Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sirhornsalot

2019 Football season news (UT, Big 12)

Recommended Posts

Saturday
Aug. 31Louisiana Tech Football ScheduleLA Tech Bulldogs DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

Saturday
Sep. 7LSU Football ScheduleLSU Tigers DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

Saturday
Sep. 14Rice Football Schedulevs Rice Owls NRG Stadium, Houston, TX

Saturday
Sep. 21Oklahoma State Football ScheduleOklahoma State Cowboys DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

Saturday
Sep. 28.  BYE WEEK

Saturday
Oct. 5West Virginia Football Scheduleat West Virginia Mountaineers Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV

Saturday
Oct. 12Oklahoma Football Schedulevs Oklahoma Sooners Cotton Bowl Stadium, Dallas, TX

Saturday
Oct. 19Kansas Football ScheduleKansas Jayhawks DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

Saturday
Oct. 26TCU Football Scheduleat TCU Horned Frogs Amon G. Carter Stadium, Fort Worth, TX

Saturday
Nov. 2. BYE WEEK (Deer Season begins, lol)

Saturday
Nov. 9Kansas State Football ScheduleKansas State Wildcats DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

Saturday
Nov. 16Iowa State Football Scheduleat Iowa State Cyclones Jack Trice Stadium, Ames, IA

Saturday
Nov. 23Baylor Football Scheduleat Baylor Bears McLane Stadium, Waco, TX

Friday
Nov. 29Texas Tech Football ScheduleTexas Tech Red Raiders DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertise on HornSports

I like are chances against everyone on the schedule IF we come to play each week. Big challenge for Tom is going to be getting them motivated to play against a seemingly lesser talented football team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Saturday
Aug. 31Louisiana Tech Football ScheduleLA Tech Bulldogs DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

Saturday
Sep. 7LSU Football ScheduleLSU Tigers DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

Saturday
Sep. 14Rice Football Schedulevs Rice Owls NRG Stadium, Houston, TX

Saturday
Sep. 21Oklahoma State Football ScheduleOklahoma State Cowboys DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

Saturday
Sep. 28.  BYE WEEK

Saturday
Oct. 5West Virginia Football Scheduleat West Virginia Mountaineers Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV

Saturday
Oct. 12Oklahoma Football Schedulevs Oklahoma Sooners Cotton Bowl Stadium, Dallas, TX

Saturday
Oct. 19Kansas Football ScheduleKansas Jayhawks DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

Saturday
Oct. 26TCU Football Scheduleat TCU Horned Frogs Amon G. Carter Stadium, Fort Worth, TX

Saturday
Nov. 2. BYE WEEK (Deer Season begins, lol)

Saturday
Nov. 9Kansas State Football ScheduleKansas State Wildcats DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

Saturday
Nov. 16Iowa State Football Scheduleat Iowa State Cyclones Jack Trice Stadium, Ames, IA

Saturday
Nov. 23Baylor Football Scheduleat Baylor Bears McLane Stadium, Waco, TX

Friday
Nov. 29Texas Tech Football ScheduleTexas Tech Red Raiders DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

I see 2 maybe 3 LHN games--LA Tech, Kansas and maybe Kansas State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, texasdalton said:

Collin Johnson announces he is coming back.

Thats big, big news. Now, we need LJH to come back to form the most dangerous WR combo in the conference next year.

As good as LJH was this year, I think he's just getting warmed up really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OU finds its new DC.

Former Ohio State co-DC Alex Grinch joins Oklahoma coaching staff as defensive coordinator

This would be a huge hire for Lincoln Riley as he continues to build Oklahoma into a title contender

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley has landed a major hire at defensive coordinator. Former Ohio State's star co-defensive coordinator Alex Grinch will take over the Sooners' defense for 2019, the school announced on Friday evening. News of the hire was first reported on Friday by Bruce Feldman of The Athletic. There were rumblings of late that Riley, who fired Mike Stoops midseason following a loss to Texas, has been eyeing Grinch for some time

"This is a unique opportunity at one of the premier institutions under elite leadership," said Grinch. "Oklahoma is in the top one percent. There's no faking it in this business. You're either it or you're not. Oklahoma is one of those programs."

This is an absolute home run hire for Riley. Oklahoma's defense, of course, was historically bad in the College Football Playoff era. Following the Orange Bowl loss to Alabama, the Sooners ended the season ranked 101st in points allowed per game, 102nd in yards per play allowed, 107th in points per drive allowed, 121st in turnovers forced and dead last in red zone touchdown percentage. 

Yikes. But there's good news ahead ... 

 

Grinch should alleviate the number problems. In Grinch, Oklahoma would get a proven defensive mind that laid the groundwork for Washington State'srise in the Pac-12 North division. Prior to Grinch's arrival in 2015, the Cougars gave up 38.6 points per game, 10th in the Pac-12. By 2016, that number rose to 26.4 points per game. In 2017, it rose again to 25.8 points per game. This past season, with Grinch's fingerprints still evident, the Cougars allowed only 23.3 points per game. Washington State has also been one of the better teams in turnovers gained in the Pac-12 over the past three years, ranking in the top four in each of the past four years. 

