News Ticker
  • Texas will face Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship on Saturday, December 1st @ 11:00 AM in Arlington, TX. Game will be televised on ABC
  • Texas Basketball (5-1) loses to Michigan State in title game of Las Vegas Invitational 78-68
Sign in to follow this  
Bear19

Another Shaka shitshow

I attended the game tonight vs VCU....complete waste of time.  This team is not being coached up, no tangible offensive sets are run, poor ball protection and lazy passes continue.  This team is better than this, and this reflects on the coach.  I have waited for him to produce, and have given him enough time.  He needs to be terminated ASAP.    Losing to radford and VCU is pathetic.  Two losses in a row to his former assistants...that is pathetic and shows he doesn’t have what it takes to lead this team.  CDC needs to make a move.

I don’t know all that much about CDC’s history of coaching changes. I don’t know if he would make a change or not. I just don’t understand why you can’t look better than that at Texas. It just seems like it takes so long to even see improvement at Texas. You look at other teams with less resources and they show improvement.... ie Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma and the list could go on. I guess I am not smart enough to understand the problem. We should have a top at least 15 team in every sport, every year. I hope CDC is the man to get us there.

I think it's too early to determine whether or not Shaka is successful this season.  I mean, we've beaten UNC and then back to back losses to Radford and VCU.  The play has been inconsistent no doubt.  But if this team places 2nd in conference (face it, no one is beating Kansas), makes the tournament and advances to the sweet 16, it would be kinda hard to say Shaka should be fired.  We can complain and say "no way this team does this, that, yada yada yada.  But we didn't expect this team to go as far as they did last year either.  Give it time (again) and let's see how this squad is playing in March.  HOOK 'EM!!!

You know I'm the ultimate Shaka apologist and I'm in a very dark place after that loss. Not good. Just to give you a true appreciation of the dumpster fire that ensued at the end of the game:

7:09 - Dylan defensive rebound

6:51 - Dylan turnover

6:30 - Dylan defensive rebound

6:13 - Dylan turnover

6:09 - Dylan shooting foul

5:48 - Dylan turnover

4:54 - Dylan misses the front end of a 1-and-1

Dylan gets benched. Gee, I wonder why...

From there: Jericho makes a FG, Matt turnover, Courtney turnover, Jaxson turnover, Kerwin brick, Jaxson turnover. That's downright depressing.

Finally, Kerwin followed up his 2-12 FG, 1-7 3PT against Radford with a 1-11 FG, 0-3 3PT tonight.

Related image

1 hour ago, TexCoyote said:

I don’t know all that much about CDC’s history of coaching changes. I don’t know if he would make a change or not. I just don’t understand why you can’t look better than that at Texas. It just seems like it takes so long to even see improvement at Texas. You look at other teams with less resources and they show improvement.... ie Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma and the list could go on. I guess I am not smart enough to understand the problem. We should have a top at least 15 team in every sport, every year. I hope CDC is the man to get us there.

Agreed.  When you get the “right guy” as a coach, improvement is typically seen almost immediately.   Certainly by year 2.  This facade that you cannot make judgments until they have all their own players in place is naive.  

21 FTs to 8 FTs, that was the difference. Some of those 21 FTs shouldn't have been taken while there should have been more than 8 taken.

1 hour ago, DBut82 said:

I will say this: if this team doesn't make the tournament, I would lean toward letting Shaka go...

Agree

1 minute ago, longhorn_mig said:

Shaka isn't going anywhere unless you can find a booster that cares enough about basketball to pay that $12.9 million buyout. If it was football, you'd have boosters lining up. Not going to be the case for basketball.

Buyout is 9 million after this year. CDC has a new basketball arena to fund. CDC will do what it takes... 

7 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Buyout is 9 million after this year. CDC has a new basketball arena to fund. CDC will do what it takes... 

Is it? I thought he was guaranteed through 2022-2023 thanks to the extension from Perrin. Here's the original terms:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesheadlines/2015/05/12/see-the-full-details-of-shaka-smart-s-contract-with-the-texas-longhorns

But then Perrin extended him another year:

https://texassports.com/news/2016/8/25/university-of-texas-board-of-regents-approve-contract-extension-for-mens-basketball-coach-shaka-smart.aspx

Before the new terms of that extension, I think it would have been $9 million. If I'm wrong, please let me know. That would make me feel better. Also, if that's the case, then someone needs to correct BON's reporting:

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/4/2/17189646/shaka-smart-contract-guaranteed-texas-longhorns-chris-del-conte

"After the 2018-19 basketball season, that number will drop to $12.9 million. That’s still a lot of money."

10 hours ago, 83Dee said:

PLEASE don’t build another 17K seat arena for basketball!  What’s more embarrassing than the play is seeing half the seats are empty.  

It'll have to be at least that if ATX is paying half of the tab and wants to host concerts and special events there.

https://www.hookem.com/2018/08/03/texas-ad-chris-del-conte-creating-longhorn-live-womens-athletics-new-arena/

On a new Texas basketball arena: “We average about 9,000 for a home men’s basketball game. The stadium seats 16,000. It’s just too big. Our game times are at 8 o’clock. Interstate 35 is pretty hard to come back on at 8 o’clock. Television has made it so easy, you get a 60 or 80-inch TV at Ikea where you can never leave your couch. 

“The Drum has been great for us, the Erwin Center has been great, but I think that was built in ’76. It’s had its time, but we have to do that in a thoughtful manner. And that’s just where we’re at right now.”

On building a smaller arena: “Now this is just my mind, no one else’s mind, so let’s just start with that. But there has to be, if you start with a lower bowl that seats say 10,000. You know that upper rake, couldn’t you have a garage door that comes down that’s padded? You never see those seats. 

“Somehow a garage door comes down right now and you never see my garage. Imagine if it was padded. You’d never open it up. Now, you have a 10,000 seat basketball stadium. You’re playing in the Spurs’ arena, close the gates on the upper rake and then open them up when you have a concert. Why can’t you do that? 

“No one ever thought you’d go from the 8-track to the cassette to the Discman to an iPod to the phone. … Someone’s going to find that technology at some point and time that works for everybody.”