Aaron Carrara

*****SPRING GAME THREAD*****

Advertise on HornSports

A few takeaways from being at the game today:

1. The plan was to be very vanilla!  There was nothing in the offense game plan to reveal anything about this offense. 

2. The wind did impact several throws, no excuses

3. The defense is very fast. 

4. TE’s have to catch the ball

5. The freshmen stars, Bru and Jordan will be everything we want them to be.  

6. Rhafiti must learn to snap or move to guard. They were consistently slow and low.  

7.  LBs with McCullough, dele, and Ossai will be fine but need to stay healthy  

8. Overall nothing exciting other than getting to watch a little football

My thoughts . . . 

1. Ehlinger did not have a good scrimmage, IMO. INT, threw out of bounds while out of bounds (6-7 yard loss).

2. Defense came to play, but was facing a pretty generic offense.

3. I feel VERY good about Jamison and Green as our cornerbacks.

4. Overshown had a good scrimmage.

5. TEs need a ton of work.

6. I'm not so upset with Ghirmai and the snaps. He hasn't been at center very long. Very correctable and just takes a little time. I hope Hand is patient with him.

7. Bru McCoy. I'm a big fan.

8. Whittington is going to be good. Grass is green.

9. Kirk Johnson's re-debut was not so exciting. I think it was because we kept it so simple in the play calling.

10. LB play was pretty decent. I'm not as worried as I was.

13 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

My thoughts . . . 

1. Ehlinger did not have a good scrimmage, IMO. INT, threw out of bounds while out of bounds (6-7 yard loss).

2. Defense came to play, but was facing a pretty generic offense.

3. I feel VERY good about Jamison and Green as our cornerbacks.

4. Overshown had a good scrimmage.

5. TEs need a ton of work.

6. I'm not so upset with Ghirmai and the snaps. He hasn't been at center very long. Very correctable and just takes a little time. I hope Hand is patient with him.

7. Bru McCoy. I'm a big fan.

8. Whittington is going to be good. Grass is green.

9. Kirk Johnson's re-debut was not so exciting. I think it was because we kept it so simple in the play calling.

10. LB play was pretty decent. I'm not as worried as I was.

Concur on all points.  I would add that I was encouraged by both the DL activity and the OL pass blocking.  OL run blocking got better as the game went on.

3 minutes ago, OrangeLarry said:

My #1 Assessment..... Listening to Lowell Galindo and Ahmad Brook’s incessant bullshit babble was pure torture.  Worse than Chinese Water Torture.

What if Ahmad and Lowell were administering the Chinese water torture?:D

On 4/13/2019 at 9:09 PM, Bear19 said:

My take away is no serious injuries. At least none I saw. That’s all that really mattered.

Did we ever get an update on Kirk Johnson's wrist?  That's the only injury I recall...

On 4/13/2019 at 10:15 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

My thoughts . . . 

I might get crucified for this, but I thought Ehlinger was either a little flippant about how he played or didn't seem to take the game seriously. That's just my impression of his body language and his reaction to not playing well.

5 hours ago, Baron said:

I might get crucified for this, but I thought Ehlinger was either a little flippant about how he played or didn't seem to take the game seriously. That's just my impression of his body language and his reaction to not playing well.

It definitely wasn't a good night for him. I don't know where his head was at though.

15 hours ago, Baron said:

I don't know about his body language, but I don't blame him for a bad scrimmage with a 30 mph wind. Sam is the one player I'm not concerned about going into the season.

In a segment on Longhorn Network during the game, head coach Tom Herman admitted that the defenses were loading the box and daring the offenses to throw the ball over the top, saying afterwards that it was “almost impossible” to throw the football.

“It was even difficult to throw and catch a bubble [screen], let alone a ball thrown down the field,” Herman said.

As usual, the offense was pretty vanilla, too, with Herman mentioning that there are a variety of run-pass options that the Longhorns installed this spring, but didn’t want to put on film for opponents to scout.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/4/13/18309737/texas-longhorns-orange-white-game-12-6-defense-casey-thompson