Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Juan

Powers rumor

We ostensibly could have both (1) avoided all this and (2) Saban as coach now.

Not sure how we could have avoided this as long as Perry was governor.

The Breitbart article is media slant at it's finest and watchdog.org is basically a Perry mouthpiece. Disregard.

It's hard for me to imagine that Cigarorra, a lame duck who admittedly resigned because he couldn't take the politics, would put himself in this position. This will be a

political firestorm. It was pretty much common knowledge that Powers would be gone by this time next year. There's no way he voluntarily steps down at this point.

This sounds like a desperate, last-ditch, move by Perry/Sandefer/Hall to circumvent Powers, the Lege and the impeachment process before a new Chancellor is hired.

Actually, this could derail the hiring of any top-flight Chancellor currently under consideration.

Joe, I know you are a good Ag, but blaming this on Sandefer is silly. Forgive me for saying so. If we follow your logic, then we wouldn't blame the muscle behind criminal activity. No, not done. Perry has the power, and he has the motivation. He is a scumbag. I'm sorry that he has damaged A&M, but someone should have had the cajones to stand up to him and for A&M. They didn't, and it is what it is.

Agree to disagree.

I think making this into an A&M vs UT thing is silly.

This is about rick and Jeff taking over higher Ed in Texas.

It isn't a UT grad as governor trying to remake aggy to the standards of UT. It is an aggy governor trying to remake UT Austin to standards of aggy.

I am fine with him returning tamu to its original land grant mission of being the low cost option open to the masses. Remember, tamu was founded as a branch of the University of Texas. The University was never supposed to be anything like the ag college. Perry isn't trying to forcibly change U of H, Sam Houston, Texas Tech or Texas State. He is trying to forcibly change the University of Texas at Austin away from its historic mission and make it a mirror of tamu's return to being a land grant college. Anyone thinking this isn't an aggy using political power to forcibly change the University of Texas for the worse is thinking like...well, an aggy. 

Sandefer, like Hall, is a stooge. These guys do the bidding of Perry. Who does the bidding of TPPF. Who does the bidding of the Koch brothers and Claude R. Lambe Foundation.

Follow the money. From the Texas Observer:

"TPPF’s donors are a Who’s Who of Texas polluters, giant utilities and big insurance companies,†said Craig McDonald, director of Texans for Public Justice. “TPPF is thinking the way its donors want it to think.â€

Joe, I know you are a good Ag, but blaming this on Sandefer is silly. Forgive me for saying so. If we follow your logic, then we wouldn't blame the muscle behind criminal activity. No, not done. Perry has the power, and he has the motivation. He is a scumbag. I'm sorry that he has damaged A&M, but someone should have had the cajones to stand up to him and for A&M. They didn't, and it is what it is.

I'm not saying that perry is not to blame here. I'm just trying to steer this conversation away from it being a larger nefarious plot on behalf of Texas A&M to somehow damage UT. This is about a rogue governor being advised by a rogue educational consultant making sweeping negative changes to higher Ed in Texas. Making this an A&M vs UT thing diminishes the problem to petty rivalry and precludes our ability to come together to figure out how to fight the changes.

And there are a group of hint profile A&M alums (the kind of folks with their names on buildings) who have expressed significant displeasure over what's going on, but perry is still running roughshod.

I'm bummed to see powers go. He's done great things for UT.

Story is coming out that "special favors" to put kids in TEXAS' law school is what is driving this. . . . 

you can point fingers where ever you like and make all the excuses you want. . . .this is a black eye for TEXAS. .. . .

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/07/04/Sources-Whistleblowers-Forcing-Out-UT-President

PS,

the link was forwarded to me by someone fairly high up the food chain at TEXAS .. . so spare me the whines about the "source". . . 

Sandefer, like Hall, is a stooge. These guys do the bidding of Perry. Who does the bidding of TPPF. Who does the bidding of the Koch brothers and Claude R. Lambe Foundation.

Follow the money. From the Texas Observer:

"TPPF’s donors are a Who’s Who of Texas polluters, giant utilities and big insurance companies,†said Craig McDonald, director of Texans for Public Justice. “TPPF is thinking the way its donors want it to think.â€

I wonder if you are equally outraged when George Soros and other left wingers do the very same things?

You do realize the left uses non profits the same way?

Always cracks me up when one side screams foul at something both sides do ..  . .

Story is coming out that "special favors" to put kids in TEXAS' law school is what is driving this. . . . 

you can point fingers where ever you like and make all the excuses you want. . . .this is a black eye for TEXAS. .. . .

