Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Seahorn

4-Star ATH Mookie Cooper Commits To Texas

The Texas coaching staff has done a good job of cultivating and developing relationships with recruits outside of the state of Texas and those efforts really came to fruition in the 2019 recruiting cycle. The staff plucked several blue-chip prospects from across the country, as they continued to expand their recruiting footprint into fertile recruiting grounds outside the borders of the Lone Star State.

One of the areas that we have seen the staff become more active in is the state of Missouri and particularly the St. Louis metro area. The staff landed Daniel Carson (Independence, MO) and Ayodele Adeoye (St. Louis) in 2018 before circling back and landing Marcus Washington (St. Louis) in 2019. With Washington on board the staff put themselves in a very strong position to make it three straight years of landing a stud from the Show Me State and that’s exactly what they did by dipping back into the Trinity Catholic pipeline to land Mookie Cooper.

Cooper’s affinity for Texas has been well known for a while, and he had even gone as far to say that him and Washington would be playing together at the collegiate level. That statement looks like it is closer to becoming a reality, as he has officially given his pledge to the Longhorns.

Film Analysis

Player Information

Name: Teriyon “Mookie” Cooper

Position: RB, WR

High School: Trinity Catholic High School

City & State: St. Louis, MO

Measurables

Height: 5’9

Weight:  178

40-yard time: N/A

Shuttle: N/A

Statistics

2018: N/A 

2019: N/A

Film

https://www.hudl.com/profile/9480015/Teriyon-Cooper

Pros:

• Despite not being a big guy (5’9,178) he possesses good competitive toughness and isn’t afraid to mix it up whether it be as a blocker, as a defensive back, or going up for a ball as a receiver. He’s feisty and doesn’t back down.
  •   Will be a versatile chess piece on the offensive side of the ball if utilized properly. Can line up at running back, be split out at receiver, and be motioned all over the formation.
  • Dynamic with the ball in his hands in several ways that includes returning the ball on special teams.
  • Possesses good wiggle and is very elusive in the open field. He’s going to make his fair share of defenders miss in space.
  • Possesses very good acceleration and good stop and start ability. Doesn’t have to throttle down much in his cuts.
  • You better get your hands on him early in his route because he chews up ground in a hurry and can create separation from defenders.
  •  Does a good job of tracking the ball in the air and making adjustments.
  •  Even though he is on the smaller side, you see him consistently break arm tackles as a ball carrier.
  •  Has solid hands but does tend to body catch at times.

Cons:

• Possesses dynamic ability but doesn’t have a clean projection position wise at this point.
  • Needs to land in a situation that has a creative offensive coordinator that will be able to scheme him into the offense and manufacture touches for him so that his skillset is full utilized.
  • Needs to improve as a hands catcher.
  • Needs to become a more sophisticated route runner.
  • Have questions about how he will hold up against bigger, more physical corners at the next level.

Summary

Teriyon Cooper aka “Mookie” is a multi-year varsity starter at wide receiver and running back for Trinity Catholic High School in St. Louis, MO. Cooper is a utility player that probably falls under the offensive weapon moniker, as he splits time between the two positions and is constantly moved around the formation, as they try to find mismatches to exploit. Cooper has logged snaps at cornerback on the defensive side of the ball and returns both kicks and punts on special teams. Cooper is listed at 5’9, 178 pounds, but doesn’t appear to have too slight of a frame that makes me think his size will be an issue. On tape, Cooper consistently punches above his weight class and shows good competitive and physical toughness as a ball carrier, receiver, blocker, and defender. Cooper may be vertically challenged, but don’t get it twisted because the young man is feisty and likes to compete. Speed, quickness, and elusiveness are all calling cards for Cooper and that is evident without having to watch too much tape on him. He’s an absolute headache to corral when he has the ball in space and his ability to accelerate and stop and start making him a tough out in the open field. When he splits out as a receiver, he is able to gain separation with ease from defenders. He is the kind of player you will want to get your hands on early in his route to try to slow him down at the LOS. At this point in his development, Cooper doesn’t have a ton of variety in his route running tree, but with his ability he hasn’t really needed to because he run past just about anyone who tries to cover him. On top of that, one thing I also noted is that while he does possess solid hands, he does tend to body catch a bit, which is something he will have to iron out moving forward. As a ball carrier, Cooper shows the ability to get to the edge of defenses with ease regularly and shows that he isn’t timid when asked to hit up between the tackles from time to time. One thing I noticed is that he consistently runs through arm tackles, so dismiss the notion that he’s a little guy will go down at the first bit of contact he gets. I don’t know what exactly to peg Cooper as at this point, but he seems to be in the Tyreek Hill mold, in which he’s able to stretch a defense vertically and horizontally and can hurt you in multiple phases of the game. If he gets paired up with a creative offensive mind at the next level that can get him involved in different ways, then he has a chance to be a dynamic playmaker.

Final Verdict

While the Texas offense certainly took a big step forward in the right direction 2018, it still lacked explosive plays and that is the kind of plays a guy like Cooper can bring to the table in the future. Landing Cooper is a huge win for the Longhorns both as a momentum generator regionally and as a generator nationally as they continue to expand their recruiting footprint into the St. Louis metro area. Cooper had offers from heavy hitters from all over the country, but he was smitten with the idea of playing his collegiate ball in Austin, and when his teammate Marcus Washington decided to head to the 512 as well it made the decision even easier.

