Sign in to follow this  
Harrison Wier

HornSports Members Prediction Thread: Sugar Bowl

11 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

From a football standpoint, when you’re representing your team, and your brothers who are your teammates, it’s unthinkable to not play one last time. I understand and could agree with everyone who disagrees with his decision for the very reasons you’ve stated. The reason I agree with the decision is because he knows what he needs to do and I’m sure he is torn. I don’t know his specific situation but I do know some of these kids come from financial hardships most of us can’t comprehend. I’m sure a college degree would benefit them and help secure a better future but the money they have dangling in front of them is life changing not only for them but their family. They probably listen to bad advice and seem selfish to outsiders but they see an opportunity break out of poverty. Their teammates are important but they are not their number one priority. Being the MVP of the Sugar Bowl would be an awesome accomplishment that you could remember  for the rest of your life but it won’t put food on the table and for many kids that memory can’t be their goal. 

I guess I don't buy the hardship argument. I mean what are the odds of someone sustaining a career ending injury in a bowl game these days? It's like getting hit by lightening. And they'll only drop a few rounds (pretty much worst case scenario, no?) but they will still be lifted way out of poverty (if that's where they were). And all the goodwill and support of their school and fan base will be worth a lot when they leave the game. Maybe significantly more. How long does the average career last anyway? 

I do agree they are getting bad advice. Very hard to put a value on self worth vs the ignobility of letting down your friends for money.

Advertise on HornSports

Okay, its time to make a prediction for this game. I've waited to now because anything can happen in the weeks leading up to the bowl.

Georgia lost their leading DB, so yeah, something changed. This should help the Texas passing game.

IMO, playing Georgia is like playing Bama. They're very similarly made, have similar schemes, and have a similar talent level. 

OU has created a blueprint for defeating this type of team. Hopefully, staff has noticed.

On the surface, one cringes at the thought of playing one of the SEC's top two teams in a bowl game. But on the other hand, TH and staff have a habit of playing up to their competition, . . of getting a team ready for a big game. Texas also has the incentive to launch next year's season now with a big time win over a big time program. This would send expectations for next year through the roof.

Georgia 34

Texas 32

14 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Houston reportedly expected to fire Major Applewhite but no decision reached; Dana Hologrsen a target?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/houston-reportedly-expected-to-fire-major-applewhite-but-no-decision-reached-dana-hologrsen-a-target/

Why would Holgorsen want to go to a group 5 school?

29 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Houston reportedly expected to fire Major Applewhite but no decision reached; Dana Hologrsen a target?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/houston-reportedly-expected-to-fire-major-applewhite-but-no-decision-reached-dana-hologrsen-a-target/

I didn't know Holgerson was once at Houston.

4 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Okay, its time to make a prediction for this game. I've waited to now because anything can happen in the weeks leading up to the bowl.

Georgia lost their leading DB, so yeah, something changed. This should help the Texas passing game.

IMO, playing Georgia is like playing Bama. They're very similarly made, have similar schemes, and have a similar talent level. 

OU has created a blueprint for defeating this type of team. Hopefully, staff has noticed.

On the surface, one cringes at the thought of playing one of the SEC's top two teams in a bowl game. But on the other hand, TH and staff have a habit of playing up to their competition, . . of getting a team ready for a big game. Texas also has the incentive to launch next year's season now with a big time win over a big time program. This would send expectations for next year through the roof.

Georgia 34

Texas 32

Whaaat??? SHA, you just posted a classic conundrum.:blink: You can't even muster a Dicker field goal on the last play for the win??? You disappoint me Sir-wuss-a-lot.;) Surely your prediction is a typo.

2 hours ago, primal defense said:

Manny Diaz returns to Miami Hurricanes as coach just weeks after taking Temple job

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/manny-diaz-returns-to-miami-hurricanes-as-coach-just-weeks-after-taking-temple-job/

I have wondered if Manny was misused by Mack at UT. The guy is better than what his tenure at UT was. Glad to see him moving on up................even if it's at hated Miami.

On 12/4/2018 at 1:40 AM, Hiwood said:

Georgia ia a well built team, they are built like Alabama by a very good coach in Kirby Smart. They are where TEXAS wants to be..TEXAS will have to make every possession count. I just fear that Georgia may be too physical for TEXAS

HaHaHa. Is that why Georgia was complaining about Texas players’ physicality?

No Fear!  Hook ‘em!

Well I hope all the koolaid does not vanish by half time. In the back of my mind is a fear Texas will be like OU,

be beat in the first half. Hope for a win but realisticy do not expect one.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:53 AM, mctmatt said:

I want to see who actually will be playing as some players from both sides will have grade issues, opt out for draft, and of course there will be those that just cannot help themselves once they get to  Bourbon St and end up  being sent home for doing something stupid. 

From both sides?  I doubt it. CJ has never had grade issues and neither has LJ. Sam?  Hardly. 

I just don’t think it Herman will let players he counts on skip class and miss study sessions. 

Hook ‘em!

48-24 Georgia, Georgia has too many great players and is where Texas is trying to get, very similar to Nebraska/Texas game in 1996 big 12 championship. So I’m hoping for a similar outcome and not like the 1990 cotton bowl with Miami. If Texas plays an inspired game for 60 minutes they can pull off the upset ....   Texas is not supposed to win but this is why they play the game. 

Perhaps Georgia is too tough....but no reason to think that way. We had no business in the RRS, but we brought it too em even though we let them back in the game.We had no business beating USC in 2006 Rose Bowl, but if we replayed that game 20 times we win it 20 times. So many times in our history ( yes, including 1996) we were expected to go quietly but showed that not only could we win, but in fact we were the better team. This is going to be one of those games.