55 replies to this topic

#1 SFlonghorngirl

SFlonghorngirl

Veteran

• Premium Members
  • 2,433 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

Can't lie. Didn't make this recipe myself.  I stole from Michael Symon, an Iron Chef.  Super easy, light, and refreshing.  Great with BBQ/grilled meats! I only added half the dressing mixture.  Tasted the salad to see if I needed to add more and did not.  Add the liquid mixture to your liking.  

http://abc.go.com/sh...d-michael-symon

20140806_171244_zps44576817.jpg

• Lukus Alderman likes this

Instagram: shannysquared

#2 Bewarre

Bewarre

Under Contract

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

Looks like you did more corn than he suggests too or is that a double batch?

#3 SFlonghorngirl

SFlonghorngirl

Veteran

• Premium Members
  • 2,433 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

Looks like you did more corn than he suggests too or is that a double batch?

More corn than suggested since I bought 8 corns prior to finding recipe.  

#4 Juan

Juan

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 19,757 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Wedding Cake

Bucw1SHIMAAODcj.jpg

• UTK66, monarch, Lukus Alderman and 2 others like this

#5 Lukus Alderman

Lukus Alderman

• Members
  • 2,418 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

I'll have to get some of my wife's recipes on here.

My favorite is the Mexican Cornbread.
  • Bear19 and SFlonghorngirl like this

#6 Randolph Duke

Randolph Duke

THE DUKE

• Premium Members
  • 2,452 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

Here are a couple of recipes I have been playing with over the summer for tailgaiting. 

The first is a Vietnamese five-spice chicken wing recipe that is an incredible alternative to buffalo spiced wings. The recipe is from a Dallas restaurant that should be on any foodie's casual weekend lunch bucket list. 

The second one of for an easy baby back rib recipe that takes a fraction of the time it would take to smoke them. 

The third is a chicken souvlaki for those not into eating pork or beef. 

The last one is for prime rib on a grill. If you want to do a first class tailgate, prime rib is a lot easier than steaks. It takes longer, but you don't have to worry about flipping steaks to keep them from overcooking and with a meat thermometer, you can be assured the prime rib is cooked to the desired degree. The recipe has a horseradish sauce that I make up in plastic squeeze bottles and keep in the cooler until needed. 

Attached Files

• monarch, SFlonghorngirl and Kylie Hopkins like this

#7 SFlonghorngirl

SFlonghorngirl

Veteran

• Premium Members
  • 2,433 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

Here are a couple of recipes I have been playing with over the summer for tailgaiting.

The first is a Vietnamese five-spice chicken wing recipe that is an incredible alternative to buffalo spiced wings. The recipe is from a Dallas restaurant that should be on any foodie's casual weekend lunch bucket list.

The second one of for an easy baby back rib recipe that takes a fraction of the time it would take to smoke them.

The last one is for prime rib on a grill. If you want to do a first class tailgate, prime rib is a lot easier than steaks. It takes longer, but you don't have to worry about flipping steaks to keep them from overcooking and with a meat thermometer, you can be assured the prime rib is cooked to the desired degree. The recipe has a horseradish sauce that I make up in plastic squeeze bottles and keep in the cooler until needed.

RD, for the chicken wings, did you find the annato oil at the Asian market?

#8 Randolph Duke

Randolph Duke

THE DUKE

• Premium Members
  • 2,452 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

RD, for the chicken wings, did you find the annato oil at the Asian market?

I use achiote paste (achiote is the same thing as annato). Any decent Latin market will have it. It comes from the Yucatan. If you find the seeds, you can infuse cooking oil (I have used grapeseed and canola) with the seeds. The easiest thing is to find the achiote paste at Fiesta and keep it in the fridge for when you are doing chicken or pork. I use it the most on chicken fajitas or grilled pork tenderloin steaks.

And the caramelized coconut milk is great in coffee if you like Vietnamese coffee. It also works over vanilla ice cream and fresh berries.
  • SFlonghorngirl likes this

#9 armadillo slim

armadillo slim

V.I.P.

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

OK, here's a good tailgate recipe

Elephant Stew

1 medium sized elephant (cubed into bite sized pieces)

brown gravy to cover

2 rabbits (optional)

salt and pepper to taste

cook elephant in large stew pot for 48 hours at 450 degrees until tender, making sure that you continue to add gravy to avoid drying out

serves 3000

add rabbits if more people show up to stretch recipe, but be careful.  some people don't like to find hare in their stew.

SIAP

• monarch, killrjoe and Texas2K like this

#10 monarch

monarch

Veteran

• Banned
  • 2,395 posts
  • LocationHouston / Beaumont TX
  • Longhorns

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

Elephant Stew

brown gravy to cover

2 rabbits (optional)

salt and pepper to taste

cook elephant in large stew pot for 48 hours at 450 degrees until tender, making sure that you continue to add gravy to avoid drying out

serves 3000

add rabbits if more people show up to stretch recipe, but be careful.  some people don't like to find hare in their stew.

SIAP

is this recipe directed towards the "beverly hillbillies" tailgaters group?  or is this a profound joke towards the crimson tide of alabama...

icon-mercedes.png

#11 armadillo slim

armadillo slim

V.I.P.

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

is this recipe directed towards the "beverly hillbillies" tailgaters group?  or is this a profound joke towards the crimson tide of alabama...

trick question:  those are the same groups, you sneaky guy

• monarch likes this

#12 streettopeschel

streettopeschel

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Elephant Stew

brown gravy to cover

2 rabbits (optional)

salt and pepper to taste

serves 3000

SIAP

the fact i actually laughed at this probably says more about me than i should probably reveal.

#13 SFlonghorngirl

SFlonghorngirl

Veteran

• Premium Members
  • 2,433 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

RD, I'm just reviewing this now on my computer. I didn't notice the pic until now.  Is that seriously your tailgate?  Looks like a Michelin 3 star tailgate!

#14 SFlonghorngirl

SFlonghorngirl

Veteran

• Premium Members
  • 2,433 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Wedding Cake

Bucw1SHIMAAODcj.jpg

Is that your wedding cake JG?

#15 Juan

Juan

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 19,757 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

LOL

#16 Bear19

Bear19

Under Contract

• Members
  • 2,788 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

I'll have to get some of my wife's recipes on here.

My favorite is the Mexican Cornbread.

Please give us the Mexican cornbread recipe.
  • Lukus Alderman likes this

#17 Lukus Alderman

Lukus Alderman

• Members
  • 2,418 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

Mexican Cornbread:

1 lg. chopped onion
3 eggs
1.5 cups self-rising corn meal
2/3 cup oil
1 cup whole kernel corn
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sour cream
4-5 tsp of chopped jalapeño peppers (we use jalapeños out of a jar, not fresh cut...for some reason it tastes better. Whitney also likes to pour a little bit of the juice into the mix)

Mix all together. Bake in a round skillet (we use a cast iron skillet from Cracker Barrel and put a little bit of oil in the skillet prior to adding the batter and let it warm on the stove) for 60 minutes at 350 degrees.
  • streettopeschel, SFlonghorngirl and java like this

#18 Bear19

Bear19

Under Contract

• Members
  • 2,788 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

Lukus

Will definitely try. Sounds delicious.

#19 Lukus Alderman

Lukus Alderman

• Members
  • 2,418 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

Lukus

Will definitely try. Sounds delicious.

Let me know how it goes!

#20 SFlonghorngirl

SFlonghorngirl

Veteran

• Premium Members
  • 2,433 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

RD, I'm making the chicken wing recipe next week.  Where do I find coconut caramel?  In the baking/spice section of grocery store?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Food, food

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users