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/07/04/Sources-Whistleblowers-Forcing-Out-UT-President

PS,

the link was forwarded to me by someone fairly high up the food chain at TEXAS .. . so spare me the whines about the "source". . . 

The Breitbart article is a political hack job. There has always been favoritism at UT (like pretty much every other institution) but it's probably much less under Powers than it's ever been in it's history (hard to say since the don't keep stats on favored sons).

What's interesting to me about this whole Perry v. Powers faceoff is the opposition (that would be Perry's folks) play this like a national political campaign. Planted stories in friendly media outlets. Meanwhile, the good guys (UT & Powers) have to fight with one hand behind their back. This makes me think that it's more important to Perry to be seen as tilting at Ivory Towers than to actually accomplish anything.

It's all about politics.

I wonder if you are equally outraged when George Soros and other left wingers do the very same things?

You do realize the left uses non profits the same way?

Always cracks me up when one side screams foul at something both sides do ..  . .

I'm a little f##ked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f@#kin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

But to the point, yes I'm equally outraged when people, of whichever stripe, manipulate the truth to acquire and hold power. Of course it's done by both sides. But in this era of the internet, you have no excuse not to be informed.

I'm not saying that perry is not to blame here. I'm just trying to steer this conversation away from it being a larger nefarious plot on behalf of Texas A&M to somehow damage UT. This is about a rogue governor being advised by a rogue educational consultant making sweeping negative changes to higher Ed in Texas. Making this an A&M vs UT thing diminishes the problem to petty rivalry and precludes our ability to come together to figure out how to fight the changes.

And there are a group of hint profile A&M alums (the kind of folks with their names on buildings) who have expressed significant displeasure over what's going on, but perry is still running roughshod.

I'm bummed to see powers go. He's done great things for UT.

If you don't realize there are a large group of ags who hate that tamu isn't the equal of UT Austin, you are missing a small part of the rivalry between the two institutions. There is no doubt in my mind quite a number of those "red ass" ags support Perry and would LOVE to see UT Austin brought down to the level of tamu. As long as tamu is in the SEC, I don't think most ags card in the least about academics at the school. Playing football with the other redneck schools of the Confederacy and knowing "tu" was cut down to the level would be heaven on earth to most ags, regardless what it did to higher education in the state of Texas or tamu. Yes, I think most ags are that insecure and that misguided.

Maybe youre right. I cant speak on behalf of all a&m former students. We arent a monolithic group.

But in that breitbart article you'll see a reference to the texas coalition for excellence in higher education. On their webpage theres a list of supporters.

Go through that list and youll see more than a few large money a&m donors.

The Breitbart article is a political hack job.

The presence of both aggy and Bretbart in this matter do muddy the waters.  Somewhat.

Nonetheless, the issue here, as far as I am concerned, is whether the underlying allegations are are true or false.

If true, then everyone involved should be out of a job immediately.

While the original source of the material may easily divert the attention of those types whose attention is easily diverted, it nonetheless does not alter the key question involved here - whether State and School ethics rules were breached.

Likewise, it equally does not matter if someone else got away with this same behavior in the past.  I always hated that defense.  It is another diversion tactic.  More importantly, raising it is tantamount to admitting guilt.

Joe Strauss and Bill Powers are good friends and Strauss unfortunately controls the Texas Legislature and hand picked the group going after Hall and led the vote not to fire Powers.  I cant and wont talk anymore about it but your barking up the wrong tree, you should be looking at Strauss and his cronies trying to protect Powers and the reasons why. 

Joe Strauss and Bill Powers are good friends and Strauss unfortunately controls the Texas Legislature and hand picked the group going after Hall and led the vote not to fire Powers. I cant and wont talk anymore about it but your barking up the wrong tree, you should be looking at Strauss and his cronies trying to protect Powers and the reasons why.

Would you clarify your post. What do you mean by barking up the wrong tree?

Joe Strauss and Bill Powers are good friends and Strauss unfortunately controls the Texas Legislature and hand picked the group going after Hall and led the vote not to fire Powers.  I cant and wont talk anymore about it but your barking up the wrong tree, you should be looking at Strauss and his cronies trying to protect Powers and the reasons why. 

Old adage about 'you are known by the company you keep". . . .

Strauss is a "line your pockets' kinda guy. . . .

I'm really hoping our representatives boot him out of the speaker's job next spring in favor of Scott Turner.. . .a man of great integrity. . .

I'm biased, I know Scott and like him while I think Strauss is a snake in the LBJ mold. . .

This has nothing to do with UT vs A&M. The guy calling the shots here, Jeff Sandefer, is a UT alum.

This is an attack on higher education in Texas. It's shortsighted to make it about one school vs another.

Cool reasoning.  From an Aggie, no less.