Sign in to follow this  
Baron

Predicting Texas' Record

It's that time of year. It's time to predict wins and losses. A futile exercise that leaves most people looking stupid and clueless. But damn is that fun.

I'll go first. I already fit both categories according to my wife. 

I'm hoping for a 11-1 regular season but Maryland X 2 still haunts me. Realistically I'm thinking 9-3 with a conference championship berth.

What do y'all think? 

Advertise on HornSports

I think we can get through the regular schedule with a loss or perhaps even undefeated. But I'll go conservative and say 11-2.

If we have a loss on our regular schedule, it will be LSU.

La Tech should not be underestimated. This is their Super Bowl and they have been treating it as such since last January.

The difference this year, IMO, will be that we've grown up some on both sides of the ball. We will win those close games this year.

We finally have a very good OL with quality depth. We have an explosive RB with some experience. We have a field general QB who has moxie and is football savvy. We have what I've been told is our fastest defense, ever. Tons of talent on that side.

I think Texas will be the cinderella team that could push for a CFP spot if we play our cards right.

anything less than 10-2 is unacceptable barring Sam going down. LSU/Ou are our 2 marquee national all eyes on us games. 1-1 is fair, 2-0 is great, 0-2 is not good. Losing to any other teams is flat out a black mark on our record. i think 11-1 and we play Ou in December for the Big 12 title. 

Just now, TheContractor said:

anything less than 10-2 is unacceptable barring Sam going down. LSU/Ou are our 2 marquee national all eyes on us games. 1-1 is fair, 2-0 is great, 0-2 is not good. Losing to any other teams is flat out a black mark on our record. i think 11-1 and we play Ou in December for the Big 12 title. 

You've just brushed across a major factor – Sam.

If he goes down, we're in deep trouble. Casey is not ready, not even close. And Roschon is even more not-ready than Casey. We have no real option where we'll have success if Sam goes down, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I think we can get through the regular schedule with a loss or perhaps even undefeated. But I'll go conservative and say 11-2.

If we have a loss on our regular schedule, it will be LSU.

La Tech should not be underestimated. This is their Super Bowl and they have been treating it as such since last January.

The difference this year, IMO, will be that we've grown up some on both sides of the ball. We will win those close games this year.

We finally have a very good OL with quality depth. We have an explosive RB with some experience. We have a field general QB who has moxie and is football savvy. We have what I've been told is our fastest defense, ever. Tons of talent on that side.

I think Texas will be the cinderella team that could push for a CFP spot if we play our cards right.

I agree with everything you said except growing up on the defensive side of the ball. While getting younger I hope that the new guys are more talented. And I think they will be and their talent will overcome any lack of experience.

7 hours ago, Baron said:

I agree with everything you said except growing up on the defensive side of the ball. While getting younger I hope that the new guys are more talented. And I think they will be and their talent will overcome any lack of experience.

All new starters played significant snaps last year except the CBs.  They’ll be tested early and often, but they’re a talented group.  Orlando has said this is the fastest defense he’s had so I’m hoping the front 6-7 can get after the qb and help the back end out

8 hours ago, Baron said:

It's that time of year. It's time to predict wins and losses. A futile exercise that leaves most people looking stupid and clueless. But damn is that fun.

I'll go first. I already fit both categories according to my wife. 

I'm hoping for a 11-1 regular season but Maryland X 2 still haunts me. Realistically I'm thinking 9-3 with a conference championship berth.

What do y'all think? 

Toms short history as a head coach suggests he’s good for one upset win and one head scratching loss each year.   

I think a lot of folks are expecting to see Texas open up the passing game to setup the run more.  Here’s my thoughts.   Moving DD to slot does a few things.  It puts our most sure handed and fastest guy getting quick throws and puts a guy that’s possibly just as fast (eagles) in the Z. Eagles will have the bigger catch radius.  With improved OL play I see the ground game better than last year.  I think Texas will use the run and quick passes to draw safeties closer to line and you’ll see eagles have success deep.

heres what I see out of our offense.

Ingram - 1000+ yds rushing

Whittington - 6-700

Sam 2-300 rushing with 2500+ passing

Johnson 75 receptions, 1000+ yds

DD 50-60 receptions, 800 yds

eagles 40 receptions, 700 yds.  Eagles will be the pleasant surprise and a great deep threat.  

38 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

Floor is 9-3.  Ceiling is 12-0.  I think either way they’re in the CCG even with 2 conference losses. 

If everyone stays relatively healthy....

32 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

All new starters played significant snaps last year except the CBs.  They’ll be tested early and often, but they’re a talented group.  Orlando has said this is the fastest defense he’s had so I’m hoping the front 6-7 can get after the qb and help the back end out

This is the first year at Texas Orlando is playing with pieces that fit his scheme.... not taking 4-3 DL and plugging them into his version of a 3-4.  D might be better than expected.   

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

This is the first year at Texas Orlando is playing with pieces that fit his scheme.... not taking 4-3 DL and plugging them into his version of a 3-4.  D might be better than expected.   

My thoughts exactly. 

I predict 9-3 in the regular season, with losses to LSU (too much inexperience early in the season on defense, especially at CB), OU, and another in-conference loss (probably ISU). Maybe that'll be enough to make it to the Big XII title game, but that's hard to predict.

I expect Texas will go to a relatively high-ranked non-NY6 bowl and kick the snot out of someone.

Oh ye of little faith, do you remember 2005?

Similarities:

Jr QB. (Yes, I know that Vince was a RS and I’m still a girl)

Good Tight Ends

Good O-Line

Speed on Defense

We almost, I said almost, lost 2 games that we shouldn’t.

I often worried that Vince might not be able to continue after he took a hit. 

What’s the rest of the story?

1 hour ago, java said:

Oh ye of little faith, do you remember 2005?

Similarities:

Jr QB. (Yes, I know that Vince was a RS and I’m still a girl)

Good Tight Ends

Good O-Line

Speed on Defense

We almost, I said almost, lost 2 games that we shouldn’t.

I often worried that Vince might not be able to continue after he took a hit. 

What’s the rest of the story?

Good Lord girl I hope you're right. I can see the parallels after you brought them to light.