Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Harrison Wier

Texas falls short in Ames, 65-60 (Austin Stevens)

Recommended Posts

BY AUSTIN STEVENS


Just when we thought Texas was going to get hot again as they did in their first five games, Iowa State and the crowd in Ames had other plans.

The game began with Iowa State jumping out to a lead, although ESPN2 somehow found the end of the Sooners game to be worthwhile in taking away the first 4 minutes of the game. From that point on, Texas was playing catch up. Texas tended to use almost all of the shot clock early in the game, which was contributed to their early deficit. The Longhorns went down by as many as 13 points (22-9) with 8:50 left in the first half. Partly to blame was the reliance on the three point shot. In the first half, Osetkowski alone attempted two mediocre looks from behind the arc, contributing to his 1 three-pointer made to 21 three-pointers attempted. For a big like Osetkowski, getting penetration in the paint should be the primary goal.

As the game continued, Texas tried to utilize a 2-3 zone more efficiently, and it puzzled Iowa State for a while. On offense, Texas had a more fast-paced approach, enabling a better field goal percentage in the process. Kerwin Roach helped to gain momentum for the Longhorns through good shot selection and great vision, with a crucial assist for an and-one to get the game within one at 28-27. Although the half ended 31-27 in favor of the Cyclones, Texas had the momentum, but it was primarily fueled by the lack of success for the key players of Iowa State. Marial Shayok had 4 points in the first half, which is not typical for the senior from Ottowa. Michael Jacobson played a huge roll in the first half for Iowa State with 9 points. For Texas, the first half was equally led by Dylan Osetkowski with 7, Kerwin Roach with 7, and Matt Coleman III with 6.

In the second half, the Texas defense kept the 2-3 zone intact. This had some success, but the efforts on defense were at times lackluster at the beginning of the second half. Texas allowed multiple offensive rebounds in single possessions for Iowa State, which killed the time of possession at certain points in the game. There were also sloppy fouls committed by the Longhorns, as Iowa State changed their game plan in favor of picking up the tempo. This speed in tempo allowed for Horton-Tucker of Iowa State to get hot, as he ended with 15 points, a team-high for the Cyclones. Texas did have a hot streak of their own, as they figured out the defensive miscues, and they got their first lead of the game, capitalized by a three-pointer from Coleman to make it 46-45, Texas.

They extended their lead to 3, which only lasted for 1:50. Iowa State responded to this shift by going on a 9-point run. Texas brought it back within 1 at 59-58 to cap a 7-0 run with 1:39 left, but they could not hold Iowa State back. Following a bank shot by Weiler-Babb, Marial Shayok made a clutch deep-jumper to make it 63-58 with 25 seconds left. The final score ended at 65-60.

This was a decent showing for Texas, but they wasted a lot of opportunities. Shayok missed multiple scoring/creation chances, from going 3 for 14 in the field to only having one assist. Lindell Wigginton struggled as well, committing 4 turnovers and scoring just 5 points. The Longhorns did not help themselves with 13 turnovers, and only converted 26.1% of their three-pointers to 38.1% for Iowa State. Among other things, Texas needs to improve on maintaining a fast tempo, minimizing pointless turnovers and not relying on the three-point shot.

Texas hosts Baylor (tied atop the Big 12) on Wednesday at the Frank Erwin Center at 7:00 PM.

txisu2219stat.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertise on HornSports

“Dance with the one who brung you”. We are now in year 4 of Smart’s tenure and he has yet to play the style of basketball that landed him this job. Osetkowski needs to take a seat and we must pick up the pace with defensive pressure (havoc). A 2-3 zone and half court motion offense with our streaky shooters is a recipe for disaster. Our only personnel advantage is athleticism and we never attempt to capitalize on it. I predict the Smart era is coming to a close and he did it to himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

“Dance with the one who brung you”. We are now in year 4 of Smart’s tenure and he has yet to play the style of basketball that landed him this job. Osetkowski needs to take a seat and we must pick up the pace with defensive pressure (havoc). A 2-3 zone and half court motion offense with our streaky shooters is a recipe for disaster. Our only personnel advantage is athleticism and we never attempt to capitalize on it. I predict the Smart era is coming to a close and he did it to himself. 

Good points... why do you think it is that he’s changed his style?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally I thought he needed to recruit guys for his system but now after 3 cycles I don’t know. I feel the guys he’s recruited are tailored made for it, long and athletic with mobile bigs. 

Its really frustrating to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

Originally I thought he needed to recruit guys for his system but now after 3 cycles I don’t know. I feel the guys he’s recruited are tailored made for it, long and athletic with mobile bigs. 

Its really frustrating to watch. 

That’s why I stopped watching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

I think asking why Shaka does what Shaka does has become a rhetorical question.  He needs to go. 

Of course that’s easy for me to say when I can only contribute $12 toward the $12 million.

That $12 would increase if you sacrificed some of that fancy Dos XX you drink, but then again, what would it say about me if I started asking fine folks to give up their Dos XX? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Good points... why do you think it is that he’s changed his style?

One of the alleged reasons was Shaka thought that he would have problems recruiting the top-tier recruits because they would not want to play that style of basketball. Not sure if there was any truth to that though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

One of the alleged reasons was Shaka thought that he would have problems recruiting the top-tier recruits because they would not want to play that style of basketball. Not sure if there was any truth to that though.

I guess he could have had that fear but I wouldn’t think it is valid. The NBA is going positionless basketball with more tempo the only top tier players that might not want want to play his old style would be traditional centers. Of course we seem to get some pretty good bigs so maybe that’s what he’s selling. 

I think professional basketball has the least amount of skill specific emphasis of all the sports. Not saying the players aren’t skilled but a raw, big and athletic kid will get drafted higher than a great shooter or passer. Case in point is Ben Simmons. He’s considered a top tier point guard and he has yet to make a 3 in the NBA. That’s almost two years. He is big and athletic though. 

Get a group of 6’8 athletic kids running that HAVOC system and you could win a bunch of games and send a bunch to the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

One of the alleged reasons was Shaka thought that he would have problems recruiting the top-tier recruits because they would not want to play that style of basketball. Not sure if there was any truth to that though.

If it is the truth and it could be, I would think that means you shouldn't recruit them.  Looks like Rick Barnes figured that out in Tennessee.  Or maybe he didn't have to figure it out at Tennessee Rick just started recruiting who he could get to Tennessee.  Whoever we get next time, should either be able to recruit and coach 5 stars or he should recruit guys who will play his style.  Don't change your style.  If Shaka would have gone with "havoc" we would be know how good he is as a coach now (one way or the other).  I can see Shaka becoming a winning coach again at a school where he is forced to recruit kids to his style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longhorn_mig said:

One of the alleged reasons was Shaka thought that he would have problems recruiting the top-tier recruits because they would not want to play that style of basketball. Not sure if there was any truth to that though.

One thing he has done well is recruit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Wayne said:

If it is the truth and it could be, I would think that means you shouldn't recruit them.  Looks like Rick Barnes figured that out in Tennessee.  Or maybe he didn't have to figure it out at Tennessee Rick just started recruiting who he could get to Tennessee.  Whoever we get next time, should either be able to recruit and coach 5 stars or he should recruit guys who will play his style.  Don't change your style.  If Shaka would have gone with "havoc" we would be know how good he is as a coach now (one way or the other).  I can see Shaka becoming a winning coach again at a school where he is forced to recruit kids to his style. 

I agree 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


Franchise Quest


  • Latest Posts

×