Jump to content
News Ticker
  • Texas Basketball falls to #7 Kansas 80-78 in Lawrence on Monday night
Sign in to follow this  
Sirhornsalot

2019 Football season news (UT, Big 12)

Recommended Posts

This is comforting. I knew we had Cook and Green who are both young and pretty highly recruited but I didn't know if they were the guys to step in immediately or if we would be searching for grad transfers or juco guys. I would rather play the young pups and let them get some experience but that's a pretty tall order in this conference. Yes, our safeties are going to be All Americans for sure in a year or two. BJ Foster is a killer. His legal hits just look like they should be penalties because of his ferocity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DisplacedTexan said:

@DBut82 I meant to quote you in my last reply but that didn't happen. One thing though, isn't Brandon Jones leaving? Has that been announced yet?

Jones has not said officially, but early word is he's staying. Something about unfinished business.

We're waiting on LJH to decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DisplacedTexan said:

I know we lose a pretty significant amount of starters this offseason so I pose this question to some of you more seasoned gentlemen. 

Will we be able to effectively reload at all the positions in question? 

I think my biggest concern at this point is the Corner position. In this conference, it seems like every team we play has elite WR's and Slot receivers that can absolutely burn a DB if he's not on top of his game. Boyd had some really great games but he also had a few games where he got picked on big time. Will we be able to field some guys that can put a receiver on an island for an entire game?

I wonder if one of our numerous safeties has the skills to play corner to get on the field?  Assuming Brandon Jones returns our two starting safeties remain intact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeV73 said:

I wonder if one of our numerous safeties has the skills to play corner to get on the field?  Assuming Brandon Jones returns our two starting safeties remain intact.

I think you need your safeties. Rotate them like we have been doing. Plus, Jones got hurt again this year.

I think our next great safety is the Owens kid. When his light really turns on to our defensive scheme, he is going to be something else.

That said, Foster and Sterns are already great, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Texas Cornerback depth 2019 (not counting safeties)

Kobe Boyce (RS soph)

Jalen Green (Soph)

D'Shawn Jamison (Soph)

Anthony Cook (Soph)

Josh Thompson (Jr) nickel

INCOMING FROSH

Kenyatta Watson (Frosh)

Marques Caldwell (Frosh)

 

Youngsters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Youngsters

But good. Boyd was fed to the wolves as a frosh. He did okay.

Cook got considerable playing time this year and did well. The experience will serve him well next year.

Boyce will enter his third year. His light was turning on last spring but he still needed to add some meat.

Both Green and Jamison are crazy good athletes. I wouldn't hesitate to put them out there.

Caldwell needs a redshirt but Watson comes to us college-ready, at least body wise. He's 6'2 and around 195. Smooth hips, very fluid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

But good. Boyd was fed to the wolves as a frosh. He did okay.

Cook got considerable playing time this year and did well. The experience will serve him well next year.

Boyce will enter his third year. His light was turning on last spring but he still needed to add some meat.

Both Green and Jamison are crazy good athletes. I wouldn't hesitate to put them out there.

Caldwell needs a redshirt but Watson comes to us college-ready, at least body wise. He's 6'2 and around 195. Smooth hips, very fluid.

Thoughts on Thompson?  Always hear about his speed, but how did he do in coverage this season?  Didn’t see Cook play much this season, but that might have been me not noticing him on the field.  Lasting memory of course is him drilling Fromm at the end of the Sugar Bowl:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sirhornsalot As usual, you are a wealth of knowledge. Obviously, we're young at Corner but with the staff we have now I am sure we can move the pieces around to put kids in the best position to win. It would just be nice to have a couple of lockdown Corners that can free up a safety like Foster to play at the LOS more to help disrupt plays before they develop. Foster seems especially talented at this and he absolutely cracks folks when he gets the chance. I dig it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DisplacedTexan said:

@DBut82 I meant to quote you in my last reply but that didn't happen. One thing though, isn't Brandon Jones leaving? Has that been announced yet?

Has not been announced yet to my knowledge...I personally hope he returns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Texas Cornerback depth 2019 (not counting safeties)

Kobe Boyce (RS soph)

Jalen Green (Soph)

D'Shawn Jamison (Soph)

Anthony Cook (Soph)

Josh Thompson (Jr) nickel

INCOMING FROSH

Kenyatta Watson (Frosh)

Marques Caldwell (Frosh)

 

I think this group is every bit as talented as the group with Earl Thomas, Blake Gideon, etc...what you think @Sirhornsalot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DBut82 said:

I think this group is every bit as talented as the group with Earl Thomas, Blake Gideon, etc...what you think @Sirhornsalot?

While I was a big Earl Thomas fan, it took time for me to appreciate Blake Gideon. Both of them were safeties though and we're talking CBs.

I think Cook has the chance to be one of the best corners we've ever had. And Jamison has a chance to be better than that. I just believe both are built with the kind of athleticism you need, plus have the football smarts to achieve high. Same with Green.

Boyce has had to grow into the position, more or less. Out of HS, he was a skinny but athletic player. So he's needed some physical development. However, I still remember the "playmaker" from Lake Dallas and expect to see that from him again.

