Sign in to follow this  
Sirhornsalot

Baseball 2019 Q&A

I thought it might be good to post a thread so the board can learn about and prepare itself for the Texas 2019 season. For example, I'm not real clear who we lost and who we've gained since last season.

Any of the our resident Baseball gurus are asked to answer mine and any other questions posed from the members. And we thank you in advance.

1. How will this team compare to last year's team. I realize you can only talk potential about this year's team, so thats understood here.

2. Who will be our ace this year? Who will be the closer? How do we rate on those two and the staff in general compared to years past?

3. Who's the big bats?

4. Given Pearce's recruiting successes, do you see more talent in this team than before? Are we building up there?

5. Who will be the surprise player this year? The player who has more success than most predict?

Advertise on HornSports

Just quickly 

1. Going to be hard to replace the kid that hit in the 3 hole and played second base, not just production wise but also in then clubhouse. Hamilton and his scooter isn’t going to help matters much but it will be a group effort.  

2. Henley will have a chance to be the Friday night guy. I would like to see Cam Fields close personally, that young man had some electric stuff and throws Fn hard and heavy. 

4. Talent is there it’s just young going to have to mature. Going to be some growing pains especially in early March that’s the best schedule in the country. 

On 1/31/2019 at 5:47 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

I thought it might be good to post a thread so the board can learn about and prepare itself for the Texas 2019 season. For example, I'm not real clear who we lost and who we've gained since last season.

Any of the our resident Baseball gurus are asked to answer mine and any other questions posed from the members. And we thank you in advance.

1. How will this team compare to last year's team. I realize you can only talk potential about this year's team, so thats understood here.

2. Who will be our ace this year? Who will be the closer? How do we rate on those two and the staff in general compared to years past?

3. Who's the big bats?

4. Given Pearce's recruiting successes, do you see more talent in this team than before? Are we building up there?

5. Who will be the surprise player this year? The player who has more success than most predict?

1. This team is going to feature a lot of youth. Arms for days in the pen. Some will play in the field. The non-conference schedule is absolutely the strongest in the country. That will pay dividends in conference play and in tournament play. It has the potential to be ugly at times with all of the youth. Be prepared. This team could get back to Omaha, but it will take a lot of growing up on the fly to do it. 

2. As mentioned, Henley should be the ace of the staff as the season opens. Pierce is going to use a LOT of arms this year. Expect short outings and a quick hook if the performance isn’t there. The only way these young guys get better is trial by fire. As for the closer, I think it’s going to be Kam Fields early on. It will be his to lose. This is not the proven pitching staff that has graced the 40 in years past.  There will be some bumps in the road early on.

3. Bats. Well, Reynolds is going back to switch hitting and he’s been spending a lot of time in the weight room while he recovered from his off-season surgery. Zubia has the power, but needs to act like the big bad dude that he is. Look for DJ Petrinsky to have a very solid year from the plate as well as Austin Todd. Duke Ellis really came I to his own last season and I expect that trend to continue.

4. Raw talent, yes. Absolutely there is more this year than we have had in a while. Pierce is the right guy for UT Baseball. Period. He is building a monster. When it finally appears is anyone’s guess, but I’d wager a lot that it’s sooner rather than later. 

5. McCann, Bertelson and Shaw are my picks for surprise producers. Not unknowns by any stretch, but they have the potential to quietly have very solid years. Also keep an eye on Lance Ford and Bryce Reagan, two freshmen that are getting a lot of early mentions. 

43 minutes ago, joeywa said:

1. This team is going to feature a lot of youth. Arms for days in the pen. Some will play in the field. The non-conference schedule is absolutely the strongest in the country. That will pay dividends in conference play and in tournament play. It has the potential to be ugly at times with all of the youth. Be prepared. This team could get back to Omaha, but it will take a lot of growing up on the fly to do it. 

2. As mentioned, Henley should be the ace of the staff as the season opens. Pierce is going to use a LOT of arms this year. Expect short outings and a quick hook if the performance isn’t there. The only way these young guys get better is trial by fire. As for the closer, I think it’s going to be Kam Fields early on. It will be his to lose. This is not the proven pitching staff that has graced the 40 in years past.  There will be some bumps in the road early on.

3. Bats. Well, Reynolds is going back to switch hitting and he’s been spending a lot of time in the weight room while he recovered from his off-season surgery. Zubia has the power, but needs to act like the big bad dude that he is. Look for DJ Petrinsky to have a very solid year from the plate as well as Austin Todd. Duke Ellis really came I to his own last season and I expect that trend to continue.

4. Raw talent, yes. Absolutely there is more this year than we have had in a while. Pierce is the right guy for UT Baseball. Period. He is building a monster. When it finally appears is anyone’s guess, but I’d wager a lot that it’s sooner rather than later. 

5. McCann, Bertelson and Shaw are my picks for surprise producers. Not unknowns by any stretch, but they have the potential to quietly have very solid years. Also keep an eye on Lance Ford and Bryce Reagan, two freshmen that are getting a lot of early mentions. 

Thanks Joeywa, thats pretty detailed. 

What do you mean when you say Zubia needs to act like the big bad dude he is?

It actually sounds like we have a nice mix of youth and veterans. Sounds like the pitching staff has some young arms. Plentiful is a good thing.

Zubia has the potential to be a monster.  Last season, in my opinion, he didn't approach the plate with the confidence of a beast.  He's a really big guy, and he can absolutely pummel the fastball.  He appeared to be overthinking more times than not and had a lot of trouble with the breaking balls.  Additionally he didn't seem to be getting much lift on the balls he hit.  Line drives are great for other guys.  When your monster is hitting them, something has to be corrected. 

Step into the box knowing that the P needs to fear you.  Learn to hit the offspeed stuff, or lay off it, and quit guessing.  Be a monster.  I'm sure Coach Allen has been working with him to be the hitter he projects as. 

To follow up on @joeywa last year there was no reason to throw Zubia a fastball it was proven he couldn’t handle even a mediocre breaking ball... however if he has learned a little patience and that the ball carries well on to Comal Street he has a chance to be really special in the middle of the order. 

1 hour ago, TexasTaz27 said:

@joeywa I realize this may not be exact and can change, however based on what you are hearing/seeing what would the projected order look like? Pitching order? Thanks for the insight. 

As of today, if I was asked to set the weekend rotation, I'd have Henley on Friday, either Elder or Quintanilla on Saturday and Bocchi as my Sunday guy.  That will likely change as the season rolls on, but those are the guys I'd start the season with. 

Middle relievers early on I'd have to say Madden, O'Donnell & Stevens.  Maybe Cobb, Neely or Whelan, depending on the situation. 

Closer will probably be Fields until someone else is needed or steps up. 

There are a ton of young arms, so it will be a revolving door until Piece and Haig get a handle on who gives the best opportunity for innings and is consistent.