After landing guys like Bru McCoy, Jordan Whittington, and Jake Smith in 2019, I was curious to see what the Texas staff would do for an encore, and they are already off to a great start by taking Cooper off the board early in the cycle. With back to back top three recruiting classes already secured, the Texas staff could be on their way to making a strong bid for another one if they can continue to add more studs like Cooper into the mix down in Austin.

Advertise on HornSports

I could not be happier, this dude is amazing. He is Ramonce level good, sorry GREAT! 

There is not a nickel DB in the big 12 that can cover him. I fully trust Herman/O coaches to utilize his strengths. He is a slot WR imo that could carry the ball from backfield few times per game but his value is all over: underneath routes, jet sweeps, reverses, WR  screens, he can run down the field also. Great after the catch. Like Daniel said, fiesty. To me he is l, dare I say, Waddle good. This is an A+ get for us. With Jake, Bru, Whittington and now Cooper, I am done with slot WR for 2020 class. Other WRs should be X and Z. 

Damn I am pumped!!! 

2 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

For what it is worth, I was told awhile back Cooper was a silent, but a long time has passed since then. Now he’s officially in the boat. Great get for Texas. 

So does this mean that Carrington's Shhhhh yesterday is another player?

25 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Sounds a little like the awesome player we lost to Purdue last season..are they similar/comparable?  I could be dreaming here...

Hard to argue with the success R Moore had in year 1 at Purdue but coming out of Hs if I could only choose 1 of the 2, it’s M Cooper. I think he is elite. 

Commitment analysis: Rivals100 ATH Mookie Cooper to Texas

h Helmholdt • Rivals

The Texas Longhorns are hosting a big junior day in Austin this weekend, and it just resulted in a major pick-up of Rivals100 athlete 

from St. Louis. Cooper, who hails from the same Trinity Catholic program that saw class of 2019 four-star wide receiver   sign with the Longhorns, announced his commitment Saturday afternoon.
tth.png
tpwog7i35zu4iuabkg6p

-

NATIONAL
STATE
POSITION

RANK
5'10" | 182 LBS | ATH
TRINITY CATHOLIC
ST. LOUIS, MO
CLASS OF 2020
tth.png
VERBAL COMMIT
2/16/2019
TEXAS

HOW IT WENT DOWN

A Rivals100 prospect since the very first ranking of the 2019 class, Cooper is a dynamic athlete prospect who could project to several skill positions on offense, or even in the defensive backfield. At Trinity Catholic this past season he had to share touches with the likes of fellow four-stars 

, Washington and   in the Titan’s offense, Cooper still managed to rack up 1,153 yards of total offense and score 18 times as a junior. Two of those touchdowns came via punt return, where Cooper averaged 29.1 yards per return on the season.

Cooper had a stand out performance at the Under Armour Future 50 camp earlier this winter, where his speed and versatility were on display. The four-star athlete prospect worked out with the wide receivers during position drills, but took reps at both running back and in the slot during one-on-ones. From a skill set standpoint, Cooper is not dissimilar to class of 2019 four-star athlete 

, who signed with Nebraska in December.

The recruitment of Cooper started the winter of his freshman year with an offer from Illinois, which was followed by offers from 28 more schools representing each of the Power Five Conferences. Texas was one of the first five offers for Cooper, coming through early in his sophomore season. That relationship grew with a visit to Austin last June, which was then followed by a game visit in September to see the Longhorns host USC. His teammate, Washington, was on an official visit with Texas that Sept. 14 weekend and would commit to head coach Tom Herman six weeks later.

Cooper released a top 10 on Christmas Eve and took unofficial visits to Georgia, Missouri and Nebraska in the last month. On Feb. 4 he tweeted that his recruitment was still completely open, but this weekend’s junior day visit cinched the deal for the Longhorns and Cooper made the commitment official Saturday.

WHY IT’S BIG FOR TEXAS

Trinity Catholic is developing into a consistent producer of top talent. Cooper is one of four four-star prospects the school has in the classes of 2019 and 2020 combined, and Texas has now landed two of them. The Lone Star State is always going to be Texas’ primary talent pool from which it builds its roster from, but being able to have pipelines in other areas of the country that can complement and bolster your primary recruiting region will help the Longhorns continue their current streak of top five recruiting classes. Texas has not offered any other prospects at Trinity Catholic yet, but the school has three more in the 2020 class who hold Power Five offers, including four-star running back Reggie Love.

Texas has talked with Cooper about their h-receiver position, which would incorporate elements of running back and slot receiver. That kind of role would allow Cooper to get the ball in space and utilize his explosiveness and game-breaking ability. Additionally, the four-star athlete should be able to contribute early in the return game for the Longhorns.

WHICH SCHOOLS IT HURTS MOST

Illinois did a lot right in this recruitment. Lovie Smith’s staff was the first in with an offer for Cooper when he was just a freshman. A year later Smith hired Trinity Catholic head coach Cory Patterson to be his tight ends coach in Champaign. Class of 2019 prospects Isaiah Williams and 

both signed with the Fighting Illini this winter, giving Cooper more familiar faces in Champaign. There probably was not a school Cooper has visited more often in this process than Illinois, but the Illini were still not able to land the four-star junior. The other school feeling a particularly strong sting here is Missouri, where head coach Barry Odom has done a much better job in recent classes of keeping more Show-Me-State talent at home. Both Missouri and Illinois made Cooper’s initial cut down to ten schools in December, but both have to watch him go down south to a Texas program that is establishing a stronger foothold in the St. Louis area.

https://n.rivals.com/news/commitment-analysis-rivals100-ath-mookie-cooper-to-texas