News Ticker
  • Texas Basketball falls to #7 Kansas 80-78 in Lawrence on Monday night
Sign in to follow this  
Bear19

Another Shaka shitshow

5 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Do our boosters care enough about hoops to do it? New gym won't need fillin' for a couple of years. I bet Shaka stays at least another year barring a calamity. 

This. I could be wrong, but I don’t see a booster or group of boosters caring enough to buy him out. If it was football, he’d already be gone.

From watching a small part of the game and reading other boards, sounds like there were more Tech fans in the Erwin Center Saturday than good guys. And they were louder.

The lack of action on this thread sort of confirms that. IDMAS

@Bear19, I was there and can unfortunately confirm that they were at least louder than our fans on many occasions. Not sure about the actual numbers, but if I had to guess it was probably close to 50/50, which is downright shameful. It was especially evident when the Tech fans started a defense chant. I've been to almost all of the home games, and sadly, this game was probably the most engaged our fans have been all season. Most of the lower bowl is asleep for the majority of every game, which resulted in an atmosphere closer to a neutral site game. Students haven't technically returned from the winter break, but the non-existence of the student section for games is depressing. What's even more frustrating, we easily could have won this game, but a couple of mistakes at the end of the game killed us.

That said, I'm going to be there in good times and bad. I'll be watching tonight to see if they can pull off the upset in Lawrence, and I'll be back in those stands for the OU sucks game on Saturday. Here's to hoping for a turnaround.

3 hours ago, longhorn_mig said:

Most of the lower bowl is asleep for the majority of every game, which resulted in an atmosphere closer to a neutral site game.

I'm an old guy but we need the students down low behind the visiting teams bench instead of in the worse seats in the arena area which is behind the boards. Give them good seats and they will come.

In years past I have been to games in the lower section where I or my kids would stand up and we were asked to please sit down (which we did, no need to be rude back). I get "money talks" but you're right, "most of the lower section" is rarely loud. Add the fact that the Drum is and has been a terrible venue for years, way before Smart or Barnes ever step foot in Austin. 

10 hours ago, longhorn_mig said:

Fight and claw all game, and that’s the final shot we get. So frustrating.

Fight they did! I was impressed with the way they fought. A couple of questionable calls/no calls at the end didn't help Texas but you are playing at Kansas.

56 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Fight they did! I was impressed with the way they fought. A couple of questionable calls/no calls at the end didn't help Texas but you are playing at Kansas.

Very true. Just a heart breaker. This especially hurts regarding the last play:

59 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

Also, joked with my buddies during the game that this was the reason for Febres' cold shooting until the end of the game. Glad he could confirm.

Yea, not a fan of "the man bun".

You seem to follow the basketball team so something I have noticed this year. Does it seem that Osetkowski is playing more timid since he lost the 30 lbs they always mention he has? I ask because it seems like every game he misses easy shots under the basket or loses rebounds he should have. Last night's example was he missed 3 shots in a row within 2 feet of the basket.

3 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

You seem to follow the basketball team so something I have noticed this year. Does it seem that Osetkowski is playing more timid since he lost the 30 lbs they always mention he has? I ask because it seems like every game he misses easy shots under the basket or loses rebounds he should have. Last night's example was he missed 3 shots in a row within 2 feet of the basket.

Yeah, this season's version of Dylan is even more frustrating than last season (which I didn't think was possible). He often hesitates and is timid on the offensive end, which has led to terrible shots and turnovers like the ones on display last night. Also, he needs to stop with the pump fakes at the arc. No one is buying it. What's even more perplexing though is he's leading our team in rebounding. In that role he's aggressive, assertive, and throws his frame around like he did last night.

If you want to drive yourself crazy, go dig into the Pomeroy stats. My buddy looked at our tempo stats and compared them to prior Shaka teams. As you'll recall, the offensive tempo was supposed to be a key issue to address in the offseason. While at VCU, Shaka's teams ranked 69th, 156th, 173rd, 91st, 22nd, and 70th in tempo. Shaka's tenure thus far at UT, including this season: 306th, 212th, 316th, and 313th.

Buddy also looked back at Pomeroy's luck metric (actual results vs. expected results) during Shaka's tenure. Essentially, the worse your rank, the more you underachieve. Shaka's tenure at UT:

2018-2019 (so far): 334th

2017-2018: 263rd

2016-2017: 348th

2015-2016: 118th

2 hours ago, longhorn_mig said:

Buddy also looked back at Pomeroy's luck metric (actual results vs. expected results) during Shaka's tenure. Essentially, the worse your rank, the more you underachieve. Shaka's tenure at UT:

2018-2019 (so far): 334th

2017-2018: 263rd

2016-2017: 348th

2015-2016: 118th

Shaka must be doing something right. The play has been a constant dismal, so our expectations must be going up. :huh:

6 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

Dylan is soft this season, his weight loss looks like muscle and strength loss. He had an edge previously, now he looks like a skinny high school kid out there.  Shouldn’t have gone to the “healthy” diet!

28 minutes ago, Earl Nobis Jefferson said:

I've lost all confidence he can develop a quality, competitive program now.  Proof is right here.  What existed at VCU seems to have never materialized here.  

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to agree.  It was easy to speculate that Shaka's success at VCU would translate to success here because, well, "we're Texas".  But I think that assumption was based on arrogance tbh.  The reason he was successful at VCU was because it was VCU.  The athletes he recruited were hungry.  They played with a chip on their shoulder and all had something to prove.  The athletes that he recruits here, while probably more talented, don't have the same fire in their belly.  The 5* & 4* guys that he's landing are typical of the entitled athletes that you expect from big time programs.  And while they typically have no ceiling, it's obvious that Shaka isn't the right guy to "coach em up" and position them to play winning ball.  I like Shaka. But how many "wait til next year's" do we have to go thru before we have a consistent sweet 16 type team?  

And with all that said, the jury is still out on this season.  We're inconsistent at best.  But perhaps we go on a run, make the tourney, and look up and have a pretty decent season.  Who knows?

3 hours ago, DBut82 said:

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to agree.  It was easy to speculate that Shaka's success at VCU would translate to success here because, well, "we're Texas".  But I think that assumption was based on arrogance tbh.  The reason he was successful at VCU was because it was VCU.  The athletes he recruited were hungry.  They played with a chip on their shoulder and all had something to prove.  The athletes that he recruits here, while probably more talented, don't have the same fire in their belly.  The 5* & 4* guys that he's landing are typical of the entitled athletes that you expect from big time programs.  And while they typically have no ceiling, it's obvious that Shaka isn't the right guy to "coach em up" and position them to play winning ball.  I like Shaka. But how many "wait til next year's" do we have to go thru before we have a consistent sweet 16 type team?  

I could be wrong but it looks like our players are hungry for some decent coaching. I don’t think entitlement is the problem.