Sign in to follow this  
primal defense

How Baylor Happened

Advertise on HornSports

That article was a long read, but it only served to confirm what I already have concluded ...that Baylor as an institution is anything but Christian. 

The fruits of their actions are shriveled, moldy, rotten specimens and BU should be shunned at every opportunity.

The Big 12 should cut ties with those hypocritical, slimy charlatans.

F Bailer 

crffhojnzmmpo0ij3tus.jpg Photo: Michael Reaves (Getty)

Southern Miss head football coach Jay Hopson firmly disagreed with his university’s decision this week not to hire disgraced former Baylor coach Art Briles, saying that Briles “deserves a second chance” and noting that he “committed no crime.” Thursday The Athletic’s Nicole Auerbachreported a depressingly unsurprising trend in Hopson’s history as a college head coach: the courtship of Briles isn’t the first time Hopson has treated the consequences of sexual misconduct as a kind of market inefficiency for recruiting.

When Hopson was head coach at Alcorn State, prior to being hired at Southern Miss, he reportedly recruited a registered sex offender who’d been convicted of abusive sexual contact by a martial panel at Air Force Academy, after he was accused of raping a woman in his dorm room. Hopson also recruited a former Vanderbilt player who’d been accused and was eventually convicted of facilitating the rape of an unconscious student in a dorm room. The most recent of these involves a player Hopson recruited to Southern Miss just last month, mere weeks before his courtship of Briles fell apart:

Last month, according to two people with direct knowledge of the matter, Hopson and his staff tried to add junior college transfer Charles West, who had previously been accused of raping two women at knifepoint at his home in separate incidents in 2015.

West, a National Junior College Athletic Association All-American last season, pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, after his accusers reportedly declined to testify in a trial. Auerbach reports that West withheld this information from his superiors during recruiting, and that it was only when a member of the athletic department happened to read about West in a Dallas Morning News storythat he was denied admission, despite having already signed a letter of intent. Briles therefore represents at least the third time that Hopson’s superiors have had to step in and counteract his decision to feed from this particularly scummy trough—the Vanderbilt player was dismissed from the Alcorn State team after just one game, with the school’s president describing the decision to recruit him in the first place as “an error in judgment.”

Auerbach’s full report is here, and includes more details about these cases, and is very much worth your attention.

https://deadspin.com/report-southern-miss-coach-who-wanted-to-hire-art-bril-1832448237

Just to play devil's advocate, (yeah, I'm a pain in the ass) why did Baylor give Briles a multi-million dollar buy-out if  he's guilty of covering up rapes on campus? While thorough, Deadspin appears to be pushing a damning narrative. I do understand that hiring Briles for any collegiate job is a PR nightmare and certainly isn't worth the risk for most institutions.

Please chime in, legal experts. My wife went to BU, so I just want to understand the nuances of this case better. After all, Ian McCaw - Briles' "accomplice" - got another AD job.

3 hours ago, primal defense said:

Maybe????:o

BU settled for millions of dollars to make Briles go away. If the evidence submitted (ie Briles actively covered up rapes on campus) was ironclad, they could've fired him for cause with no remuneration. Why didn't they just shit-can him and tell him to get lost?

The Pirate, Mike Leach, was fired by Tech for a much lesser crime and he's still trying to get paid. Just saying something doesn't add up.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:29 AM, primal defense said:

Good article. Baylor should have been kicked out of the Big 12.

How Baylor Happened

https://deadspin.com/how-baylor-happened-1828372303

That's probably the most complete and thorough take on the Baylor fiasco that I've ever read.

There was a time, and some on the UT BOR still feel this way, that Texas wanted Baylor out. Threats were made. We were seriously looking at going independent for a few years. BOR did not want to be associated with Baylor or a conference they felt would soon carry Baylor's reputation.

Yesterday, I pointed out an ESPN writer saying the Big 12 doesn't play defense. It was right under a photo of OU's defense. So while Texas plays lights out defense, we get the brand of no defense because of OU. OU sucks.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

That's probably the most complete and thorough take on the Baylor fiasco that I've ever read.

There was a time, and some on the UT BOR still feel this way, that Texas wanted Baylor out. Threats were made. We were seriously looking at going independent for a few years. BOR did not want to be associated with Baylor or a conference they felt would soon carry Baylor's reputation.

Yesterday, I pointed out an ESPN writer saying the Big 12 doesn't play defense. It was right under a photo of OU's defense. So while Texas plays lights out defense, we get the brand of no defense because of OU. OU sucks.

