News Ticker
  • Texas will face Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship on Saturday, December 1st @ 11:00 AM in Arlington, TX. Game will be televised on ABC
  • Texas Basketball (5-1) loses to Michigan State in title game of Las Vegas Invitational 78-68
Sign in to follow this  
Harrison Wier

HornSports Members Prediction Thread: Sugar Bowl

Ask and you shall receive. You guys really want to get this going early, huh? Texas opened as 11-point underdogs to Georgia, but the line will shrink some. This will be a great way to measure just how improved the Horns are. Get your picks in, ya filthy animals. 

I told my wife yesterday after I watched the SEC Championship replay that it wouldn't surprise me if Georgia blows us out.  I think I was hopped up on too much sweet tea.  After coming down from my sugar rush and actually putting thought into it, I see no reason why this Texas squad can't put it on Georgia.  The issues our defense had came against the top offenses in the nation; spread teams.  Orlando's defenses, at its best are designed to stop teams like Georgia.  And our offense has improved enough to hang enough points on the Dawgs.  Plus Herman apparently loves to be the underdog and I imagine we'll be a significant one.  I think this team, with a month to prepare, catch these Dawgs slipping and pull out a Sugar Bowl victory!

Texas 31

Georgia 27

HOOK EM!!!  \\m//

Dbut82 that sweet tea hit us both hard. Same initial and post coma thoughts.

Oklahoma has the best offense in the nation and we did a good job with them. 

Our defense can win us this game. I firmly believe that the SEC doesn’t know what real defense is and annually is reminded when bowl season comes around.

I want to see who actually will be playing as some players from both sides will have grade issues, opt out for draft, and of course there will be those that just cannot help themselves once they get to  Bourbon St and end up  being sent home for doing something stupid. 

This will be the most difficult game Texas plays all year.

Georgia is a more complete team than OU. Georgia can score points. Georgia plays defense. Georgia plays special teams.

Add on to that a month to prepare. Hummmm.

I will predict . . . later.

5 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

This will be the most difficult game Texas plays all year.

Georgia is a more complete team than OU. Georgia can score points. Georgia plays defense. Georgia plays special teams.

Add on to that a month to prepare. Hummmm.

I will predict . . . later.

You tease!;)

There was no press conference today. I'd like an injury report. I'd also like to know if anyone is already in the (Gawga dog) house violating team rules. and So on.

If all are healthy and all able to make the trip, no suspensions... my early take is that a team like Georgia may be better to plan and coach against than the Ok-States / WVAs / and OUs.  Focused assignments that are easier to play Fast & Loose than in the Big12.

Analogy.:
Buckle up the chin strap and get after it in a wrestling match -- or chasing rabbits? Which is harder to just let 'er rip??  It's possible the physicality that Herman teaches will do better against Georgia than top Big12 offenses. My early take. I think we look much better in the game than many might imagine. And win. By the way, I'm an armchair QB/Coach. Zero credentials. Fan-based only.

TEXAS 38
Georgia 24

Georgia ia a well built team, they are built like Alabama by a very good coach in Kirby Smart. They are where TEXAS wants to be..TEXAS will have to make every possession count. I just fear that Georgia may be too physical for TEXAS

I’ve read two different people on Hornsports suggest that Orlando’s defense is made to stop an offense like Georgia.  I’m not trying to argue, I’m interested to know the thinking behind this conclusion?

The way I see it, everything we do is about combating the spread.  Most of the time we have 2 players on the field over 255 pounds and one of them is 285.  3 linemen, 2 linebackers and a half dozen DBs is a common lineup for us..... What am I missing?

Like Sirhornsalot, I will hold off and seek a way to pick Texas.  I’m still reeling from my embarrassing Iowa St pick.  

23 hours ago, UTfish said:

83Dee reminded me of the '84 Cotton Bowl when Georgia upset us and knocked us out of the NC.  If I remember right,  the score was 10-9 Georgia. 

Revenge IS sweet.   10-9 TEXAS! 

Oh, I remember it well (cue the harp):

Nebraska ends the season undefeated and #1 with arguably the greatest college O of all time. 

Texas ends the season undefeated and #2 with arguably the greatest college defense of all time.  

Nebraska is obligated to play in the Orange Bowl,and Texas the Cotton.  

Texas dominates Georgia to the tune of allowing 3 points and two times all game has Georgia crossed the 50.  

With a couple minutes left Georgia inexplicably lines up to punt trailing by 6.  Texas in disbelief drops the safety back who muffs the punt and loses the ball at about the 20. 

Georgia scores and wins the game.  Nebraska is upset by Miami later that night.  

MUST BEAT GEORGIA!!!!

11 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Oh, I remember it well (cue the harp):

Nebraska ends the season undefeated and #1 with arguably the greatest college O of all time. 

Texas ends the season undefeated and #2 with arguably the greatest college defense of all time.  

Nebraska is obligated to play in the Orange Bowl,and Texas the Cotton.  

Texas dominates Georgia to the tune of allowing 3 points and two times all game has Georgia crossed the 50.  

With a couple minutes left Georgia inexplicably lines up to punt trailing by 6.  Texas in disbelief drops the safety back who muffs the punt and loses the ball at about the 20. 

Georgia scores and wins the game.  Nebraska is upset by Miami later that night.  

MUST BEAT GEORGIA!!!!

