News Ticker
  • Texas will face Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship on Saturday, December 1st @ 11:00 AM in Arlington, TX. Game will be televised on ABC
  • Texas Basketball (5-1) loses to Michigan State in title game of Las Vegas Invitational 78-68
Sign in to follow this  
Sirhornsalot

Friday Night Lights – Week 15

2019 TEXAS COMMITS

SEASON IS OVER

DEBGABRIEL FLOYD, LB, Westlake Village (CA)
CHRIS ADIMORA, DB, Lakewood Mayfair (CA)
PETER MPAGI, DE, George Ranch
MARQUES CALDWELL, DB, Alvin
DAVID GBENDA, LB, Katy Cinco Ranch
TYLER JOHNSON, OL, Conroe Oak Ridge
MARCUS TILLMAN JR., LB, Orlando (FL) Jones 
JAVONNE SHEPHERD, OL, Houston North Forest 
JARED WILEY, TE, Temple 
TYLER OWENS, S, Plano East 
(2020) LOGAN PARR, OL, Helotes O’Connor
DARRIAN BROWN, RB, BUFORD (GA)
KENYATTA WATSON, CB, GRAYON (GA)
PEYTON POWELL, ATH, ODESSA PERMIAN 
ROSCHON JOHNSON, QB, PORT NECHES-GROVES – passed for 100 yards on 11 of 24 passing, rushed for 135 yards and 1 touchdown. PNG lost to FB Marshall 53-14.
MYRON WARREN, DL, MANY (LA) – Lost to Welsh (LA) in the Louisiana semi-final round, 28-21.
JAKE SMITH, WR, NOTRE DAME PREP – Caught six passes for 45 yards. Notre Dame Prep lost to Centennial 60-7 in the Arizona Class 5A State Championship.

BOWL CHAMPIONS!
JACOBY JONES,
DL, BUTLER CC – Defeated Northeastern Oklahoma A&M 34-30 to win the Midwest Classic Bowl.

636158040195951696-chandler.thumb.jpg.467a4204602d5cf576f92a9e2691727e.jpg

STATE CHAMPIONS!

BRAYDEN LIEBROCK, TE, CHANDLER (AZ) – Caught six passes for 105 yards and 1 touchdown. Chandler defeated Perry 65-28 in the Arizona Class 6A State Championship.

MARCUS WASHINGTON, WR, ST LOUIS TRINITY CATHOLIC (MO) – Had 105 yards receiving and caught three touchdown passes. Trinity Catholic defeated Cardinal Ritter 45-19 in the Missouri Class 3A State Championship.

STILL IN THE HUNT!

TS1.thumb.jpg.ac4e8f39652ce7a24910fcfb8a534233.jpg

T’VONDRE SWEAT, DE, HUNTSVILLE – Squeaked by Marshall 35-34. No stats available.
Huntsville vs #4 Ft Bend Marshall, Friday, 7:30 p.m. C-F FCU Stadium (Cypress, TX)

561A4404-6BF3-4B45-BBCB-DCA98B903C41.thumb.png.63eb6107abbbb6450eb1be66c5f008d5.png

(2020) HUDSON CARD, QB, LAKE TRAVIS – Defeated Weslaco 56-14. Card was 18 of 22 passing for 362 yards and 7 touchdowns. He also rushed for 34 yards. Card only played for the first half.
#10 Lake Travis vs #3 Converse Judson, Saturday, 2 p.m., Alamodome.

Jordan-Whittington-UT.thumb.jpg.31e4d0896de65b810276ca993df2213a.jpg

JORDAN WHITTINGTON, WR, CUERO – Cuero defeated Corpus Christi West Oso 59-20. Whittington had five catches for 129 yards. He rushed for 45 yards and two touchdowns.
#5 Cuero vs Navarro, Friday, 7:30 p.m. Comalander Stadium (San Antonio)

2 hours ago, Epictetus said:

Due to rain forecast for Friday,
the NEWTON - DANGERFIELD game
has been moved up to THURSDAY night
same time, 7:30, Lufkin's Abe Martin Stadium.

I don't get it. I watched Daingerfield win state against Lufkin Dunbar in Nacogdoches (1968) in the DRIVING RAIN. Nobody got hurt. Nobody melted. Packed house. It rained starting about four hours before game time and ended the next day. 

48 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I don't get it. I watched Daingerfield win state against Lufkin Dunbar in Nacogdoches (1968) in the DRIVING RAIN. Nobody got hurt. Nobody melted. Packed house. It rained starting about four hours before game time and ended the next day. 

Not sure either. Newton historically doesn't mind the weather. Former Coach Barbay would said he'd play in the mud in a cow pasture. For years bragged "we ride the Yellow Dogs"  -- regular school buses. No charters. I'll get more info on it.

22 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

Not sure either. Newton historically doesn't mind the weather. Former Coach Barbay would said he'd play in the mud in a cow pasture. For years bragged "we ride the Yellow Dogs"  -- regular school buses. No charters. I'll get more info on it.