I love Thompson, but he's always going to be a nickel.

I have not seen Caldwell play, but understand he's a project with a high ceiling.

Watson began making some noise toward the end of the year and also at the AA practices. Just quietly shuts down his side of the field. Has all the tools and the mentality you want. I expect Watson to be very hard to keep off the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

Thoughts on Thompson?  Always hear about his speed, but how did he do in coverage this season?  Didn’t see Cook play much this season, but that might have been me not noticing him on the field.  Lasting memory of course is him drilling Fromm at the end of the Sugar Bowl:D

Cook started when Davis went down.

Thompson is great, but I think he's got a home at nickel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DisplacedTexan said:

@Sirhornsalot As usual, you are a wealth of knowledge. Obviously, we're young at Corner but with the staff we have now I am sure we can move the pieces around to put kids in the best position to win. It would just be nice to have a couple of lockdown Corners that can free up a safety like Foster to play at the LOS more to help disrupt plays before they develop. Foster seems especially talented at this and he absolutely cracks folks when he gets the chance. I dig it.

With youth, you'll have some mistakes. I think we'll see them pay dearly a time or two early, but will level out as they improve, gain experience and are playing well as a unit.

You get some mistakes, hopefully minimal. But you also get big plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-Big-12-schedule-2019-127235896/#127235896_1

 

Top 10 Big 12 games in 2019

HOUSTON AT OKLAHOMA (AUG. 31, 2019)

LSU AT TEXAS (SEPT. 7)

WEST VIRGINIA AT KANSAS (SEPT. 21)

KANSAS STATE AT MISSISSIPPI STATE (SEPT. 21)

OKLAHOMA STATE AT TEXAS (SEPT. 21)

OKLAHOMA VS. TEXAS (OCT. 12)

IOWA STATE AT OKLAHOMA (NOV. 9)

TEXAS AT IOWA STATE (NOV. 16)

TEXAS AT BAYLOR (NOV. 23)

OKLAHOMA AT OKLAHOMA STATE (NOV. 30)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-Big-12-schedule-2019-127235896/#127235896_1

 

Top 10 Big 12 games in 2019

HOUSTON AT OKLAHOMA (AUG. 31, 2019)

LSU AT TEXAS (SEPT. 7)

WEST VIRGINIA AT KANSAS (SEPT. 21)

KANSAS STATE AT MISSISSIPPI STATE (SEPT. 21)

OKLAHOMA STATE AT TEXAS (SEPT. 21)

OKLAHOMA VS. TEXAS (OCT. 12)

IOWA STATE AT OKLAHOMA (NOV. 9)

TEXAS AT IOWA STATE (NOV. 16)

TEXAS AT BAYLOR (NOV. 23)

OKLAHOMA AT OKLAHOMA STATE (NOV. 30)

 

How exactly did the WVU v Kansas game make this list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 1:14 PM, DisplacedTexan said:

I know we lose a pretty significant amount of starters this offseason so I pose this question to some of you more seasoned gentlemen. 

Will we be able to effectively reload at all the positions in question? 

I think my biggest concern at this point is the Corner position. In this conference, it seems like every team we play has elite WR's and Slot receivers that can absolutely burn a DB if he's not on top of his game. Boyd had some really great games but he also had a few games where he got picked on big time. Will we be able to field some guys that can put a receiver on an island for an entire game?

 

The sunshine crew won't like it but you cannot simply replace experience with talent.   Football doesn't work that way.

2 new CBs, only one with significant PT

and our entire front 6 turning over.

 

Though the only team that has elite WRs across the  board will be OU but every team seems to have at least one elite WR if not 2.

 

Less concerned about the replacement OLs though still a concern, how quickly can we gel and how well can we establish a run game and above average TE play?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, echeese said:

 

and our entire front 6 turning over.

 

You're not going green here. Roach, Wilbon, Shark, Dele, Marquez Bimage, Joseph Ossai, Taquon Graham return with tons of playing experience collectively.

Green is Daniel Carson, Christmas-Giles, Moro Ojomo, Keondre Coburn, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

 

You're not going green here. Roach, Wilbon, Shark, Dele, Marquez Bimage, Joseph Ossai, Taquon Graham return with tons of playing experience collectively.

Green is Daniel Carson, Christmas-Giles, Moro Ojomo, Keondre Coburn, 

????

 

Green is a DB and while we have experienced players up front, Shark is the only one who has been much more than a place holder.   Roach needs to be a DE, he's not as effective as a LB.

 

Hope the young pups learn to bite in a hurry, if we were talking 2020 D, yes that will be salty.   Right now we're quoting Dandy Don, potential means you ain't done it yet.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, echeese said:

????

 

Green is a DB and while we have experienced players up front, Shark is the only one who has been much more than a place holder.   Roach needs to be a DE, he's not as effective as a LB.

 

Hope the young pups learn to bite in a hurry, if we were talking 2020 D, yes that will be salty.   Right now we're quoting Dandy Don, potential means you ain't done it yet.

 

 

Green = inexperience, not a name.

Every one of those guys I listed have done it. Now, they'll get to do it more.

Agree on Roach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


Franchise Quest


  • Latest Posts

×