Sign in to follow this  
Sirhornsalot

2019 Football season news (UT, Big 12)

Advertise on HornSports
2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Matt Rhule staying at Baylor, Jets no longer considering him.

Rhule doesn’t ever sound to serious about actually committing to baylor with all of the interviews he attends each off season.   

1 minute ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Yeah, I heard Riley was trying to get him to come back. At least most Sooners were saying that. Good riddance. lol

He would have to make that decision soon with Jan 14 approaching.

2 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Rhule doesn’t ever sound to serious about actually committing to baylor with all of the interviews he attends each off season.   

I know, right?

I guess its the NFL, you have to let him have his shot.

9 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

OU QB heir apparent Austin Kendall has put his name into the transfer portal.

If he departs, that leaves OU with two scholarship QBs, one a true frosh and the other a RS frosh.

Isn’t that likely to mean Murray is coming back?

1 minute ago, Bear19 said:

I thought that as well...cringe.  Espn analyst saying Jalen Hurt might look at ou as well.   Let’s hipe none of these guys stay or go to Norman for next season!

51 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

No, even OU says Murray is going to the NFL.

It likely means OU either goes with Rattler or the other kid - or - find a suitable GT QB to come in for a year.

47 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

I thought that as well...cringe.  Espn analyst saying Jalen Hurt might look at ou as well.   Let’s hipe none of these guys stay or go to Norman for next season!

Hurts is visiting Maryland and Miami, so far. Martel is also on the market and will be visiting Miami.

17 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Hurts is visiting Maryland and Miami, so far. Martel is also on the market and will be visiting Miami.

Martell was a jackass when he was an aggy commit.  I remember him trashing another aggy QB commit online.  D bag.  Fields trying to get immediate eligibility at Oh St is ridiculous.  Let’s find an accusation, which was addressed, and run with it to be eligible.  If he were starting at Georgia he would never have transferred with that logic.  Not cool to deal with racist talk, but it is all about the football as we know.

44 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

No, even OU says Murray is going to the NFL.

It likely means OU either goes with Rattler or the other kid - or - find a suitable GT QB to come in for a year.

But you said quarterback heir apparent

So to me I thought you meant he was the presumed front runner.

1 hour ago, Bear19 said:

But you said quarterback heir apparent

So to me I thought you meant he was the presumed front runner.

Yes, Austin Kendall was the heir apparent and has put his name in the portal. He was the experienced back up, a member of the 2015 class. So it was his turn and it was likely that he was going to be the OU starter for the season.

14 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

Where did he go?  Arizona Cardinals?:D

https://wreckemred.com/2019/01/12/texas-tech-football-adds-ou-assistant-kerry-cooks-to-coach-safeties/

The team that finished the 2018 season ranked second-to-last in the nation against the pass is turning to an unexpected place to help remedy that problem.  Friday, the Texas Tech football team hired Oklahoma defensive backs coach Kerry Cooks to coach the Red Raider safeties despite the fact that the Sooners were the only team in the nation in 2018 that gave up more passing yards than the Red Raiders.

According to Cooks’ bio at the official Oklahoma football page, the long-time college assistant joined the OU coaching staff in 2015.  A former All-Big 10 safety at Iowa in 1997, Cooks has had coaching stops at Notre Dame (2010-14), Wisconsin (2006-09), Minnesota (2005), Western Illinois (2004) and Kansas State (2003).

Perhaps the shake-up with the Oklahoma defensive staff led Cooks to seek a new opportunity with the Red Raiders.  Sooner head coach Lincoln Riley has hired former Ohio State defensive coordinator Alex Grinch as his new defensive coordinator after promoting Ruffin McNeil to interim DC mid-season to replace the fired Mike Stoops.

Texas Tech needs Cooks to continue to be an ace recruiter.  In 2017, he was named the 247Sports Big 12 recruiter of the year.  In that recruiting cycle, he landed a 5-star safety and two 4-star corners but of course, recruiting to Norman is quite a bit easier than recruiting to Lubbock.

Tech certainly needs to add talent in the defensive backfield however.  After losing two standout safeties in Jah’Shawn Johnson and Vaughnte Dorsey as well as the versatile John Bonney (a 2018 graduate transfer from Texas), Tech is going to be looking for answers in the secondary.

Currently, there are no safeties in the Texas Tech 2019 recruiting class which features just one current signee or commit in the secondary.  Certainly, Cooks has his work cut out for him both on the recruiting trail and on the practice field.

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

Cheese....I could swear that the potential quote was originally from DKR and Dandy Don just repeated it....

I met Don Meredith at a high school reunion of my mom. She was class of '54, he was class of '55 out of Mt Vernon. He was genuine, very polite and acted as thrilled to meet me as I was meeting him. He dated my mom in high school.

Its a great saying and it wouldn't bother me if DKR did first say it. It's true no matter who's lips it comes from.

16 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

https://wreckemred.com/2019/01/12/texas-tech-football-adds-ou-assistant-kerry-cooks-to-coach-safeties/

The team that finished the 2018 season ranked second-to-last in the nation against the pass is turning to an unexpected place to help remedy that problem.  Friday, the Texas Tech football team hired Oklahoma defensive backs coach Kerry Cooks to coach the Red Raider safeties despite the fact that the Sooners were the only team in the nation in 2018 that gave up more passing yards than the Red Raiders.

According to Cooks’ bio at the official Oklahoma football page, the long-time college assistant joined the OU coaching staff in 2015.  A former All-Big 10 safety at Iowa in 1997, Cooks has had coaching stops at Notre Dame (2010-14), Wisconsin (2006-09), Minnesota (2005), Western Illinois (2004) and Kansas State (2003).

Perhaps the shake-up with the Oklahoma defensive staff led Cooks to seek a new opportunity with the Red Raiders.  Sooner head coach Lincoln Riley has hired former Ohio State defensive coordinator Alex Grinch as his new defensive coordinator after promoting Ruffin McNeil to interim DC mid-season to replace the fired Mike Stoops.

Texas Tech needs Cooks to continue to be an ace recruiter.  In 2017, he was named the 247Sports Big 12 recruiter of the year.  In that recruiting cycle, he landed a 5-star safety and two 4-star corners but of course, recruiting to Norman is quite a bit easier than recruiting to Lubbock.

Tech certainly needs to add talent in the defensive backfield however.  After losing two standout safeties in Jah’Shawn Johnson and Vaughnte Dorsey as well as the versatile John Bonney (a 2018 graduate transfer from Texas), Tech is going to be looking for answers in the secondary.

Currently, there are no safeties in the Texas Tech 2019 recruiting class which features just one current signee or commit in the secondary.  Certainly, Cooks has his work cut out for him both on the recruiting trail and on the practice field.

Going from ou to tech probably means he was asked to find a job elsewhere?