News Ticker
  • Texas will face Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship on Saturday, December 1st @ 11:00 AM in Arlington, TX. Game will be televised on ABC
  • Texas Basketball (5-1) loses to Michigan State in title game of Las Vegas Invitational 78-68
Sign in to follow this  
Jameson McCausland

Initial Thoughts: Texas to play Georgia in Sugar Bowl

7 hours ago, Lord Vader said:

We all know Shane is not capeable of beating Georgia. Having at least a package ready for someone with wheels is not a bad idea. 

Make no mistake for Texas to win the QB spot has to be a man who has running ability.

I don't "want" it to come to that but if you think Shane, especially seeing his body of work this year in relief, can beat an elite team like Georgia you're mistaken.

Reluctantly agree. 

I think Shane is very capable of beating Georgia... just not laying on his back. I just don't think our O-line is good enough to give him a chance.

Bad as the option is,  the QB has to have some ability to make plays with his feet and Rising may be our best bet. 

If Sam goes down,  then,  like NTG said, just tell me when I can open my eyes. 

I don't think Buechele finishes his career at Texas as I think he will transfer out and I think that will play a factor as to how the Coaches move forward with Buechele.  I actually do not see many programs other than smaller college programs having much interest in Buechele.

7 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I agree with PD here. You don't throw Rising out there for the first time against Georgia. If anything, you use Rising if Buechele stinks the place up in relief.

This spring, however, I start giving both Rising and Thompson more snaps. I think they'd both overtake Buechele by start of next season. 

Years ago I was some sort of star in the making. I was brought up to varsity as a sophomore QB. I rode pine behind the starter until about game 5 when we took on state champion Paris. Starter went down in the 1st qtr. So I was pummeled for three quarters on a very hard field and ate some sod.

I still have nightmares about that night. lol

That was the night your destiny of being in the landscaping business was fulfilled. 

Saw this on another site and thought it was pretty accurate.

However, if you were to tell me that Texas is in this position before the season, I would have called it a great year. If you tell me they’re in this position after the Maryland game, I would have called you crazy. The fact that Texas was able to put themselves in this position is a testament to what a great turnaround this team has accomplished.

14 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Georgia gave me the worst sports pain of my life.... Cotton Bowl in 1984 (1983 season).  Never have I seen a team win a game as outclassed as Georgia was that day.  I believe they crossed the 50 yardline twice all game (or something ridiculous like that).    It turned out that this cost us a national championship.  

Revenge is a dish best served cold.  

THIS. Still hurts today 

I may be in the minority, but I think we have a great chance against Georgia.Because of Hand we each know each othrs blocking schemes, but when does Georgia get to play a hurry up spread offense? I also think our line backers might be suited to play Georgia's offense. We dont have OU type speed, but we have better than average speed and we have WR's that might give em fits. I dont know that we can run on em, but we might not need to so much....

9 hours ago, mctmatt said:

I don't think Buechele finishes his career at Texas as I think he will transfer out and I think that will play a factor as to how the Coaches move forward with Buechele.  I actually do not see many programs other than smaller college programs having much interest in Buechele.

Buechele only played 2 games this year so he will be a redshirt. If he does transfer he should have plenty Power 5 interest. Lots of experience, 2 years of eligibility left, decent numbers for a freshman, and was highly touted in high school. He will be wanted I feel. 

1 hour ago, Hiwood said:

on paper this is not a good matchup for TEXAS, but I am hoping that they are getting a Georgia  team that really doesn't want to be there..Texas has everything to gain from this game

Can everyone stop saying Georgia won't be motivated for this game. A game is simply a game no matter if you made the playoffs. I'm tired of hearing that excuse from Georgia fans as well

2 hours ago, longhorn_mig said:

One good thing, I think this is the type of offense Orlando would prefer to play and scheme against.

Interesting.... I don’t think I agree.  I think Orlando makes his living as a spread stopper.  You’re not going to run that dime package very much!

when I looked at Georgia’s mammoth OL, I wondered how:  Hager, Omenihu and Nelson night hold up..... 

18 minutes ago, Monsieur ATX said:

Can everyone stop saying Georgia won't be motivated for this game. A game is simply a game no matter if you made the playoffs. I'm tired of hearing that excuse from Georgia fans as well

This phenomena happens almost every year..... it’s how the UCFs of the world knock off the big boys.   It is a definite possibility.  