I disagree with your characterization that we had a lights out defense. We were 57th in scoring defense which I don't consider lights out. Now compared to OU we were lights out. OU was rated 101 in scoring defense. 

UT was rated 29th in scoring defense for 2017 and that's the level we need to move forward especially since OU has a new DC.

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

I disagree with your characterization that we had a lights out defense. We were 57th in scoring defense which I don't consider lights out. Now compared to OU we were lights out. OU was rated 101 in scoring defense. 

UT was rated 29th in scoring defense for 2017 and that's the level we need to move forward especially since OU has a new DC.

We held up well, considering what we lost and the injuries we had.

4 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

We held up well, considering what we lost and the injuries we had.

We were still mediocre. If was frustrating all year long for the other team to take the opening drive for a TD and the defense almost blew the first OU game. 

The defense was worse last year than Orlando's first year yet we won more games. It shows how important the quarterback is to wins.

...and while we're talking about "kicking BU out of the Big 12" for Briles' alleged transgressions, why didn't the Big 8 kick OU out back in '89? Switzer's last years on campus were troubling, to say the least; drug-dealing, gun-running, prostitution in dorm rooms, etc. NCAA should've thrown the book at them, but didn't. 

https://www.si.com/vault/1989/02/27/119470/you-reap-what-you-sow-oklahoma-has-paid-the-price-for-the-anything-goes-attitude-that-coach-barry-switzer-has-allowed-to-take-root

CHARLES THOMPSON OKLAHOMA BARRY SWITZER 1989 SPORTS ...

4 minutes ago, primal defense said:

That's a silly question.

Indeed it is if money is the basis for our decision-making. 

That's probably the reason BU is still around. Money changing hands behind-the-scenes. Fans can dislike BU, but they wield clout politically and otherwise.

It'd be hypocritical for UT to fraternize with OU while kicking BU to the curb.

41 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

. Fans can dislike BU, but they wield clout politically and otherwise.

Bingo!

Texas politicians ban[edit]

After the SEC announced their intent to leave the CFA, the Big 8 and SWC members re-opened discussions to sell their rights together. "The Baylor Project" by Barry G. Hankins and Donald D. Schmeltekoff (page 68) states that on February 11, 1994, SWC member schools' leaders met a few Big 8 leaders in Dallas to discuss potentially selling both leagues' media content in a package deal. Discussions broke down on February 16, reportedly over UT's interest in the Pac-10. The Big Eight began negotiating a deal that would not include the full SWC as a partner and Texas A&M approached the SEC.[18]

In Texas, word leaked out that UT & Texas A&M were close to leaving the SWC; UT to the Pac-10[18] or Big Eight and eventually Texas A&M to the SEC. Texas state senator David Sibley, a Baylor alumnus and member of the very powerful Senate Finance Committee, approached UT Chancellor Bill Cunningham and asked him pointedly whether UT planned to leave the SWC on its own for the Big Eight. Cunningham tried to change the subject. Ultimately he did not deny it.[9]

Sibley approached LT Governor Bob Bullock, a Texas Tech and Baylor alumnus. Texas state senator John Montford of Lubbock was equally motivated to protect Texas Tech's path to the Big 12. The trio put together a group of legislators who worked to threaten Texas and Texas A&M's access to the state of Texas's Permanent University Fund.[9]

Bullock called together a meeting of supportive legislators as well as UT's and Texas A&M's leaders on February 20, 1994.[19] UT Chancellor William Cunningham admitted that Texas planned to join the Big Eight[9] and A&M's leadership still targeted the SEC.[9]

A deal was worked out where all four schools would go together to the Big 12. A&M was convinced not to pursue SEC membership (LSU was prepared to sponsor the Aggies) in return for Bullock finding the votes to approve the construction of Reed Arena. Baylor and Texas Tech would join the Aggies in coming with UT into the new version of the Big Eight.[9]

Texas's Governor Ann Richards, a Baylor and UT alumna, is often credited with getting Baylor included, but, was absent from the February 20 meeting[9] and no investigative reports confirm her active involvement. The Baylor Report claimed that she presented herself as neutral. Richards' former Chief of Staff, John Fainter, is on record saying "She just was not involved to any great degree in working that out...I'd have to say she was informed, but she wasn't pounding the table or anything like that." Richards was aware of the public perception of her involvement and the thought amused her.[20])

UT officials informed the Big Eight leadership that the Austin school was now receptive to an invitation and the Big Eight issued invitations to Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, and Texas Tech. All four schools quickly accepted.[18]

