News Ticker
  • Texas Basketball falls to #7 Kansas 80-78 in Lawrence on Monday night
Sign in to follow this  
Harrison Wier

HornSports Members Prediction Thread: Sugar Bowl

6 minutes ago, The Tinman said:

For most kids that choose not to play in a bowl game its all about the money...why risk an injury or a poor showing against your competition that could affect your draft position? Im not for skipping bowl games but I am also not looking at a big payday in the NFL. 

His team mates got him to this point. He did not get there by himself.

Does anyone have the stats on career ending injuries in a bowl game? 

They play football all their lives with the same risk,  and now can't play one more meaningful game because they may get hurt? ...and they're about to go play with the really big bad men?  C'mon man.

If I'm a pro scout,  I take a hard look at a player who's afraid to play for any reason and unwilling to give 100% for his team. 

2 hours ago, UTfish said:

Does anyone have the stats on career ending injuries in a bowl game? 

They play football all their lives with the same risk,  and now can't play one more meaningful game because they may get hurt? ...and they're about to go play with the really big bad men?  C'mon man.

If I'm a pro scout,  I take a hard look at a player who's afraid to play for any reason and unwilling to give 100% for his team. 

I'm wondering if this isn't being driven by agents.

#1. I don’t blame him for not playing if he believes the risk is greater than the reward. #2. It seems to indicate the reward isn’t great in his opinion. If they were in the playoffs would he play? #3. I imagine most of the Georgia players share his apathy towards this game and that helps us more than his absence. 

10 minutes ago, PTA said:

But if that guy has already been provided compensation ahead of time for work performed at a later date, he owes somebody something.

These kids sacrifice and give a ton back to the school. They owe nothing to the school to play in an exhibition game. The school is going to get paid regardless, recruiting is not going to take a hit and as it was mentioned by Rick Flair, it helps UT, so...

1 hour ago, Big Daddy Cane said:

If a guy has a lottery ticket, I wouldn't blame him if he didn't give a 2 week notice. Again, not saying I would do the same, but it is the world we live in and why take a chance, however small it is, to miss out on taking care of yourself and your family?

Big....that is true for the first rounders....or for the first 15 or so of the first rounders. I dont think that guys after that get the big signing bonus. Football contracts are generally not guaranteed, so no promise of making himself or family rich.

An insurance policy( which most of the top guys have anyway) might pay just as much. Still....it is a risk and I can have my opinions, but it is not my place to look down on the young man. Besides, last year for our bowl game ( against an secsecsec opponent) we had 3 guys sit out and our 3 were very important to our defense. I will not feel sorry for Georgia.

Ha....speaking of that reminds me of when Parcells was the Cowboy coach and 3 top guys went down right for the start of the playoffs, maybe including the QB...Parcells said..." I am sure of 2 things...# 1 We still have to play the game...and # 2  no one will feel sorry for us"

58 minutes ago, Big Daddy Cane said:

These kids sacrifice and give a ton back to the school. They owe nothing to the school to play in an exhibition game. The school is going to get paid regardless, recruiting is not going to take a hit and as it was mentioned by Rick Flair, it helps UT, so...

It’s a business decision by the player. The bottom line in College athletics is the bottom line. It’s not a something we fans want to believe but it is the reality. For most elite players college is somewhere you go until you’re draft eligible. Universities make boat loads of money on these “student/ athletes”.  In 2017 our football revenue was $42 million. If the 85 scholarship athletes received $30,000 for the year (they all won’t because of student federal aide) that would cost $2.55 million. I’m sorry but if I’ve helped a business generate $39 million and I have the chance to reap the benefits of my labor I’m cashing in. 

2 hours ago, Big Daddy Cane said:

I'm wondering when bowl games became exhibitions. I must have missed that. It must be like the frog in a slowly heating pot. Back in the last century bowl games were a reward and a stage to showcase your abilities against opponents you wouldn't normally play.

It looks to me that the NFL combine and agents are ruining what fans and players used to look forward to every year.

12 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

It’s a business decision by the player. The bottom line in College athletics is the bottom line. It’s not a something we fans want to believe but it is the reality. For most elite players college is somewhere you go until you’re draft eligible. Universities make boat loads of money on these “student/ athletes”.  In 2017 our football revenue was $42 million. If the 85 scholarship athletes received $30,000 for the year (they all won’t because of student federal aide) that would cost $2.55 million. I’m sorry but if I’ve helped a business generate $39 million and I have the chance to reap the benefits of my labor I’m cashing in. 

