Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
SFlonghorngirl

Horn Sports Recipes

I frequently get requests for my fried chicken from many people, as well.  I will try to put the recipe on here later.  It's not difficult, but requires patience.

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, 1 hour preparation

note:  first time that I tried making these and they were outstanding.  if you are familiar with The Zone, these are fairly Zone friendly.

8 Enchiladas, can roll or make flat in New Mexico tradition.  New Mexico Green Chile from Hatch is best.  Can buy at Central Market or Upscale HEB.

Ingredients

Hatch Green Chile Sauce

Chicken Broth, 3 cups

1 1/2 cups onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 chopped fresh tomato

3 chicken breasts

1 1/2 to 2 cups colby and monterrey jack cheese, or monterrey jack, or mild cheddar, by preference

1 tsp cilantro

sour cream or light sour cream (1/2 cup)

corn or flour tortillas

garnish with:  salsa, portion of the sour cream, fresh tomato, spanish rice, as preferred

Either purchase or make Hatch green chile sauce in advance.  I purchased it at HEB, approximately 24 oz.

Boil chicken breasts until cooked through, approximately 18 minutes. 

Pour 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil into glass rectangular baking dish (13x9x2) baking dish and place into 350 degree oven

Simmer chicken broth (low fat if desired) with onion & garlic for 15 minutes, add cilantro during last 3 or 4 minutes.

-When chicken is cooked, shred and roll into tortillas with about 1/2 of the cheese  (if making flat, stacked enchiladas, you may do the same thing)

----be certain to place edge side down

-Take baking dish from oven and place enchiladas in dish, spread 1/2 sour cream over top of enchiladas

-pour green chile sauce over the enchiladas.

-pour chicken stock with onions, garlic, and cilantro over the enchiladas

Note:  you may not want to use all of the stock.  use your judgement.

Heat in 350 - 375 oven for 30 - 40 minutes until bubbly, put remaining cheese over enchiladas during the last 15 minutes.

Serve with remaining Sour Cream,  Salsa,  Tomatoes and Black Olives to garnish as is your preference.

This is much easier and quicker than it sounds.   

Little bit of misdirection there, huh, Java?  You had better hurry up with that fried chicken recipe.  I am sure that you do not wish to suffer the wrath of the Wet Noodle!  Aaargh!

SFG, fyi, 

I did not use sour cream on the ones that I ate and used corn tortillas so more Zone friendly, though I tasted a bite with the sour cream.  It adds an extra dimension, but I am just as happy with more salsa.  The salsa that I prefer, and I consider myself fairly discriminating about the subject, is Native Texan, Restaurant Style.  It's made in Austin.  I purchase at HEB or Central Market.  I don't know if they have HEB's in Dallas (if you are still there), but they do have it at Central Market.  They probably have it at Whole Foods, as well.  It's not horribly expensive, but it doesn't seem that many stores carry it.  I don't know why because it is outstanding, and I believe I paid $3.00/jar, which I consider quite reasonable for good salsa.  :-)

The Zone also encourages soft cheeses, but the beauty of The Zone, is that you can modify it somewhat.  Much of the philosophy centers around avoiding 'bad' or insulin producing carbs and processed foods, and that suits me just fine. 

Lucus

Made the Mexican cornbread. Could not find the Martha White you pictured so got Pioneer corn bread mix. Used a cup and a half of that and one cup of buttermilk instead of the Sweet milk it called for. Everything else is exactly as you had written. It is delicious. We just cut it and my wife is enjoying it with a bowl of pinto beans right now.

Thanks.

Lucus

Made the Mexican cornbread. Could not find the Martha White you pictured so got Pioneer corn bread mix. Used a cup and a half of that and one cup of buttermilk instead of the Sweet milk it called for. Everything else is exactly as you had written. It is delicious. We just cut it and my wife is enjoying it with a bowl of pinto beans right now.

Thanks.

Awesome! Take pics if you can.

Lukus

Hate to admit it but I do not know how to post pics. I have actually been going to start a thread getting directions but I hate to be "that guy."

At any rate it was cooked perfectly with a brown crust on bottom. As I do with all cornbread and as you suggested I put the skillet with a little oil on the stove burner and got it hot and then pour the mixture in and let it bubble for a couple of minutes first. I think this helps you and get that delicious bottom crust.

Bear, I'm no expert, but I just took a picture with my phone, emailed it to myself, uploaded it to my computer, and used my media.  Someone else can probably make it sound better, but it took about 2 minutes.  I didn't want to look for the cord to attach to computer and my router from cable company is simply terrible.

Going to call Dish tomorrow as soon as I get AC problem resolved.  It went out this afternoon, which is a pretty big deal in mid-August!  :-)

Java

Thanks for the advice but now you are really making me "that guy." :-)

I can take the picture with my phone and email it to myself ,no problem. I've got that. It's when you said "upload to my computer and then used my media" that my brain gets scrambled.

I ain't got no media.

Taiwanese grilled corn. This is a staple at night markets.

Try before corn season is over.

Sauce:

1/4 cup of dark soy sauce (regular soy sauce is fine)

3 crushed garlic cloves

1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper depending on your level of spiciness

Mix ingredients.

Brush corn with sauce just like you would with butter on grill. I recommend 3 layers of sauce. Enjoy!

Save it to your computer.  If you are using windows, does it have a 'my pictures' or something like that?  I don't use windows.

Click on picture in email.  A box should open with 'save as', 'in' 'my pictures' if that's what they call it.

Once you have done that, go to reply, in the 'reply box', click on 'my media', search your computer in 'my pictures'.

I hope that is correct in a windows operating system.

If not, someone please give him the correct information.

Java, if you have anymore diet friendly recipes, please do share!

I will, I have quite a few, but many of them are in a book I hope to unpack in a couple of days.  Unfortunately, my AC went out at about 4pm today.  The HVAC guy didn't get here today.  I am hoping for early tomorrow am.  If not, I am making arrangements to go elsewhere for a day or two.

Hook 'em!

You should be able to save it to 'My Photo':

Go to 'File'

Then, 'Save As', Something having to do with photos

If you have gotten this far, you have it made!

Go to Hornsports, and Reply to This Topic.

Write whatever you were going to write.

Place your cursor where you want the picture to be and 'click'

Go to 'My Media', 

I would click "Gallery Images'

Click on the picture you want.  I didn't tell you how to name it.  (You will see a code when you first save it.  Write that down)

you can find it that way.

That should display your picture.

Hope this helps.  Next time, try to rename picture, something that makes sense to you.  Hopefully this gets you on the right track.

Hook 'em, Bear!

Save to your Camera Roll on your iPhone.  If it's like mine, there is a little square bottom left with an arrow, click, and see menu.

First icon, second row, you will see, Save image. click.  That should save to your camera roll.

Then you will have to go to directions I gave about posting above.  Directions are not easy when written.  The process itself is easy.

I don't post from my phone because I'm inclined to error, so I'm not certain about any details involved.

Good luck!

Ok, I'll share one that my mom always made when I was growing up. It's a favorite even today.

Hamburger casserole

Ground meat 1 lb

Cheddar Cheese

Diced onions, bell peppers

Ranch style beans 1 can (large)

ketchup

Brown your meat, mix with onions and peppers and then the ranch style beans and ketchup in a large bowl. Then place into casserole dish, layering cheddar cheese over the top. Bake at 350 until the cheese on top starts to brown.

It's awesome with dinner rolls!