131 replies to this topic

#41 Juan

Juan

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 19,757 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

The Breitbart article is a political hack job.

The presence of both aggy and Bretbart in this matter do muddy the waters.  Somewhat.

Nonetheless, the issue here, as far as I am concerned, is whether the underlying allegations are are true or false.

If true, then everyone involved should be out of a job immediately.

While the original source of the material may easily divert the attention of those types whose attention is easily diverted, it nonetheless does not alter the key question involved here - whether State and School ethics rules were breached.

Likewise, it equally does not matter if someone else got away with this same behavior in the past.  I always hated that defense.  It is another diversion tactic.  More importantly, raising it is tantamount to admitting guilt.

#42 echeese

echeese

Veteran

• Premium Members
  • 2,028 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

I'm a little f##ked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f@#kin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

#43 Texas Homer

Texas Homer

Under Contract

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

Joe Strauss and Bill Powers are good friends and Strauss unfortunately controls the Texas Legislature and hand picked the group going after Hall and led the vote not to fire Powers.  I cant and wont talk anymore about it but your barking up the wrong tree, you should be looking at Strauss and his cronies trying to protect Powers and the reasons why. 

• Growler likes this

#44 Bear19

Bear19

Under Contract

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

Joe Strauss and Bill Powers are good friends and Strauss unfortunately controls the Texas Legislature and hand picked the group going after Hall and led the vote not to fire Powers. I cant and wont talk anymore about it but your barking up the wrong tree, you should be looking at Strauss and his cronies trying to protect Powers and the reasons why.

Would you clarify your post. What do you mean by barking up the wrong tree?

#45 Topstarr

Topstarr

V.I.P.

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
  • LocationAustin
  • Longhorns

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

really

When I was young if I did not have my Stick Horse, I would have had to walk every where I went :P

#46 echeese

echeese

Veteran

• Premium Members
  • 2,028 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Joe Strauss and Bill Powers are good friends and Strauss unfortunately controls the Texas Legislature and hand picked the group going after Hall and led the vote not to fire Powers.  I cant and wont talk anymore about it but your barking up the wrong tree, you should be looking at Strauss and his cronies trying to protect Powers and the reasons why. 

Old adage about 'you are known by the company you keep". . . .

Strauss is a "line your pockets' kinda guy. . . .

I'm really hoping our representatives boot him out of the speaker's job next spring in favor of Scott Turner.. . .a man of great integrity. . .

I'm biased, I know Scott and like him while I think Strauss is a snake in the LBJ mold. . .

#47 doc longhorn

doc longhorn

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationKaty, Texas
  • Longhorns

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

This has nothing to do with UT vs A&M. The guy calling the shots here, Jeff Sandefer, is a UT alum.

This is an attack on higher education in Texas. It's shortsighted to make it about one school vs another.

Cool reasoning.  From an Aggie, no less.

#48 Juan

Juan

V.I.P.

• Premium Members
  • 19,757 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

#49 Bear19

Bear19

Under Contract

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

IMO, I see nothing wrong with his getting certain kids in. He should have just told the lawyers "damn straight I did. Next question."
  • HornNdriftwood likes this

#50 Agamemnon

Agamemnon

Rookie

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

A wrong is a wrong. I never understood the "just about every school does this" to be an excuse to lie.

Why did Powers feel he had to lie? I'm disappointed in him.
  • J.B. TexasEx and Godz40acres like this

#51 Growler

Growler

Under Contract

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

As a UT alum and a father of a daughter who will be attending next fall, both who entered based upon academic achievement as opposed to political nepotism, I am sickened and ashamed of President Powers. I had taken a wait and see attitude with all of the Hall accusations earlier on, but it is apparent now that our administration has been doing political favors for kids based upon who their mommies and daddies are as opposed to their own merit. There are kids who deserved to go to UT and were left out because spots were reserved for political legacies it appears. If it is proven true, then I am okay with Powers and others not only being forced out (Powers apparently knew this was coming anyway) but also prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law with any regards to fraud and public monies. This is a Public State University, not a private institution. The best available students should be accepted based upon merit, not bloodline or Crony symbiotic favors for votes. This cheapens our degrees.

Some people will want to excuse this because nobody wants to see our University in a poor light, but to do so is akin to Aggy quietly turning their head with Sherrill or The Chicago Mayor championing cheating in Little League.

This is serious because it undermines the whole purpose of the University and in my opinion is worse than what was going on with UNC athletics etc.
  • J.B. TexasEx and Godz40acres like this

#52 J.B. TexasEx

J.B. TexasEx

Veteran

• Members
  • 6,994 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:12 PM

As a UT alum and a father of a daughter who will be attending next fall, both who entered based upon academic achievement as opposed to political nepotism, I am sickened and ashamed of President Powers. I had taken a wait and see attitude with all of the Hall accusations earlier on, but it is apparent now that our administration has been doing political favors for kids based upon who their mommies and daddies are as opposed to their own merit. There are kids who deserved to go to UT and were left out because spots were reserved for political legacies it appears.

Sadly, based on the Kroll Report, it looks like Wallace Hall had a legitimate case against Powers. This definitely gives UT an ugly black eye. I trust Admiral McRaven will do everything he can to clean up this mess. 