Thanks a lot,  Ricky.  You just singlehandedly destroyed my love for college football. :angry: lol.

You may see it as dollars and cents decision only, and for some,  it is.  I believe that is a decision they will regret later in life. 

They were taught to give 100% effort and play for the love of their teammates and suddenly it's okay for them to quit when their team really needs them one last time? Right or wrong, that will leave a bad taste in the mouths of many fans who, by the way, paid for their education and training. 

Not only do the young men miss out on the excitement of a bowl game,  but the fans pay big bucks to see a subpar team. 

To me, the bottom line is that they quit the team one game early. I refuse to accept any other reality. :)

2 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

They are amateurs, not professionals. And I for one hope we never change that. It's the whole freaking point. Get a free education. Get free gear. Get free food. Get free lodging. And if you get hurt get free medical attention and then use your free education to live your life like a normal person. (I'd even be totally cool with some kind of power 5 or Div 1 slush fund for per diem during the season or something like that). But if you are a player on the team, play the season. I don't like it but I can understand an exception for a first round pick in the Jimmy's Used Cars Bowl on a 6-6 team, but a 10-2 team in the Sugar Bowl? Lame.

48 minutes ago, prosfromdover said:

They are amateurs, not professionals. And I for one hope we never change that. It's the whole freaking point. Get a free education. Get free gear. Get free food. Get free lodging. And if you get hurt get free medical attention and then use your free education to live your life like a normal person. (I'd even be totally cool with some kind of power 5 or Div 1 slush fund for per diem during the season or something like that). But if you are a player on the team, play the season. I don't like it but I can understand an exception for a first round pick in the Jimmy's Used Cars Bowl on a 6-6 team, but a 10-2 team in the Sugar Bowl? Lame.

Agree, except every bowl counts and you team mates are counting on you to be there where ever it is.

From a football standpoint, when you’re representing your team, and your brothers who are your teammates, it’s unthinkable to not play one last time. I understand and could agree with everyone who disagrees with his decision for the very reasons you’ve stated. The reason I agree with the decision is because he knows what he needs to do and I’m sure he is torn. I don’t know his specific situation but I do know some of these kids come from financial hardships most of us can’t comprehend. I’m sure a college degree would benefit them and help secure a better future but the money they have dangling in front of them is life changing not only for them but their family. They probably listen to bad advice and seem selfish to outsiders but they see an opportunity break out of poverty. Their teammates are important but they are not their number one priority. Being the MVP of the Sugar Bowl would be an awesome accomplishment that you could remember  for the rest of your life but it won’t put food on the table and for many kids that memory can’t be their goal. 

7 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

From a football standpoint, when you’re representing your team, and your brothers who are your teammates, it’s unthinkable to not play one last time. I understand and could agree with everyone who disagrees with his decision for the very reasons you’ve stated. The reason I agree with the decision is because he knows what he needs to do and I’m sure he is torn. I don’t know his specific situation but I do know some of these kids come from financial hardships most of us can’t comprehend. I’m sure a college degree would benefit them and help secure a better future but the money they have dangling in front of them is life changing not only for them but their family. They probably listen to bad advice and seem selfish to outsiders but they see an opportunity break out of poverty. Their teammates are important but they are not their number one priority. Being the MVP of the Sugar Bowl would be an awesome accomplishment that you could remember  for the rest of your life but it won’t put food on the table and for many kids that memory can’t be their goal. 

Well said,  Ricky.   We can agree with that, but it's a perceived trend that bothers me. Not all these kids are hardship cases, and what I see is professional football creeping further down into the college level. 

11 hours ago, Baron said:

I'm wondering when bowl games became exhibitions. I must have missed that. It must be like the frog in a slowly heating pot. Back in the last century bowl games were a reward and a stage to showcase your abilities against opponents you wouldn't normally play.

It looks to me that the NFL combine and agents are ruining what fans and players used to look forward to every year.

When they changed the format to a four team playoff and a bunch or bowls of much, much less importance.   

Cats out of the bag now, we will never go back.   But bowl games were special many moons ago.  

3 hours ago, UTfish said:

Well said,  Ricky.   We can agree with that, but it's a perceived trend that bothers me. Not all these kids are hardship cases, and what I see is professional football creeping further down into the college level. 

I definitely agree.