Sign in to follow this  
Sirhornsalot

Friend/Veteran in need

I normally don't do these sorts of things. But, a close, dear friend of mine lost everything when his house went up in flames this past weekend. The house fire was caused by a lightning strike which hit his home in the early morning hours. Everything was lost although he, his wife and three grandchildren escaped injury-free. A family dog was lost in the blaze.

Andy is always first in line to donate and help others. When the storm hit the coast recently and caused all the flooding, Andy hitched his boat and drove down there and had dozens of rescues in the Houston area. He's a US Army veteran, former paratrooper and shooting instructor.

My point is, this man and his family have always given. The time has come to give back to people like this.

My wife has started a Go-Fund Me drive to directly benefit them in their time of loss. Insurance will get them back in a house, but that will take time. If you feel so compelled to give, I would appreciate it. God bless.

https://www.gofundme.com/andy-amp-brenda-smoak?fbclid=IwAR1lJ-JJn1UjbSeT3mGAsaoQH2s_WsDLzGTceCevg9duLbsqwofybE-Bso8

@echeese

Advertise on HornSports

Lewisville area.    

Contact County Veteran Service Officer   (940) 349-2950

Chris Kyle Resouce Center in Roanoak,   

(701) 866-2758

Army Relief Fund

https://www.aerhq.org/Contact-Us

Texas National Guard Family Foundation (supports all US Army now)

https://www.txngfsf.org/

Have they reached out to Hope for the Warriors?   AUSA?   Both groups with state wide reach and assistance money.

We (TVC) approved the VFW assistance money, reach out to the local chapter.

2 hours ago, echeese said:

Lewisville area.    

Contact County Veteran Service Officer   (940) 349-2950

Chris Kyle Resouce Center in Roanoak,   

(701) 866-2758

Army Relief Fund

https://www.aerhq.org/Contact-Us

Texas National Guard Family Foundation (supports all US Army now)

https://www.txngfsf.org/

Have they reached out to Hope for the Warriors?   AUSA?   Both groups with state wide reach and assistance money.

We (TVC) approved the VFW assistance money, reach out to the local chapter.

@echeese He's not in Lewisville. He's in East Texas (Cass County) about 40 miles SW of Texarkana. Does that matter?

They have not reached out to anyone. Still in shock and trying to figure out what to do.

Andy has been one of the most generous people I've ever met. Its high time that come back to him.

6 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

@echeese He's not in Lewisville. He's in East Texas (Cass County) about 40 miles SW of Texarkana. Does that matter?

They have not reached out to anyone. Still in shock and trying to figure out what to do.

Andy has been one of the most generous people I've ever met. Its high time that come back to him.

GoFund me says lewisville and yes, it does matter though everyone I listed except the County Veteran Service Officer (he needs to call the one in his county) is statewide so they can still be of assistance.

Hopefor the Warriors has an online application process that will get them started.

7 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Did they not have insurance?

Yes, and that covers the house and some contents. And months and months from now, they'll have another house.

Insurance does not cover cloths and a million other things that were burned.

1 hour ago, echeese said:

Thaise "Thai" Borba Graham
Veterans Service Officer  Cass County

P. O. Box 19
Linden, Texas 75563

Phone: 903-756-5221
Fax: 430-218-8272

Good place to start.

Thank you echeese, I will pass this along.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:18 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

Yes, and that covers the house and some contents. And months and months from now, they'll have another house.

Insurance does not cover cloths and a million other things that were burned.

Typically insurance covers 60% of the structure value towards contents which includes clothes, appliances, and whatever else is lost.  

2 hours ago, Texas2725 said:

Typically insurance covers 60% of the structure value towards contents which includes clothes, appliances, and whatever else is lost.  

Sounds easy, right? Except, there was 35 years worth of stuff in that house.

Insurance is great. It provides hope. But all its done at this point is look at the debris on the ground to figure out the cause.

This family has no home. They have no cloths. What they are wearing today is what friends have given them. They lost their phones, wallets (cash) purses, all the bank and credit cards, DLs, LTCs. There is nothing left.

Andy was able to save his wife's truck but had to use a tractor to get it out because the keys were in the house which was on fire. It costs $750 just to replace that stupid key.

I'm in East Texas right now (Longview). I dropped by Andy's place yesterday. It is literally leveled with the metal roof the only thing left, and even its mangled and garbled. I managed to catch Andy at the property along with the insurance cause adjuster. To the point when I left, he still had not determined a cause. He thinks maybe an electric surge from a nearby line.