Bear19

Another Shaka shitshow

Agreed, they always play hard. That's the one thing I'll give Shaka. I've never seen them give up. They lost to Radford and VCU, but it wasn't due to lack of effort. Instead, they made terrible decisions, launched terrible shots, and/or committed mind numbing turnovers that eventually sealed their fate.

The lack of consistent, quality shooting has also done them in. Shaka is supposed to put them in a position to succeed, and get them to spots on the court that they can make shots. If there was only one thing I could complain about, this would be it. Shaka can coach defense, but he is terrible at coaching offense and setting up a coherent offensive game plan.

Advertise on HornSports
9 hours ago, DBut82 said:

And with all that said, the jury is still out on this season.  We're inconsistent at best.  But perhaps we go on a run, make the tourney, and look up and have a pretty decent season.  Who knows?

I was on the jury, the verdict is in my friend.

4 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Shit-show

Go ahead and hire Beard away from Tech

Funny you bring him up as I had a conversation with a crazy Tech fan, who enjoyed bashing Texas, who was terrified Texas would “steal” him from them.

3 hours ago, Bear19 said:

Well if we don’t do something we are going to be paying people to watch Texas in the Frank  Erwin Center. 

I remember back in the Bob Weltlich days where you bought 1 ticket (for ~$8) and got 2 games, the Texas men and women.

15 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

You know I have heard people mention Beard. I am not positive but i think Tech just upped him till 2023, so there would be a chunk of change to buy him out there. With buying Shaka out and Beard out, you are talking about some serious money. 

You are correct, sir.

Furk

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texastechredraiders/2018/03/05/chris-beard-agrees-six-year-contract-extension-texas-tech

16 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

You know I have heard people mention Beard. I am not positive but i think Tech just upped him till 2023, so there would be a chunk of change to buy him out there. With buying Shaka out and Beard out, you are talking about some serious money. 

If UT is serious about winning, it better pony up some serious money. It can afford it.

Unrelated b-ball .... re: this Sat night ESPN, 6pm, #1Duke - #4UVA game. ...

"Lucky" students are camped out in tents beside Cameron field house from now to Feb 20 home game with UNC.

So today ESPN crew filmed K-Ville where the tents are, and my daughter's tent got featured! Only she had class and research lab, so texted me that just her sleeping bag and friends got in the clip. I'll be looking for my priceless REI air mattress I "loaned" her (if I ever get it back).

Was said on Cowherd this week, or maybe was the Big Monday broadcast of the Duke-Syracuse game, that Coach K was only a .500 coach at Army  before going to Duke. You never know how the fit will turn out. Texas needs to land whatever works for the long haul.

I didn't get inside Cameron when I was there, but did attend a parents' buffet in a banquet hall next door, above Duke's trophy room where the 5 titles were displayed and literally a wall of Player of the Year recognitions. Decades of effort and accomplishments. Same as football here.

Texas needs to think long-term and consistency, year in and year out. If only.

ps. Just noticed that Coach K played at Army under Bob Knight... then coached there from 1975-80, so that's how that factored in.

I check the scores these days, but have not been watching hoops.  Too frustrating.  A good game followed by one or more poor showings in a row is the pattern thus far.  Coaching needs to get the team up night after night or there is a serious problem with the staff.  We will see what happens at the end of tonight’s game, but I am not holding my breath.

I think Shaka's seat is full blown hot right now. IMO, his only hope is to make the tourney and finish way better than expected.

We're so damned inconsistent. A different team shows up for every game.

I think the same team shows up each night. They play hard. They just aren’t playing Shaka’s game. He made his name playing 40 minutes of full court D. Havoc.  Now that he’s at Texas and recruiting big time talent he doesn’t play that style. 

He reminds me of Rick Barnes at the end.  Recruiting 4 and 5 star players and changing his style to suit the players.  Now that Rick isn’t recruiting 5 stars he seems to be doing OK.  I like Rick and am pulling for the other UT with the funny orange this year.

when Texas gets its next coach, if Shaka can’t turn it around, I hope he doesn’t change when he gets here.  We would be hiring him for a reason and unless he’s a top 5 coach it isn’t because he’s good at coaching 5 stars.  Chris Beard is good doing it his way recruit those players  

The clear front runner and fan base's preferred choice is Chris Beard from Tech. However, that's going to take a lot of money to make it happen. As I've said before, if it's football, it happens. Basketball is another story. After that, I'd assume the popular names will be Eric Musselman from Nevada and Gregg Marshall from Wichita State. There's also Fred Hoiberg. He sucked in the NBA but he's proven he can win in the Big 12.

31 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

I didn’t watch the game, but the song remains the same.  Texas doesn’t can coaches midseason, so we will wait for the offseason.   I hope our currently signed recruits don’t jump ship, but we need a change either way.  

I would jump ship if he stayed.