Riley needed to nail this hire, and he did. There's no denying that Riley is quickly becoming one of college football's premier coaches. He's led the Sooners to back-to-back Big 12 titles, playoff appearances and coached consecutive Heisman winners in Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray. Since arriving as offensive coordinator in 2015, his offenses have finished in the top five nationally in points per game and No. 1 in yards per play in back-to-back years. What's been holding him back from achieving even more, obviously, has been the defense. It's a problem that requires a long-term vision to fix, and part of that was hiring a top-flight coordinator. Riley nailed that part of the equation, and Oklahoma just got better on that side of the ball. This is the hire that can launch Riley into the upper-most echelon of college football coaches as he makes the program his own. 

The next step is recruiting. While a change in leadership was necessary on defense, the fact of the matter is Oklahoma also needs to revamp its recruiting on that side of the ball. About half of Oklahoma's 2019 signing class so far -- ranked seventh nationally, per 247Sports --  is made up of defensive players, and half of the blue-chip prospects are on defense. Continuing to win on the recruiting trail defensively to fill out the two-deep is the only way Grinch's hire really takes off. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/former-ohio-state-co-dc-alex-grinch-joins-oklahoma-coaching-staff-as-defensive-coordinator/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

REPORT: Neal Brown Named New West Virginia Football Head Coach

West Virginia football had another solid season in 2018 with head coach Dana Holgorsen and quarterback Will Grier at the helm. But after Grier declared for the NFL Draft and WVU lost an ugly one to Syracuse in the Camping World Bowl, Holgorsen ended his eight-season tenure with the Mountaineers to take the Houston head coaching vacancy. 

 

With West Virginia getting left high and dry by its former head coach, the Mountaineers have reportedly gone South and snagged Neal Brown from Troy and the Sun Belt.

The other two potential choices to replace Holgorsen were likely current West Virginia associate head coach and defensive coordinator, Tony Gibson and Cincinnati head coach, Luke Fickell. Fickell appeared to be more of a long shot since it's was unclear if he has actually been interviewed or not, while Gibson appeared to be staying with the program regardless of a role change.

 

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/6263191-report-neal-brown-named-new-west-virginia-football-head-coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From ESPN:

Sources to ESPN: Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich is expected to join the Ohio State staff for the 2019 season. Yurcich's title is still to be determined but likely will involve him coaching quarterbacks, a group new Ohio State coach Ryan Day oversaw for the past two seasons. Yurcich, 43, has spent the past six seasons at Oklahoma State. He grew up in the Cleveland area. Todd Monken, a former Oklahoma State OC, could return to replace Yurcich but also has NFL opportunities. North Texas OC Graham Harrell could be another option for Mike Gundy.

 

The Jets are interested in Baylor's HC Matt Rhule.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813993-jets-head-coach-rumors-new-york-has-interest-in-baylor-coach-matt-rhule

 

Well thought of OU LB coach Tim Kish has retired.

https://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/ou-football-oklahoma-inside-linebackers-coach-tim-kish-retires/article_c07e5ffa-113d-11e9-a87d-f304853a288c.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

From ESPN:

Sources to ESPN: Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich is expected to join the Ohio State staff for the 2019 season. Yurcich's title is still to be determined but likely will involve him coaching quarterbacks, a group new Ohio State coach Ryan Day oversaw for the past two seasons. Yurcich, 43, has spent the past six seasons at Oklahoma State. He grew up in the Cleveland area. Todd Monken, a former Oklahoma State OC, could return to replace Yurcich but also has NFL opportunities. North Texas OC Graham Harrell could be another option for Mike Gundy.

 

The Jets are interested in Baylor's HC Matt Rhule.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813993-jets-head-coach-rumors-new-york-has-interest-in-baylor-coach-matt-rhule

 

Well thought of OU LB coach Tim Kish has retired.

https://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/ou-football-oklahoma-inside-linebackers-coach-tim-kish-retires/article_c07e5ffa-113d-11e9-a87d-f304853a288c.html

Just glad we're finally off that coaching carousel (I hope).  Stability is so important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we lose a pretty significant amount of starters this offseason so I pose this question to some of you more seasoned gentlemen. 

Will we be able to effectively reload at all the positions in question? 

I think my biggest concern at this point is the Corner position. In this conference, it seems like every team we play has elite WR's and Slot receivers that can absolutely burn a DB if he's not on top of his game. Boyd had some really great games but he also had a few games where he got picked on big time. Will we be able to field some guys that can put a receiver on an island for an entire game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DisplacedTexan said:

I know we lose a pretty significant amount of starters this offseason so I pose this question to some of you more seasoned gentlemen. 

Will we be able to effectively reload at all the positions in question? 

I think my biggest concern at this point is the Corner position. In this conference, it seems like every team we play has elite WR's and Slot receivers that can absolutely burn a DB if he's not on top of his game. Boyd had some really great games but he also had a few games where he got picked on big time. Will we be able to field some guys that can put a receiver on an island for an entire game?

I think both Anthony Cook and Jalen Green are capable of being shut down corners.  And with the amount of playing time Cook received, I think we can expect a very good year from him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  


Franchise Quest


×
×
  • Create New...