• Growler and Godz40acres like this

@JBTexasEx

"One simply cannot get enough Jenga in his life" - @TomTheHerman

#53 GBT

GBT

Veteran

• Banned
  • 950 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

Every school in the USA does that crap. If you think they don't , I have some property to sell you.

#54 Growler

Growler

Under Contract

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:34 PM

Every school in the USA does that crap. If you think they don't , I have some property to sell you.

First of all, I'm not completely sure you are correct. And even if so, it doesn't make it acceptable. Then I am in complete favor of being the one University that doesn't and burying those who are guilty.

So are you saying it is ok by you?

#55 MikeV73

MikeV73

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

As a UT alum and a father of a daughter who will be attending next fall, both who entered based upon academic achievement as opposed to political nepotism, I am sickened and ashamed of President Powers. I had taken a wait and see attitude with all of the Hall accusations earlier on, but it is apparent now that our administration has been doing political favors for kids based upon who their mommies and daddies are as opposed to their own merit. There are kids who deserved to go to UT and were left out because spots were reserved for political legacies it appears. If it is proven true, then I am okay with Powers and others not only being forced out (Powers apparently knew this was coming anyway) but also prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law with any regards to fraud and public monies. This is a Public State University, not a private institution. The best available students should be accepted based upon merit, not bloodline or Crony symbiotic favors for votes. This cheapens our degrees.

Some people will want to excuse this because nobody wants to see our University in a poor light, but to do so is akin to Aggy quietly turning their head with Sherrill or The Chicago Mayor championing cheating in Little League.

This is serious because it undermines the whole purpose of the University and in my opinion is worse than what was going on with UNC athletics etc.

I understand your points, but don't put it as worse than the UNC scandal. Those were admitted students taking sham classes while representing UNC. I roll my eyes how these former UNC athlete chuckleheads are now suing the university for not providing them with a solid education. I guess the athletes played no role in any of their class or degree selections. I'm willing to bet some of the UNC athletes who were their at the same time choose good majors and classes and have since graduated and are excelling. Obviously some are not, but it is not all on UNC alone.

I've always found Powers to be a bit odd. First time I laid eyes on him was at the 2005 national title team celebratory event at DKR. He sounded drunk and had very poor speaking skills. Not sure what the story was there, but maybe he had a few stuff ones prior to the event. Either way, while he is held in strong regard nationally the story above states he hid his agenda with admissions.

#56 armadillo slim

armadillo slim

V.I.P.

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:16 PM

First of all, I'm not completely sure you are correct. And even if so, it doesn't make it acceptable. Then I am in complete favor of being the one University that doesn't and burying those who are guilty.

So are you saying it is ok by you?

yeah.  its ok by me.  there is not a university in the country where this doesn't happen and if you think there is, you're simply naive.

bill powers let a few kids in.  its not a big deal at all.    people need to stop the pontificating and nauseating moralizing.  bill powers is the best president we've had in recent memory and stood down a governor bent on  the distruction of this university.

he's ok in my book.

• HornNdriftwood, Johnstark23 and MikeV73 like this

#57 Johnstark23

Johnstark23

Rookie

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:28 PM

yeah. its ok by me. there is not a university in the country where this doesn't happen and if you think there is, you're simply naive.

bill powers let a few kids in. its not a big deal at all. people need to stop the pontificating and nauseating moralizing. bill powers is the best president we've had in recent memory and stood down a governor bent on the distruction of this university.

he's ok in my book.

There is nobody that is more qualified to state this opinion than this guy.

#58 Bear19

Bear19

Under Contract

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

yeah. its ok by me. there is not a university in the country where this doesn't happen and if you think there is, you're simply naive.

bill powers let a few kids in. its not a big deal at all. people need to stop the pontificating and nauseating moralizing. bill powers is the best president we've had in recent memory and stood down a governor bent on the distruction of this university.

he's ok in my book.

Glad to see someone agrees with me. Even if it's just another old fart.

#59 armadillo slim

armadillo slim

V.I.P.

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

Sadly, based on the Kroll Report, it looks like Wallace Hall had a legitimate case against Powers. This definitely gives UT an ugly black eye. I trust Admiral McRaven will do everything he can to clean up this mess. 

completely wrong.  Hall had only one intention and that was to tear down powers so he and his f'ck buddy perry could undermine the mission of UT and convert it into a greatly diminished degree mill.  his attack was anything  but altruistic.

he's a slime bag that needs desperately to be tarred and feathered and ridden out of town on a rail.  thank God Powers held his ground and got help from key BOR members and others so they could hold off until the cavalry arrived.   with the new governor and new chancellor i believe the threat has passed but until this lamebrain is run off, we can't rest.

he's a sorry POS, totally unqualified for the position.  

• pringlelake likes this

#60 Randolph Duke

Randolph Duke

THE DUKE

• Premium Members
  • 2,452 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:09 PM

The University is an arm of the state government and to expect the state government to be divorced from politics is naive. Powers played politics to advance the agenda of the university and Hall played politics to advance the agenda of Rick Perry. I would much rather someone work to protect the interests of the university than to sacrifice the interests of the university to promote the partisan interests of one individual.
  • pringlelake, Agamemnon and MikeV73 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users