Sign in to follow this  
Harrison Wier

HornSports Members Prediction Thread: Sugar Bowl

8 hours ago, Epictetus said:

This turned out to be Beer Talk. Randon beer talk. Here goes...

How will the Horns stack up against Georgia?
Better.. how would Georgia stack up against... Oklahoma, West Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma State...?
Can't say.  A 3rd of SEC's regular season is against cupcakes. Heavy on the sprinkles.

Below are the 40 non-conference games played this year by the top 10 SEC teams by year-end rankings. Top 5 in each division.

SEC teams play 8 conference games;  6 from their division. Players may go their entire career and never play half the teams in the other division. Only in a conference title game.

- 9 of these 40 non-conf games are programs from Power 5 conferences.
- 4 of the 40 games were road games.
- 6 of these 10 SEC teams played 8 home games. Missouri, Miss State, Kentucky, each played 7. Aggie played 7 home games, with Ark on a neutral field.

2018 regular season ended with 8 SEC teams in the Top 25.

Here are the 40 non-conf match ups.

My Magic 8-Ball Predicts 7 bowl losses, 3 Toss-ups.
EDIT: amended predictions to be clear on who's predicted winner.

SEC WEST
#1 Alabama   Bowl:  Oklahoma.  Predict OU win in stunner.
Louisville
Arkansas State
Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns
The Citadel

#19 A&M    Bowl:  N. Carolina State, predict Toss-up
Northwestern State
#2 Clemson
U. Louisiana Monroe
UAB

#11 LSU   Bowl:  U. Central Florida, predict Toss-up
Miami
Southeastern Louisiana
Louisiana Tech
Rice

#18 Miss State   Bowl: Iowa, predict Bulldogs lose to Iowa
SFA
at Kansas State
Louisiana Tech
Louisiana Rajan Cajuns

Auburn   Bowl: Purdue, predict Toss-up
#9 Washington
Alabama State
Southern Miss
Liberty

SEC EAST
#5 Georgia  Bowl: Texas,  predict Horns win
Austin Peay
Middle Tennessee
U Mass
Georgia Tech

#14 Kentucky  Bowl: Penn State, predict lose to Nittney Lions
Central Michigan
Murray State
Middle Tennessee
at Louisville

S. Carolina   Bowl: Virginia, predict lose to Virginia Cavs
Costal Carolina
Marshall
Akron
Chattanooga

#10 Florida  Bowl Michigan, predict lose to Wolverines
Charleston Southern
Colorado State
Idaho
at Florida State

#23 Missouri   Bowl: Ok-State, predict blowout loss to Pokes
UT Martin
Memphis
Wyoming
at Purdue

I re-worked this a bit. Could be errors in it.

Winless bowl season for the sec?  Sounds good to me.

Advertise on HornSports

On my above post on the top 10 SEC teams... I give that conference credit on gaining 10 solid bowl matchups. All are matched up with solid programs and coaching. Iowa is no slouch, and Purdue moved up a notch this season. NC-State provides solid competition, as does Virginia. Penn State, and so on. 

Really good bowl lineup. 

Most interesting of all, the top two SEC teams go up against OU-Texas, the two top finishers in 2018, and the classic rivals at the Cotton Bowl every October. 

I honestly believe every opponent (of the SEC team) in these 10 bowls can give the SEC team a run for it. At the last I could have made them all Toss-ups. 

22 minutes ago, Texas2725 said:

Texas 27

Georgia 24

Georgia is good, but I think our defense excels when going up against non-spread offenses.  Offense has to bring our A game.

What is the last non-spread offense we faced?  The season is blending together after seeing all of the spread BIG12 teams.

I think it's awesome that they got a Sugar Bowl nod and anything is possible.  But.  I don't like this matchup,  They're not going to out physical UGA.  They will need to play fast and furious.  Hager will get destroyed far worse in this game than his last and boy was that embarressing!  The OL is going to have to do some heavy lifting as well.

I'm not going to toss around a prediction, but I believe UGA covers the opening line.

Horns have proven they can defense anyone.  They have the most explosive passing game we’ve ever seen in Austin including Vince Young.  They also have good coaching, ever-improving with each game.  I don’t know what makes a good O-line—Horns give good pass protection and running backs occasionally get a push from the whole-team-behind-em culture.  Our D-line will have their hands full vs Georgia running backs. Freshman safety Caden Sterns is a thriller.  They will need to settle down from the excitement of a major bowl audience (read avoid penalties) and deliver a performance we all want.  This team has already proven Texas-Is-Back.  

This has all the makings of a program defining game not unlike the Clemson come from behind victory over LSU in the Chic-Fil-A bowl in 2012.  The way I see it is that Texas has nothing to lose, but has everything to gain.  If they can play loose, free, and have fun then they have a great chance.  If they play tight and not to lose then they will get run out of the Superdome.  Here's hoping Herman can pull a rabbit out of the hat and the Horns can take the next step in their evolution.

I'm just going to go and enjoy the game. It'll be the last Texas game for a while. As many have stated, Texas has nothing to lose in this game. Play a good game and "we're back". Otherwise, we're building for the future. If Texas can play it's game and keep the penalties to a minimum, we should be able to score 40+ points.

Regardless of the game's outcome, this has been a good, exciting season.

I am sorry Hookem, but that comes close to offending me. I agree with every word you wrote, but when reading it all together, it almost sounds like a capitulation. While I agree with those that say Georgia SHOULD win, I do not agree that the outcome is a foregone conclusion. We have an excellent chance to win this game. I expect it to be a very good one.

Baker had to not play in order to keep his record of not allowing a TD intact. I think he had a two year streak going. When he looked at CJ and LJH with a bit of Duverney thrown in he simply could not chance it.

I realize that this type smack is a cheap shot at a player not in the game....but when he has taken himself out of the game he has to put up with the consequences of his non participation.

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

Baker had to not play in order to keep his record of not allowing a TD intact. I think he had a two year streak going. When he looked at CJ and LJH with a bit of Duverney thrown in he simply could not chance it.

I realize that this type smack is a cheap shot at a player not in the game....but when he has taken himself out of the game he has to put up with the consequences of his non participation.

At this point, it is a glorified exhibition game. He has nothing to play for. Don't blame the kid one bit and it helps Texas, so...

Big Daddy....of course you are right, but dammit!...In the end they are ALL glorified exhibition games. If he chooses to not play....more power to him, but staying out of a game...which is a damned big exhibition game at that is a sad move IMHO. These are reward games....for the players....for their schools....for their fans...for their conferences...and last bus not least...for their ability to recruit the next year.

He wants to play pro ball...fine, but why not support the school that helped develop the skills to make that pro career happen?