At the time of the deal, Texas politicians denied any coercion took place. Over the years, investigative reporters challenged that notion. The idea that Bullock and the state government coerced A&M to join and forced UT to take Tech and Baylor to the Big 12 has constantly been downplayed by Cunningham,[20] but former UT president Robert Berdahl claimed that UT was threatened. “As I recall, it wasn't a very veiled threat to cut budgets if Tech was left behind.”[9]

Baylor President Herb Reynolds thanked Bullock and the other politicians for helping Baylor get into the conference. Despite Baylor's strong credentials, clearly Reynolds felt the politicians played a key role in getting the Bears and Texas Tech into the new conference.[21] The minutes of the February 23, 1994 meeting of the Baylor Board of Regents where the Big 12's invitation was accepted state, "Baylor University owes a strong debt of gratitude to Lt. Governor Bob Bullock, Senator David Sibley, Senator John Montford, Representative Rob Junell, and other legislators for their invaluable assistance during the deliberations leading to the acceptance of the invitations."[22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Big_12_Conference

16 hours ago, primal defense said:

We were still mediocre. If was frustrating all year long for the other team to take the opening drive for a TD and the defense almost blew the first OU game. 

The defense was worse last year than Orlando's first year yet we won more games. It shows how important the quarterback is to wins.

The following are the points we allowed, by game. As you will see, it is HARDLY mediocre in this day and age and in this conference. By contrast, LSU and aggy, both in the vaunted SEC and considered to have good defenses, both gave up 70+ in one game. It was the defense that made it possible to beat OU and their Heisman QB and collection of sprinters on the outside. 

45 (OU)

Here's Bama:

4 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

...and while we're talking about "kicking BU out of the Big 12" for Briles' alleged transgressions, why didn't the Big 8 kick OU out back in '89? Switzer's last years on campus were troubling, to say the least; drug-dealing, gun-running, prostitution in dorm rooms, etc. NCAA should've thrown the book at them, but didn't. 

https://www.si.com/vault/1989/02/27/119470/you-reap-what-you-sow-oklahoma-has-paid-the-price-for-the-anything-goes-attitude-that-coach-barry-switzer-has-allowed-to-take-root

CHARLES THOMPSON OKLAHOMA BARRY SWITZER 1989 SPORTS ...

Would ANYONE on this board be able to speak for the Big 8 BOR from 30 years ago? Yet, no answer is going to imply you're right?

Kicking BU out the conference was NEVER because of Art Briles. It was the rape culture, the fact that women were suffering without consequence – it was the entire university from top to bottom. All of this happens during the "Me-too" movement in a highly political environment.

ESPN exists today while it didn't in 1977 or whatever.

17 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Would ANYONE on this board be able to speak for the Big 8 BOR from 30 years ago? Yet, no answer is going to imply you're right?

Kicking BU out the conference was NEVER because of Art Briles. It was the rape culture, the fact that women were suffering without consequence – it was the entire university from top to bottom. All of this happens during the "Me-too" movement in a highly political environment.

ESPN exists today while it didn't in 1977 or whatever.

I am right about the hypocrisy of continuing to fraternize with OU and their thug culture.

Money talks, BS walks. BU ain't going anywhere.

19 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

The following are the points we allowed, by game. As you will see, it is HARDLY mediocre in this day and age and in this conference. By contrast, LSU and aggy, both in the vaunted SEC and considered to have good defenses, both gave up 70+ in one game. It was the defense that made it possible to beat OU and their Heisman QB and collection of sprinters on the outside. 

45 (OU)

Here's Bama:

UT defense was 67th in total defense, 55th in sacks, 79th in passing efficiency which all reflect that it was a middle of the road defense last year. I believe those stats are going to be inflated because of the Big 12 offenses. 

In order to compete for a NC which is the goal that we need to improve. Clemson was 5th in total defense last year and Alabama was 16th.

3 hours ago, primal defense said:

UT defense was 67th in total defense, 55th in sacks, 79th in passing efficiency which all reflect that it was a middle of the road defense last year. I believe those stats are going to be inflated because of the Big 12 offenses. 

In order to compete for a NC which is the goal that we need to improve. Clemson was 5th in total defense last year and Alabama was 16th.

Just noticing how you've now gone from "mediocre" in previous posts to now they were "middle of the road." I suppose if I post once or twice more, we'll end in agreement. lol

OU has competed for national championships with defenses that were so bad, you refuse to list them in your point. lol