you are thinking about smoking ribs and brisket.

Best beer to drink while you are actually smoking ribs and brisket.

Best beer to drink while you are eating ribs and brisket.

That's all I've got for now.

Best beer to drink while you are thinking about smoking ribs and brisket.

Best beer to drink while you are actually smoking ribs and brisket.

Best beer to drink while you are eating ribs and brisket.

That's all I've got for now.

Since I have a Kegerator in the Man Pit, I'm partial to the following:

A) Cold

B) Free

C) Easily accessible

D) Shiner Bock

E) Whatever I have in the keg

Here are the issues I ran up against on my first try on the smoker (which Joeywa helped me for hours on end with):

- How to start the fire in the pit and keep it hot.

- How to know when it's time to put the meat on.

- What to do if you're having trouble maintaining temp. (This was my biggest and most frustrating issue)

- What side to put the meat on the grate (fat side up/down)

- How best to season/brine the meat.

- How often to put more wood/charcoal in the pit.

- How do I know if it's ready.

- How to clean/maintain the smoker.