Oh how I remember that game, I was in Dallas at the time, we made a Georgia QB  a living legend..I so wanted to kick Fred Akers ass for the way he coached that game..You can tell I don't hold a grudge much...

56 minutes ago, Hiwood said:

Oh how I remember that game, I was in Dallas at the time, we made a Georgia QB  a living legend..I so wanted to kick Fred Akers ass for the way he coached that game..You can tell I don't hold a grudge much...

Edited by Hiwood
double post

This turned out to be Beer Talk. Randon beer talk. Here goes...

How will the Horns stack up against Georgia?
Better.. how would Georgia stack up against... Oklahoma, West Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma State...?
Can't say.  A 3rd of SEC's regular season is against cupcakes. Heavy on the sprinkles.

Below are the 40 non-conference games played this year by the top 10 SEC teams by year-end rankings. Top 5 in each division.

SEC teams play 8 conference games;  6 from their division. Players may go their entire career and never play half the teams in the other division. Only in a conference title game.

- 9 of these 40 non-conf games are programs from Power 5 conferences.
- 4 of the 40 games were road games.
- 6 of these 10 SEC teams played 8 home games. Missouri, Miss State, Kentucky, each played 7. Aggie played 7 home games, with Ark on a neutral field.

2018 regular season ended with 8 SEC teams in the Top 25.

Here are the 40 non-conf match ups.

My Magic 8-Ball Predicts 7 bowl losses, 3 Toss-ups.
EDIT: amended predictions to be clear on who's predicted winner.

SEC WEST
#1 Alabama   Bowl:  Oklahoma.  Predict OU win in stunner.
Louisville
Arkansas State
Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns
The Citadel

#19 A&M    Bowl:  N. Carolina State, predict Toss-up
Northwestern State
#2 Clemson
U. Louisiana Monroe
UAB

#11 LSU   Bowl:  U. Central Florida, predict Toss-up
Miami
Southeastern Louisiana
Louisiana Tech
Rice

#18 Miss State   Bowl: Iowa, predict Bulldogs lose to Iowa
SFA
at Kansas State
Louisiana Tech
Louisiana Rajan Cajuns

Auburn   Bowl: Purdue, predict Toss-up
#9 Washington
Alabama State
Southern Miss
Liberty

SEC EAST
#5 Georgia  Bowl: Texas,  predict Horns win
Austin Peay
Middle Tennessee
U Mass
Georgia Tech

#14 Kentucky  Bowl: Penn State, predict lose to Nittney Lions
Central Michigan
Murray State
Middle Tennessee
at Louisville

S. Carolina   Bowl: Virginia, predict lose to Virginia Cavs
Costal Carolina
Marshall
Akron
Chattanooga

#10 Florida  Bowl Michigan, predict lose to Wolverines
Charleston Southern
Colorado State
Idaho
at Florida State

#23 Missouri   Bowl: Ok-State, predict blowout loss to Pokes
UT Martin
Memphis
Wyoming
at Purdue

I re-worked this a bit. Could be errors in it.

1 hour ago, Epictetus said:

This turned out to be Beer Talk. Randon beer talk. Here goes...

How will the Horns stack up against Georgia?
Better.. how would Georgia stack up against... Oklahoma, West Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma State...?
Can't say.  A 3rd of SEC's regular season is against cupcakes. Heavy on the sprinkles.

Below are the 40 non-conference games played this year by the top 10 SEC teams by year-end rankings. Top 5 in each division.

SEC teams play 8 conference games;  6 from their division. Players may go their entire career and never play half the teams in the other division. Only in a conference title game.

- 9 of these 40 non-conf games are programs from Power 5 conferences.
- 4 of the 40 games were road games.
- 6 of these 10 SEC teams played 8 home games. Missouri, Miss State, Kentucky, each played 7. Aggie played 7 home games, with Ark on a neutral field.

2018 regular season ended with 8 SEC teams in the Top 25.

Here are the 40 non-conf match ups.

My Magic 8-Ball Predicts 7 bowl losses, 3 Toss-ups.

SEC WEST
#1 Alabama   Bowl:  OU, predict major upset Loss
Louisville
Arkansas State
Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns
The Citadel

#19 A&M    Bowl:  N. Carolina State, predict Toss-up
Northwestern State
#2 Clemson
U. Louisiana Monroe
UAB

#11 LSU   Bowl:  U. Central Florida, predict Toss-up
Miami
Southeastern Louisiana
Louisiana Tech
Rice

#18 Miss State   Bowl: Iowa, predict Loss
SFA
at Kansas State
Louisiana Tech
Louisiana Rajan Cajuns

Auburn   Bowl: Purdue, predict Toss-up
#9 Washington
Alabama State
Southern Miss
Liberty

SEC EAST
#5 Georgia  Bowl: Texas,  predict Loss
Austin Peay
Middle Tennessee
U Mass
Georgia Tech

#14 Kentucky  Bowl: Penn State, predict Loss
Central Michigan
Murray State
Middle Tennessee
at Louisville

S. Carolina   Bowl: Virginia, predict Loss
Costal Carolina
Marshall
Akron
Chattanooga

#10 Florida  Bowl Michigan, predict Loss
Charleston Southern
Colorado State
Idaho
at Florida State

#23 Missouri   Bowl: Ok-State, predict blowout Loss
UT Martin
Memphis
Wyoming
at Purdue

I re-worked this a bit. Could be errors in it.

Nice work. Some eye-opening stuff there. EIGHT homes games?

source.gif