I doubt what we say on Hornsports has an effect on how Texas or Georgia prepare for the game.  

33 minutes ago, TB14 said:

Buechele only played 2 games this year so he will be a redshirt. If he does transfer he should have plenty Power 5 interest. Lots of experience, 2 years of eligibility left, decent numbers for a freshman, and was highly touted in high school. He will be wanted I feel. 

Agree... I think Herman’s plan was to allow Buechele to red-shirt out of respect for the young man.  

I believe he’s played in 3 games though.... if I’m correct, does that mean game time in the bowl eliminates the redshirt option??

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

I may be in the minority, but I think we have a great chance against Georgia.Because of Hand we each know each othrs blocking schemes, but when does Georgia get to play a hurry up spread offense? I also think our line backers might be suited to play Georgia's offense. We dont have OU type speed, but we have better than average speed and we have WR's that might give em fits. I dont know that we can run on em, but we might not need to so much....

I think we have a good chance as well.  I’m a bit concerned how our small and quick DL handles their huge OL....

22 hours ago, primal defense said:

I don't understand your logic. If Sam goes down then you don't want to put in an experienced backup that has won games for UT. You want to put in instead a freshman that has never played before against one of the best teams in the nation.:unsure:

Who is the reasonthe freshmen QBS havent played. SAme as game vs Alabama.

23 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Not sure that there was a game that afforded us the opportunity to play one of the freshmen QB's. 

Youcould be right. Over the season there should be a chance for freshmen to play.

With almost a month to prepare for the game, it gives both teams to get healthy and work on a new game plan and add plays that they may not have shown during the regular season..not much disguise to how Texas plays their DB's in coverage..single coverage on an island..They have to find a pass rush or Fromm will eat them alive

OU OWNS THE BIG 12

Dave Campbell: Sooners own Big 12 for now, but Longhorns on their way

ARLINGTON — I found myself inside that huge AT&T Stadium (often called JerryWorld because that’s where Jerry Jones’ Dallas Cowboys play their home football games), but where this particular Saturday was where the Texas Longhorns and Oklahoma Sooners were getting ready to start the game that would decide which team will represent the Big 12 Conference as football champion and enter the so-called Final Four playoff to decide this season’s national champion. Other than Oklahoma, the other three teams will be defending champion Alabama, Clemson and Notre Dame. And that’s exclusive company.

But first Oklahoma had to defeat Texas, something it could not do back in October when the teams first played that Red River Showdown. The Longhorns won that thriller, 48-45. History (and the Las Vegas odds-makers) say it is extremely difficult for one good team to beat another good team twice in the same season. That’s why Oklahoma was favored by about four points in the early betting, but by early Saturday the betting line had gone up to seven points.

Obviously those people who put their money on Texas were also aware that Oklahoma has a lousy defense. Didn’t have one when the Sooners played Texas, didn’t have one when they played Texas Tech, didn’t even have one when they played Kansas.

And they didn’t have what Oklahoma once had when they had the Selmon brothers at defensive tackle or maybe Brian Bosworth at linebacker for three seasons starting with 1986. But what they had on Dec. 1 of this year was just good enough. And of course they had some winners to head up the offense.

Oklahoma this season reminded me of that old saying, “Jack be nimble, Jack be quick, Jack jump over the candlestick.” But Sooner quarterback Kyler Murray can do even better. He can lead his Sooner team to its greatest football victory of the season.

That is what he did in that big AT&T Stadium this past Saturday before a record attendance of 83,114, the highest attendance figure any conference football championship has ever achieved (it beat even the 1992 SEC championship game of 83,091).

Can Murray do it in his next game? I doubt it. He will be playing in the Orange Bowl against defending national champion Alabama, and last Saturday, even with a two-touchdown lead and with Alabama’s starting quarterback and Heisman Trophy contender Tua Tagovailoa knocked out of action with an ankle injury, powerful Georgia couldn’t do it. And Georgia not only beat Oklahoma last year, Georgia was ranked higher and has a better defense than Oklahoma this year.

But who knows? Maybe nothing can stop Kyler Murray this season. I know he has a decent shot to win the Heisman when that award is announced on Saturday.

