4 replies to this topic

#1 alonghorn72

alonghorn72

Veteran

• Members
  • 580 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:13 AM

So I threw a couple of 2lb flats on the smoker a couple weeks ago and they pretty much sucked. I injected them and marinated them for 24 hours and had them on the pit for about 4 hours. Had good flavor and smoke ring but they were tougher than leather. Any secrets about cooking a flat? 

TexAgs.com Quote 
"It's tough being an Aggie fan....in any sport....but for every 20 choke jobs, there is one unexpected victory, so all is not lost." 

#2 Bewarre

Bewarre

Under Contract

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

What temp was the pit at?  What temp was the flat when you pulled it off the pit?  Did you foil? 

Tough usually means under cooked.

#3 alonghorn72

alonghorn72

Veteran

• Members
  • 580 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

What temp was the pit at?  What temp was the flat when you pulled it off the pit?  Did you foil? 

Tough usually means under cooked.

I had the pit going at 250-275 and I pulled the flat @ 155-160. I didn't foil it till I pulled it and let it rest for about an hour. Like I said, this was my first flat so I am sure I crewed something up.

TexAgs.com Quote 
"It's tough being an Aggie fan....in any sport....but for every 20 choke jobs, there is one unexpected victory, so all is not lost." 

#4 Bewarre

Bewarre

Under Contract

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

Brisket isnt usually done till it gets around 190 IT.  If you pulled it at 160ish thats the problem it was undercooked.

Do what you did last time but let it cook longer and I bet you'll have it licked.

#5 joeywa

joeywa

Unofficial HS BBQ Consultant & Baseball Pundit

• 12,163 posts
  • Longhorns

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:36 PM

I'm not a fan of smoking just a flat. I personally think that it isn't enough fat.
Flat is har to cook enough yet maintain moist finished product.
"This is the place where brilliant minds assemble to willfully pool
ignorance with questionable logic in order to reach absurd conclusions."

-Sign hanging in Study Butte General Store, Study Butte, TX

@joeywa_44

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users