Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Vandit

Jimbo Fisher Patterson's number one target?

Wanted to start a new thread instead of it getting buried in the Mcphaul mega thread. El Mahico has stated his sources believe Patterson has made Fisher his #1 and Fisher's camp is very interested. What say you EM and insiders?

Based on all the info from my source, there is a definitive number one target and a definitive 1b target. Fisher has indeed risen to the top of the "other" candidates and is considered the 1b target. He has indeed given ample reason to suspect he would come for the right price, and we could provide that right price. However, he is not, and has not been, according to my source, the top target,and that has not changed in the last 24 hours. My source is very high up the food chain, but, like all things in this type of situation, I could be getting fed false information or things could be changing very rapidly, so take the information with a grain of salt. However, I do not think that is the case. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

I think JF is very interested and would take the position if formally offered. But I also think that until Saban turns us down, it is Saban's job. I have zero insider information, but I'd be surprised we would have all this effort over the last year to get Saban and then give up on him b/c Mack dragged his feet and is acting like a b*tch. Unless Saban has already said "No", JF will not get the job.

I think JF is very interested and would take the position if formally offered. But I also think that until Saban turns us down, it is Saban's job. I have zero insider information, but I'd be surprised we would have all this effort over the last year to get Saban and then give up on him b/c Mack dragged his feet and is acting like a b*tch. Unless Saban has already said "No", JF will not get the job.

Very smart post.

NS, Fisher, Harbaugh, Malzahn. I believe terms have been presented to NS that he's ok with and possibly agreed to through some different channels of communication based on what I've heard. His final decision will be to sign, move, and have a press conference. NS will likely have until the 6th to make that decision or Texas will move on to their options beyond Saban. Patterson is a pro and we should trust that unlike the group that made an unorganized run at Nick the first time, Patterson will have a schedule of events and numbered timeline to go through if NS hesitates. NS has been given the room needed to handle his business at Alabama.

I'm a guy who doesn't have NS as my #1 choice for Texas but his track record of developing programs sepaks for itself and I believe he's a guy who's highly motivated by new challenges. The one things that has been a thorn in his side or monkey on his back if you will, is his inability to muffle spread offenses. As much as people will make this move about money and financial help on bad investments, it's also as much about NS and his desire to eliminate a weaknesses in his game. Unlike Brown as of late, NS self evaluates very well. Couple those things with the fact that Terry wants a more cosmopolitan lifestyle and NS has what he needs to make a move from Alabama. In any other situation, I don't think any one leaves the current Alabama program for Texas.

I think we learned a lot from our first run at NS. I think we were a little out of practice in filling the HC position, which is understandable. The encouraging things are this: 1. My impression is Patterson is in control of our negotiations with NS, whereas my impression of round one was we looked more like my yellow lab begging at the dinner table. I like the fact WE have set timetables, deadlines, and

2. We have established a back-up plan, insurance plan, contingency plan...whatever you want to call it. The shows we will stick to our timetable ( at least I hope it does). This also sends a message to the NS camp that we want you but the deal will terminate on 'x' date and we will move on to plan 1b.

I'll say one more thing. Assuming FSU handles the NC, I'm on the fence about Jimbo jumping ship. I bet that there is a 1c, 1d plan in place as well. Patterson is the real deal.

Hook'em

Can someone explain to me why JF would come after he wins NC. I think he wins. Is it all about $ or is there

Something else. Florida is a nice state with lots of talented kids. Also every year you lose kids and face new

Challenges which should keep him invigorated at his current position. Does he have Texas ties?

Fisher would be a good choice. OH, and how many times must Saban say no before we write him off?

He has never said no to us. On Banquet Friday, he simply "moved on" based on the situation as presented to him. That is different from definitively saying "No" to our terms. This is not to say he might say "No" now, prior to reaching the alter, but it is incorrect to say he has said "No" to us in the past. I know that this might seem like semantics, but it is true.

If our decision basically comes down to Saban or Fisher I will be extremely elated. One of them is the GOAT in regards to college coaches. The other guy is one of the GOAT's best disciples and has without a doubt followed a legend at FSU and returned that program into a national powerhouse. You really can't go wrong with either. Short term, I think Saban is the best because his name immediately turns heads and will give us an immediate boost in recruiting. Long term I'd say Fisher is better because he'd be here for 10-15 years as compared to 5-7.

I really like El Mahico and I know he posts here as well. I never got the idea though his sources were plugged into the BMD/Regent/AD side of things where coaching news would likely come from over a staff source. I may be wrong on his sources, but I've been told in the past he's in with someone who is on the coaching/staff member side of things. just IMO

He says he has not heard anything close to what Mcphaul, several respected others have heard, and obviously what JS has been told to keep quiet about. Its prob just a matter of different people in the food chain

Its entirely possible that wheels are in motion (i.e. coordinated between Texas, 'Bama and FSU) that sends Saban to Texas followed very closely thereafter by Fisher to 'Bama and Smart to FSU. ESPN will run with that story for days as each is introduced in their new digs.

.....or then again, maybe now.

Burton just posted this as part of his article.

I've heard some rumblings about Alabama's Nick Saban continuing to be a possibility.

I asked a high-ranking official if I should give any credence to the scuttlebutt.

"No," the source texted me.

Unfortunately, until the job actually goes to someone else, Saban's name will continue to surface.

Like Fisher and Briles, Saban is taking his team to a BCS bowl, too.

For long term, I would take Jimbo in a heartbeat, if Saban can guarantee at-least 3 titles in the next 5 years, that would also be a home run. It's just the idea of having long term stability vs immediate success (I think it would take Fisher a year or two longer to build the program than it would Saban). Both would be excellent hires though.

I'm pretty sure JF will try and play in the NFL this next yr, so after he fails at that he will probably take the HC job at UT, its the only way we would let him in.:cool:

I wonder if we will ever know the extent of Saban/Sexton's real interest in TEXAS. . .

Having said that and having read Bobby's comments on Jimbo. . .the #1 thing I like about him is the staff he'd bring including a return of Tim Brewster. . .

Short term. ..he'd have a great shot at a repeat title but long term . .sorry FSU isn't TEXAS nor is it a Top 10 job (11-12? maybe) and Tallahassee isn't Austin. . .not to mention we can pay better than they can and by that I mean $10-$20 million more 1st contract alone. . .that is a great deal of coin. .

Don't care. Not worried. Patterson/BMDs/UT will get the best coach available (which means practically anyone with UT's money) in their mind and it's out of our hands. The best news we got was that Mack was done which is a huge movement in a staid, conservative, and accountability averse program.

Between Fisher and Saban, I'd prefer Fisher but only if we thought it was more likely than not he would stay here 7+ years.