(Yes, I have been the Heisman sectional representative in charge of choosing the state chairmen for Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Colorado and New Mexico since years ago when Field Scovell turned that assignment over to me.) My wife, Reba, and I used to go annually, but not since we got on up in years — I am 93.

The most memorable of our trips to the Heisman ceremony came in 1977 when Earl Campbell won the Heisman and the Heisman committee decided Earl’s mother, Ann, needed to be there to see her son be awarded college football’s highest honor. So they got in touch with Ann back in Tyler and told her they were flying her to New York for the ceremony. They arranged for someone to meet her at the New York air terminal and bring her to the Downtown Marriott Hotel, where the Heisman Trophy is always presented.

And knowing Ann Campbell would be feel lost seeing all the skyscrapers and all, they asked my wife if she would meet Ann when she arrived at the hotel and pin a rose on her. If you ever see a photo of Ann, Earl and Texas football coach Fred Akers at the Heisman ceremony, you will see the rose that my wife pinned on Ann Campbell that day.

But back to last Saturday’s game, where Kyler Murray reached down deep and did things that reminded me of what his daddy (Kevin Murray) did to Baylor in the Baylor-Texas A&M game at Kyle Field on Oct. 18, 1986, before 74,739 fans, the seventh-largest crowd ever to see a Baylor-A&M crowd on Kyle Field during the SWC years. I was there to cover the game and saw All-SWC quarterback Kevin Murray break the Baylor Nation’s collective hearts by leading the Aggies to a 31-30 victory. That game was later voted the best football game played in the SWC during the 1980s.

As you can see, I’m trying to delay as possible the fact that the Longhorns lost last Saturday’s big showdown. But they did lose, 39-27, after breaking in front and leading until late in the second quarter and moving into a 27-27 tie with OU at the end of the third quarter. At that moment it was still either team’s ball game to win or lose.

Then the bottom fell out.

Oklahoma’s field goal kicker Austin Seibert booted a 31-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter to move the Sooners ahead, 30-27 and then Kyler Murray threw an 18-yard pass to tall (6-2, 221-pound sophomore) receiver Grant Calcaterra in the Texas end zone for the touchdown that nailed down the Sooner victory. Oklahoma had moved 65 yards in 11 plays to get the score.

The odd part of it was that Calcaterra earlier had managed fewer than 325 receiving yards, and his catch in the UT end zone was a ONE-HANDED grab. That catch, experts tell us, will live on in Oklahoma history forever.

“What a play,” Dallas Morning News special contributor Spenser Davis quoted Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley as saying after the game. Incidentally, Riley is a Texan, from Muleshoe (population 5,000, in far-out West Texas), so this state didn’t lose out entirely. If Murray should win the Heisman, Riley would be hitting 2-for-2. Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield (another Texan, from the Austin area) won the award last season in Riley’s first year as OU coach.

Actually, Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger (6-3, 230, only a sophomore) played well enough for the Longhorns to win. He completed 23 of his 36 passes for a whopping 349 yards and two touchdowns and threw only one interception. But that one time he got sacked in his own end zone that resulted in OU getting a safety, that was the one that turned the game wrong-side out. And that wasn’t Sam’s fault. The Longhorn who failed to block OU sophomore cornerback Tre Brown when he came blitzing in on Ehlinger, tackling him for a safety, is the guy to blame.

And all those penalties also played a big role in the Longhorns’ downfall. Texas was flagged 13 times for 128 yards, tying a championship record for penalty yardage, and some of the flags were extremely costly — grabbing face masks and the like.

“It’s hard to win a game when you’re going backwards that many times,” one senior Longhorn said after the game.

And Texas coach Tom Herman added: “We had some aggressive penalties that were called that hurt us.”

But Ehlinger said he will be back and with the mission to win the 2019 conference title, and he has good reason to think so. Texas looked to me as the team for next year, Oklahoma a team for this current season. The Sooners lose Murray and four other offensive starters (only one starter on defense, but the defense was OU’s main weakness this season); Texas keeps its quarterback and loses only three offensive starters but does lose eight defensive starters. However, recruiting has long been a Longhorn strength.

https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/football/dave-campbell-sooners-own-big-for-now-but-longhorns-on/article_2105108f-ee43-59b8-ab1b-42f10bf50ef5.html