Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

*****BIG 12 TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINALS- TEXAS vs. KANSAS GAME THREAD*****

USATSI_12076795_168380999_lowres.jpg

What: Big 12 Basketball Tournament Quarterfinals
Who:  Texas (16-15, 8-10 Big 12) vs. #17 Kansas (23-8, 12-6 Big 12)
When: Thursday, March 14, 2019
Time:  8:30 PM CST
Venue: Spring Center
Television: ESPN or ESPN2
The Line:  Kansas -2.5

The six-seed Texas Longhorns open up Big 12 Tournament play against the third seed Kansas Jayhawks on Thursday evening at the Sprint Center in Kansas City Missouri.  The Longhorns, currently holding a 16-15 overall record, will face a Kansas team that sits third in the Big 12 standings and boasts a 23-8 overall record.  Both teams have struggled down the stretch to end the season, with Texas dropping four of its last five contests, and Kansas finishing 3-2 over their last five games.

The Longhorns have made an NCAA Tournament appearance 18 times over the last 20 years, but are just 1-7 against the Jayhawks under Shaka Smart .  Texas split with Kansas in the regular season this year, with each team winning on its home court.

Projected Starters – TEXAS

Position Player Height Year PPG
F Dylan Osetkowski 6-9 Sr. 10.2
F Jaxson Hayes 6-11 Fr. 10.3
G Matt Coleman 6-2 So. 10.2
G Courtney Ramey 6-3 Fr. 8.0
G Jase Febres 6-5 Fr. 8.7

Projected Starters – KANSAS

Position Player Height Year PPG
F David McCormack 6-10 Fr. 3.3
F Dedric Lawson 6-9 Jr. 19.1
G Ochai Agbaji 6-5 Fr. 9.2
G Devon Dotson 6-2 Fr. 11.7
G Quentin Grimes 6-5 Fr. 7.8

A win in the quarterfinals keeps the Longhorns in the mix for an NCAA Tournament invitation, while a loss almost certainly excludes them from the conversation on Selection Sunday.

Big 12 Tournament Bracket

19b12bbtourngrap.jpg

Advertise on HornSports

I like the way the team is playing, but why is a foul called on Hayes when the KU player hits Jaxon’s head for goodness sake?  His dad was a football player, not Jaxon. 

A foul on Coleman?  Are the announcers out of their minds?  They are awful!

Sloppy play and half ass passing had plagued this team for a few seasons.  No discipline with these guys.  I still see guards aimlessly dribbling too long and then having to force a play....which has been a bad play  this entire second half so far.  Not sure why I decided to tune in tonight after boycotting for the last 1+ month.  Hayes has been schooled so far, needs more seasoning to fine tune his game before jumping to the NBA.

What didn’t they call a foul on that big mutt in the middle for KU who just pawed our guy who was driving the lane?

Those officials let KU mug guys. Why?  KU has a lot of mature talent. I get it, but I also thought they committed many more fouls than were called. 

Oh, well. I don’t know that much about basketball anyway. Hope Jaxson is ok.