There is one factor that I think it worth considering – fan travel. I would hate for anyone to get hurt getting to or going home from the game.

I guess the idea of being able to predict Texas weather is amusing, especially this far out. I have cancelled work due to a 90% chance of rain, only to see it not rain. lol

Word from my sister, still living in Newton, retired teacher. I also thought of fan travel, both to and from the game, those getting back very late into the night. 

"My friend, _______, that works in the high school office is going with me to the game.  I see on the news that the rain will start on Friday in the late afternoon and is to be bad from that point on until noon on Sat"

2 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

Word from my sister, still living in Newton, retired teacher. I also thought of fan travel, both to and from the game, those getting back very late into the night. 

"My friend, _______, that works in the high school office is going with me to the game.  I see on the news that the rain will start on Friday in the late afternoon and is to be bad from that point on until noon on Sat"

Tell you sister thank you for us. lol 

Added note on significance of the Quarter Final matchup between Newton and Daingerfield. From an Eagle FB / fan page. Too bad this is a Quarter Final and not a Final. Will be played tomorrow, Thur. 

Sirhornsalot has declared the winner of this game should take State. So this could be for the Title. Tomorrow night.

There are 8 teams left in 3ADII pursuing the title of state champion. The Newton Eagles and Daingerfield Tigers have 10 such titles between them. 10 times hoisting that coveted state champion trophy. 10 times of being crowned as the best in the state. Those titles are something each player, each program and each community of fans do not forget.

They are talked about around dinner tables and each title winner has special stories of unique situations or plays that have grown to urban legend status. The 2018 Quarter Finals matchup might contribute to some future legendary status. Be sure and not miss being there as it happens.

The game has been moved to Thursday night in Lufkin with a 7:30 pm kickoff. Senior citizen, UIL, District employee and military passes accepted. Tickets are $9 for adults and $5 for students at the gate. Newton will be visitors.

1 hour ago, Epictetus said:

Added note on significance of the Quarter Final matchup between Newton and Daingerfield. From an Eagle FB / fan page. Too bad this is a Quarter Final and not a Final. Will be played tomorrow, Thur. 

Sirhornsalot has declared the winner of this game should take State. So this could be for the Title. Tomorrow night.

There are 8 teams left in 3ADII pursuing the title of state champion. The Newton Eagles and Daingerfield Tigers have 10 such titles between them. 10 times hoisting that coveted state champion trophy. 10 times of being crowned as the best in the state. Those titles are something each player, each program and each community of fans do not forget.

They are talked about around dinner tables and each title winner has special stories of unique situations or plays that have grown to urban legend status. The 2018 Quarter Finals matchup might contribute to some future legendary status. Be sure and not miss being there as it happens.

The game has been moved to Thursday night in Lufkin with a 7:30 pm kickoff. Senior citizen, UIL, District employee and military passes accepted. Tickets are $9 for adults and $5 for students at the gate. Newton will be visitors.

I do think this is your state championship game for 3A, Div 2. Newton has been consistently pounding everyone in their path. Daingerfield seems to have found themselves mid-season and are pounding people equally bad.

IMO, the key will be Newton's defense. If they can stop DF's air attack and make them one-dimensional, Newton will win going away. IF DF can pick Newton apart in the air, then it might end in OT.

DF has some young pups who are now growing up and hitting their stride. But Newton has some studs who will play on the next level.

I don't think Newton will take this game lightly. They're very disciplined and don't make many mistakes. If Newton doesn't turn the ball over, again, they'll win going away.

Newton 54

DF 48

Class 3A Div 1

#10 Shallowater 7

#3 Brock 3

Halftime

Class 4A Div 1

Decatur 31

Hereford 14

4th

Class 5A Div 2

Wichita Falls Rider 24

#7 Lubbock Cooper 14

Halftime

#4 FB Marshall 0

Huntsville 0

1st

Class 2A Div 2

Gruver 28

Stratford 6

2nd

Hamlin 14

Albany 14

Halftime

#3 Mart 40

#8 Muenster 0

Halftime

#6 Falls City 16

Burton 15

2nd

Class 2A Div 1

San Saba 31

De Leon 17

3rd

Tenaha 14

San Augustine 13

Halftime

#5 New Deal 29

West Texas 0

Halftime

3 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

Class 3A Div 2

Newton 33
Daingerfield 6
closing in on end of first half

Eagle defense has been stout and fast/opportunistic with 2 to 3 interceptions. On radio, can't track exactly.

This one is over before halftime.

#4 Canadian Wildcats 19

Abernathy Antelopes 7

Final

East Bernard Brahmas 17

Tidehaven Tigers 0

Final

#1 Newton Eagles 79

Daingerfield Tigers 12

4th

#3 Brock Eagles 23

#10 Shallowater Mustangs 21